Hey! What does everyone think of Visors?!

SomeoneWhoKnowsRory

Dec 9, 2006
Hello everyone I was just wondering what you all thought about visors?

Full face visors in leagues like beer leagues and stuff?

Maybe put it on a Bauer? How do you think it would look?

helmetbw0.jpg
+
visorhj7.jpg

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
I have that same helmet, used a half visor for part of a season. I loved the thing until it got scratched. I went back to the full cage and have recently taken 2 or 3 pucks off the cage. Glad I didn't have the visor on at the time. I'd go with the full face visor if you are to get one, just don't buy a cheap one or they'll fog up on you and maybe have some distortion.

RangerSteve

I've got the same helmet but I use the 1/2 visor from Oakley(not the really thin one but the next size up). I can't really complain about it, but I HATED using a full shield. I always found it easier to breathe with a cage than the full visory.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I tried the half shield/cage combo and I felt like I was in prison. I'll stick with a cage until I get paid to play hockey.

SomeoneWhoKnowsRory

Dec 9, 2006
I tried the half shield/cage combo and I felt like I was in prison. I'll stick with a cage until I get paid to play hockey.

Really prison? I was thinking about getting either the ones I showed or the cage/visor combo but now im hearing alot of negative comments like can't breath and stuff...hmmm...

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
I've made the jump from mask to visor for about a month now. I've noticed an improvement in seeing the play develope and maybe it's psychological but my peripheral vision has improved as well.

hockeygiant_1928_81460805

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Came close to switching to a visor from a cage for my beer league, but decided against. I don't trust other players to keep their sticks down, and an errant deflection could do wonders for dental work. Full cage 4 Life from me.

CFM48-BK.JPG

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Came close to switching to a visor from a cage for my beer league, but decided against. I don't trust other players to keep their sticks down, and an errant deflection could do wonders for dental work. Full cage 4 Life from me.

couldn't agree more. I'm not too worried about pucks, because pucks hitting faces don't happen a LOT. But sticks on the other hand... I know I've been hit more than a couple times in the cage. If I was a pro I'd be wearing a half shield just to protect the eyes. Teeth are replaceable but eyes aren't.

MMcD

Dec 24, 2006
Chicago burbs
I used a full Itech visor for one game, never again. On the ice it was fine, but on the bench it fogged up completely.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
I wear a 1/2 visor and a mouth guard and am considering just moving to a full cage. Beer league hockey isn't worth the risks associated, whether it be a deflected puck, inadvertant high stick, or whatever.

Better safe than sorry in my eyes.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I can't stand the closed in feeling you get from those full face shields. I'll stick with the full cage. I don't have to worry about it getting scratched and it won't fog up. The full shield distorts you vision a bit, especially on the sides.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
couldn't agree more. I'm not too worried about pucks, because pucks hitting faces don't happen a LOT. But sticks on the other hand... I know I've been hit more than a couple times in the cage. If I was a pro I'd be wearing a half shield just to protect the eyes. Teeth are replaceable but eyes aren't.

After playing for 17 years one thing I noticed is that I take more sticks in the face area with a visor on than without one. Seems like some players see the cage as a free pass to get the stick up high. I think alot of it has to do with players under 18 having to wear a cage for so long they forget to keep the sticks down. I know some are accidental but Ive had the same player do it repeatedly more than once.

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
I've made the jump from mask to visor for about a month now. I've noticed an improvement in seeing the play develope and maybe it's psychological but my peripheral vision has improved as well.

hockeygiant_1928_81460805

This is the same visor I use,never even though of wearing a full one

RJ8812*

back in minor hockey i used the cage, 'cept for one year i used the shield/cage combo, it was alright, but since it was itech it eventually got scratched to ****

since i've moved on to beer leagues, i used to have an itech half shield, and much like hte combo after a year's use it got scratched badly, plus it always fogged up (didnt matter what i put on it). This year i bought an Oakley half shield, and so far i love it, no scratches or marks, and it hasnt fogged up yet. They're alittle pricey ($100 CDN), but if you want quality, i suggest an Oakley

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I used to play with a cage but switched over to the Oakley Half-Visor and felt a lot more comfortable. Mind you it seemed like I was getting clipped and hit in the face a ton with the cage on, but that seemed to stop once I put on the visor...guess I was lucky or something.

I personally didn't really feel as if I could see through the cage, whereas with the visor my vision wasn't impaired at all.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I honestly don't see how it's gets scratched so badly. Might have some minor ones here and there, as long as you don't go tossing your helmet in a bag with skates and stuff your find. And if you do, all you have to do is wrap it in your jersey first. I've only ever used shields my whole hockey career and haven't had a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad