Post-Game Talk (GBU): Hey Sabres... You Suck #5

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Remember the people who were adamant that it was Reinhart making Eichel better and not the other way around and they had the invisible stats to prove it?

They’re the same people who lose their mind when you point out a second overall pick in year 4 has been on the ice for most of the goals allowed this year and has produced a whopping nothing.

Here’s a non invisible stat to that first paragraph narrative:

Eichel 7 against teams top players.
Reinhart 0 against nobodies.
Remember when Eichel got embarrassed by New Jersey's 4th line? Good times.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Don't be ridiculous. The entire NHL knew exactly who Connor McDavid was before the 2013-2014 season. Pegula was following the Pens plan of getting superstar centers high in the draft. Murray was brought in to make that plan work. The grand prize in all of this was McDavid. They didn't tank for Reinhart.
Superstars center? Like Sam Reinhart was supposed to be? You are twisting history and facts. We tanked for 2 years - to get the 2-14 and 2015 top picks. Sam is one of the products of this tank.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Human beings can watch Sam Reinhart and Jack Eichel play and hockey with their own two eyes and come to the determination that Sam Reinhart is better at hockey. No wonder we can't come to a logical consensus on things that actually matter in this world. :laugh:

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I am more shocked that people thought Reinhart was going to be good. The guy doesn't have any elite skills. He should have never been drafted before Draisaitl (will never forget how dumbfounded I was that draft night). The guy scored some lucky goals his rookie year and has mailed it in ever since. Motivation is in the DNA ,and Griffin Reinhart's lack of, should have been a huge red flag.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I am more shocked that people thought Reinhart was going to be good. The guy doesn't have any elite skills. He should have never been drafted before Draisaitl (will never forget how dumbfounded I was that draft night). The guy scored some lucky goals his rookie year and has mailed it in ever since. Motivation is in the DNA ,and Griffin Reinhart's lack of, should have been a huge red flag.
Could Aladyyn actually be Griffith? That would explain it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Remember the people who were adamant that it was Reinhart making Eichel better and not the other way around and they had the invisible stats to prove it?

They’re the same people who lose their mind when you point out a second overall pick in year 4 has been on the ice for most of the goals allowed this year and has produced a whopping nothing.

Here’s a non invisible stat to that first paragraph narrative:

Eichel 7 against teams top players.
Reinhart 0 against nobodies.

And they’ll still criticize Eichel for defense or perceived effort before Reinhart for anything.

That’s called an agenda.

He’s not your puppy. He’s not some lovable scamp that you just can’t be mad at. He’s supposed to be a cornerstone of this franchise. And his side of the house collapsed.

Sweet. I'm not doing any of that. I'm advocating patience for everyone on the roster.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Superstars center? Like Sam Reinhart was supposed to be? You are twisting history and facts. We tanked for 2 years - to get the 2-14 and 2015 top picks. Sam is one of the products of this tank.

Talk about twisting history and facts. Part of the disappointment of the 2014 draft was the combined perception of a lack of superstar prospects at the top of the draft and the lack of depth. No McDavid, no Eichel, no MacKinnon, no Matthews, no star center.

That's why Ekblad went first. That's why Tallon waited until the time he made the pick to listen to trades. If there's a homerun star talent at the top of the draft, you don't hesitate. You don't wait on a trade to materialize.

That pick was made completely in understanding that the real prize was in the next draft. Reinhart, Bennett, or Draisaitl were the compliment to McEichel. None of them were ever seen seen as future superstars in their draft year by draft experts.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No one is saying we tanked for Sam only. But Sam was part of the tank objectives. Most tank trades were done before he was drafted so any argument that he was not part of the tank objectives is a joke in my eyes.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I want to see Reinhart succeed because I'm a Sabres fan. If he happens to have a breakout year at center, it's going to be hilarious to look back at the posts from people who are crucifying him now. The whole team needs to be better. If we were to make a list of the top 10 reasons why the Sabres have sucked for 5 games, Reinhart's play wouldn't even make the top 5.

Reactions: Sabretooth

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
No one is saying we tanked for Sam only. But Sam was part of the tank objectives. Most tank trades were done before he was drafted so any argument that he was not part of the tank objectives is a joke in my eyes.

Walk back from your original statement slowly. You'll get hurt moving too fast.

Reactions: Sabretooth

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I want to see Reinhart succeed because I'm a Sabres fan. If he happens to have a breakout year at center, it's going to be hilarious to look back at the posts from people who are crucifying him now. The whole team needs to be better. If we were to make a list of the top 10 reasons why the Sabres have sucked for 5 games, Reinhart's play wouldn't even make the top 5.

The problem with Reinhart is he's now 3 seasons removed from being drafted second overall. He is and should be held to a higher standard, just like Eichel should be.

Great analytics are not enough if the results aren't there, and through five games so far, he hasn't produced.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Reinhart has to start scoring. There is no way around that, but acting like he is garbage is stupid.
Don't think most are saying he is garbage but his production is garbage compared to what you associate with at top 10 pick. Right now he is playing and producing like a middle 6 tweener, which is far from my expectations from him. I guess different people have different expectations and that's part of the whole issue but the fact is his play is not what almost anyone would normally expect from him.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Sam has played well. It has not resulted in goals but he has played well.

I do think his play last night was much better than is has been, for sure.

But for a 2nd overall pick in his 3rd year, 5 SOG 0G 0A -8 through 5 GP isn't good enough. He needs to be better.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I'm going to preface this by saying I bid up to $1900 on a Reinhart jersey so......

The issue I have is MY eye test. Sam has not once in 3 seasons impressed me with an outstanding play. Not once. During our game with NJ, they have a 19 year old rookie named Blatt I think. Unheralded, and who knows what type of career he'll have but he impressed me more in that one game with a burst of speed, a flashy finish, hustle and battle for the puck then 23 has in 3 seasons.

Sure, corsi and stats have their important roles but after an over two season sample size, I'd figure once he'd go "wow'd" me.

That is very deflating to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->