Post-Game Talk (GBU): Hey Sabres... You Suck #5

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I am more shocked that people thought Reinhart was going to be good. The guy doesn't have any elite skills. He should have never been drafted before Draisaitl (will never forget how dumbfounded I was that draft night). The guy scored some lucky goals his rookie year and has mailed it in ever since. Motivation is in the DNA ,and Griffin Reinhart's lack of, should have been a huge red flag.
I can see why you would have been dumbfounded if you thought we drafted Griffin Reinhart...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm going to preface this by saying I bid up to $1900 on a Reinhart jersey so......

The issue I have is MY eye test. Sam has not once in 3 seasons impressed me with an outstanding play. Not once. During our game with NJ, they have a 19 year old rookie named Blatt I think. Unheralded, and who knows what type of career he'll have but he impressed me more in that one game with a burst of speed, a flashy finish, hustle and battle for the puck then 23 has in 3 seasons.

Sure, corsi and stats have their important roles but after an over two season sample size, I'd figure once he'd go "wow'd" me.

That is very deflating to me.
The problem here is your expecting Reinhart to be someone hes not. He was never flashy in the WHL either so where you got that idea is your own fault.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think people are expecting him to not be a minus 8 with 0 points 5 games into his fourth year.

Or maybe just for his fan club to...you know..admit that’s not good enough instead of talking about how many shots his line took that didn’t even go on net like it’s somehow more important than anything.

“You miss 100% of the shots you take”
-Sam Reinhart

“Yeah but look how many!”
-Sam Reinhart apologists

Reactions: Ralonzo and Icicle

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
just lol if you can't recognize that sam's challenging ovi for best forward in the nhl rn

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
And no one is expecting him to be Jack Eichel (although this place is littered with posts of the same people defending everything he does claiming he’s the better player for over two years now). But can he at least be as good as another second overall in the last 15 years? Are we asking too much there?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I really hope they win tonight so this place can lighten up a little bit.

Well...they’re without Kesler, Vatanen, Lindholm, and lost Theodore to expansion...and Getzlaf, Eaves and Gibson are all questionable.

I dare say if we lose this place will do whatever the online equivalent of burn to the ground is. Actually I think that’s what Reddit is.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Is Phil "Wowie" Housley going to get fired?

I thought the team looked pretty good last night and was sort of OK 5 on 5 for the first time this year. I also saw some heart, grit, and "compete".

Nolan's hit was fantastic. Eichel seemed to ratchet it up a notch, get mad, and clearly wanted to win; he was trying to do more than he has been doing, which is good.

Overall, not enough. Just wondering if Phil will be sacrificed to the hockey gods. I guess it's a question of how long this streak continues.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The problem here is your expecting Reinhart to be someone hes not. He was never flashy in the WHL either so where you got that idea is your own fault.
It's not just flashiness. He does not generate clear cut scoring chances or consistently score goals that are not simply tap ins and redirects. This is not enough for me. Getzlaf is not exactly flashy player to me, but he is very productive high-impact NHLer. Not sure I can say the same about Sam. In fact, I'm sure I can't at this point in time. So those advocating he deserves 5+6mil contract and much more TOI can you please finally shut up on this topic until Sam proves otherwise.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Is Phil "Wowie" Housley going to get fired?

I thought the team looked pretty good last night and was sort of OK 5 on 5 for the first time this year. I also saw some heart, grit, and "compete".

Nolan's hit was fantastic. Eichel seemed to ratchet it up a notch, get mad, and clearly wanted to win; he was trying to do more than he has been doing, which is good.

Overall, not enough. Just wondering if Phil will be sacrificed to the hockey gods. I guess it's a question of how long this streak continues.

Players will go before the coach will. Botterill picked the coach. He inherited a group with a track record.

Reactions: Ralonzo

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Could it possibly be that they all just lack that skill?
Ya, think????

We have one of the worst D in the league. In the 2nd period, I watched McCabe in our zone behind the goal line and right of the post, send an approx 10' pass to Gorges who was on the near boards below the hashmarks who then took- and I literally counted 1001, 1002, 1003... about 3 seconds to receive the pass, handle the puck, look up ice at his options and finally send the pass.

All which took too long and resulted in an in zone turnover and LA counterattack.

And that's our #2 pairing!

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
upload_2017-10-15_16-19-7.png

We need you Tim

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
I actually thought this wasnt as bad as the previous couple of losses. They were in it all game and didnt look as uncoordinated.

Reactions: Icicle

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I actually thought this wasnt as bad as the previous couple of losses. They were in it all game and didnt look as uncoordinated.

Kings hadn't scored a PP goal all year. They went 3/3 last night and made it look easy. That's the elephant that isn't being discussed while we all bitch and moan about individual players. 5v5 they played fine.

Reactions: Ralonzo

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That was painful to watch from McCabe. One of the highest counts of incorrect decisions I can remember from any dman at any level.

Not kidding.

Every time he had to make a choice, he made the wrong one. Every time. Not picking on him, just observing.

Don’t love Griffith on the ice down a goal late, either.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Another observation: for a guy about “effort,” I’d love to see more of it when the opposition sends in a hard wraparound dump in. He is ZERO help to our defensemen, who are playing poorly enough as is - AND having enough trouble grasping the breakout when they HAVE the time to properly set up - and it needs to be better.

Would people think I’m insane, though, if I’m not yet overly worried about the team? I have concerns about individual players, but I do think that we are currently seeing the lowest level of play this team will show all season.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Would people think I’m insane, though, if I’m not yet overly worried about the team? I have concerns about individual players, but I do think that we are currently seeing the lowest level of play this team will show all season.

Right there with you.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I can’t imagine them doing worse than 1 point in 5 games but that’s a real glass half full attitude.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I was hard on Reinhart for his play initially this year and deservedly so in my personal opinion. He has looked better out west. He gave up his body numerous times to try to make plays and I liked that in him. I acknowledge there have not been results--but some of that is just bad luck and bouncy pucks. He created a lot of chances for himself and his line mates. Since I did not see him live leading up to the draft I had no horse in the race other than really liking Ekblad.. I saw the way Reinhart was used in the world juniors and thought we had a winner. I still think he is a good top 6 forward but there will always be questions as to whether he should have been picked second over all.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad