Hey ACC, Send the NHL a message!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeydad

Sep 10, 2004
There's lot's of talk lately on radio shows promoting a fan boycott of tomorrow night's game.

Of course that won't happen but what if each fan showed up 10-20 minutes late?

The CBC would have half a period of broadcasting a game surrounded by empty seats!
That would make a statement to both the players and owners.

Come on Toronto, give 'em hell!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
hockeydad said:
There's lot's of talk lately on radio shows promoting a fan boycott of tomorrow night's game.

The CBC would have half a period of broadcasting a game surrounded by empty seats!

Anyone I've talked to who is going to the game didn't realize it starts at 630 so that may happen anyway.

Why is it that the people who are gung-ho on boycotts never have tickets in the first place?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
ACC1224 said:
Why is it that the people who are gung-ho on boycotts never have tickets in the first place?

Because if you bought the tickets, you're still lining the owner's pockets. He'd lose out on concession/merchandise sales on the arena, but as long as you've bought a ticket, he could care less if you show up to the game or not.

And spending money for something and not using it if goofy, unless it's some sort of collectable, you may has well throw your money in the toilet.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I'll be at the game tomorrow, and I'll be there early enough to see the pregame skate - nothing like that sharp "pingk" off-the-glass sound only a superstar can make....

I'm there because I love international hockey - I couldn't care less where the money goes. Last time I checked, we lived in a capitalist society, and making money is not unlawful.

If you wanna boycott in such a wimpy way (coming late?!? Jeez, what a Canadian way to protest...), why not just shove your head in the sand and scream.

In my eyes, this event is completely independent of the labour dispute. NHL blows anyway.
This is about hockey, and national pride.

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
hockeydad said:

The seats don't fill up until its at around the 10 minute mark of the first/second/third period anyway lol.

Anyway you already paid for the ticket so why boycott? A real boycott would be if nobody bought tickets in the first place which won't happen.

hockeydad

Sep 10, 2004
Buying a ticket plus the airfare from Alberta to the center of the universe is a little expensive.

Apparently, according to the responses, the REAL Canadian way to show the fans displeasure is to shrug our collective shoulders and say nothing.

Enjoy the game because the NHL season is over before it begins!

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
screw that, this is the World Cup and the semi finals. If i had a ticket i'd sure as hell be in my seat before the anthems started.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Hey Hockeydad - I've got news for you. You haven't said what the helll you're protesting!!!

If you wanna be a sheep and do as your favourite DJ commands, knock yerself out.

Frankly, I'll be there celebrating a victory for my country. OH CANADA!!!!

Last edited:

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Here's a better idea, that doesnt invlove missing out on a great game, or putting heads in sand.

Either make a bunch of signs that are anti lock-out somethin along the lines of...
"We Want Hockey" or "Dont forget about the fans" or "Goodenow+Bettman= No Hockey." Something along those lines. Call all the local radio shows and media outlets, tell them theres gonna be a rally, and you will have every major tv, radio and newspaper in Canada there. Instead of showing up late, show up early, really early, show up at 9am, and protest the good old fashion way, by walking in circles and coming up with annoying but catchy rhymes. wanna take it further, take the signs inside with you, and try getting a few anti- CBA chants started during the game. Let the country know how upset you are. All it takes is a few loud, obnoxious and very persistent fans to get some good chants going. any volunteers?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
mowzie said:
Here's a better idea, that doesnt invlove missing out on a great game, or putting heads in sand.

Either make a bunch of signs that are anti lock-out somethin along the lines of...
"We Want Hockey" or "Dont forget about the fans" or "Goodenow+Bettman= No Hockey." Something along those lines. Call all the local radio shows and media outlets, tell them theres gonna be a rally, and you will have every major tv, radio and newspaper in Canada there. Instead of showing up late, show up early, really early, show up at 9am, and protest the good old fashion way, by walking in circles and coming up with annoying but catchy rhymes. wanna take it further, take the signs inside with you, and try getting a few anti- CBA chants started during the game. Let the country know how upset you are. All it takes is a few loud, obnoxious and very persistent fans to get some good chants going. any volunteers?

best idea I've heard since the end of the NHL season :handclap: ...IF I lived in Toronto and IF I had tickets I would definitely partake in the loud obnoxious chanting!

High flyin' Habs*

Teezax said:
screw that, this is the World Cup and the semi finals. If i had a ticket i'd sure as hell be in my seat before the anthems started.

Right on!

High flyin' Habs*

Seven_Nation_Army said:
best idea I've heard since the end of the NHL season :handclap: ...IF I lived in Toronto and IF I had tickets I would definitely partake in the loud obnoxious chanting!

Im still prety sure that the CBA wouldnt give a rats a** about the protesting.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
smoothskater said:
Im still prety sure that the CBA wouldnt give a rats a** about the protesting.

ya, your right, it's probably better to just roll over and let the CBA make sweet love to our backsides while we sit here and take every NHLPA rep's quote like a bad hemroids ready to explode. I like my idea better; be active and make yourself heard.

Last edited:

High flyin' Habs*

mowzie said:
ya, your right, it's probably better to just roll over and let the CBA make sweet love to our backsides while we sit here and take every NHLPA rep's quote like a bad hemroids ready to explode. I like my idea better; be active and make yourself heard.

OK but do you actualy think the Toronto crowd would do something like that?? Protesting is beyond them :p: .

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
smoothskater said:
OK but do you actualy think the Toronto crowd would do something like that?? Protesting is beyond them :p: .

Protesting isn't beyond anyone, even mindless drones can make a sign. The difficulty level isnt all that high. It might not make a difference either way, but the way I see it, is the fans last chance to really make an impact is fading as the World Cup winds down.

High flyin' Habs*

mowzie said:
Protesting isn't beyond anyone, even mindless drones can make a sign. The difficulty level isnt all that high. It might not make a difference either way, but the way I see it, is the fans last chance to really make an impact is fading as the World Cup winds down.

I get your idea and its prety good but I just dont see the people doing that, showing up 10-20 mins late? The thing is this is the last hockey were gonna see for a very long while, enjoy it while you still got it.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
smoothskater said:
I get your idea and its prety good but I just dont see the people doing that, showing up 10-20 mins late? The thing is this is the last hockey were gonna see for a very long while, enjoy it while you still got it.

If you read my original post, which you obviously did, you'd see that I actually shot down the idea of showing up late, and encouraged fans to show up early. You might wanna re-read my post before replying.

Hard feelings aside, Go Canada!

hockeydad

Sep 10, 2004
Well, wasn't that ever fun!!

You may dispute my original tactic but the point is, after this tournament is over and these idiots go on strike, we the fan will have NOEFFECTIVE FORUM to voice our displeasure!

Aside from the few idiots who were preoccupied with the price of the ticket, it was great to see the real hockey fans who want to be more than silent monkeys going with the flow!

Betmann and Goodenow couldn't organize the cleaning of a 1 hole outhouse with an army!!

Both need to be fired because they will never agree on the color of the sky.
It's time for some sanity.

I vote for Wayne for NHL commissioner and Bobby Orr as head of the NHLPA!!!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A thousand homemade signs of protest at the final would make for quite a sight, shown on the television and in newspapers.

Or, it just takes one man to do a kind of hunger strike, or sit on a telephone pole, or other such dramatic act from the moment the lockout begins UNTIL an NHL season is guarranteed by a reached agreement or arbitration or something.

Do something!

I am working in South Korea so any public act I do won't have the same impact. I can email and encourage, and have done so on many sites and will continue...

Come on, someone, grab the headlines and get the fan's interest factored into the equation.

We can make a difference.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I still haven't figured out what you guys want to protest.

Do you want to protest that there will be no NHL this year? Well, that's a pretty shapeless target.

Are you protesting the players for being greedy and not agreeing to a cap?

Are you protesting the owners for paying the players too much, and therefore trying to come up with a CBA to control their own poor business practices?

Are you protesting the league for overexpanding to the point where the product is such crap that they can not generate television revenue to subsidize small market teams?

Are you protesting the World Cup, because it's actually a money making venture, and you don't like the idea of people making money when you DESERVE your Saturday night fix for the next 8 months?

Let's see you whinjers fit all that onto a sandwich board and parade outside the ACC....

Face it. A long shut down is the best thing for this tired boring league. Seeing what hockey is like when you have more than one superstar on a team should be enough evidence of that.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
mpdman said:
I still haven't figured out what you guys want to protest.

Do you want to protest that there will be no NHL this year?...
Are you protesting the players...?...Are you protesting the owners?
BOTH sides, not either/or.

They have their own interests to defend, the franchises and the players, but the fans' interests aren't factored into the equation. There's no reason the season shouldn't be played: if they took into consideration the fans' interest, and the good of the league longterm, then they would submit to some sort of short-term arbitration (for a year perhaps) and continue negotiating in the meantime. Instead, the players plan on some time off and the owners build a war chest to cover an extended lockout.

The fans needn't passively sit about going "Gee, if they can't agree then no hockey for a year or two is what must happen then, oh well, it can't be helped." (whiners are those who complain after the fact, when nothing can be done, like fantasy sports players who criticize settings after the draft - protesters do something before it's too late)

What is needed is a few to lead the effort to put BOTH sides feet to the fire on this thing.

A "FOR THE FANS" campaign could be directed at both the NHL and NHLPA, with "FOR THE FANS" on signs at the final game, maybe with a website someone can whip up, with an online petition people can click on, individuals can do some sort of protest event to attact the very easily drawable media - after all, the media has focussed too much on the inevitability of there not being a season if the two sides don't get there way soon.

I'm willing to donate time and energy to the cause; many of us will have a lot of extra time and money on our hands without a season to follow.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
"FOR THE FANS" I like that, do it up, it has a nice ring to it, and is simple, effective at straight forward.

You guys lucky enough to go to the final game have a few days to get organized. My brother and a few of his buddies from Edmonton flew down there for the last few games, I will make the aware of this, and pass on any sort of info that I need to. Let's do this guys, It's gonna be alot harder to do after Tuesday.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Sorry guys, I still don't get it. Protesting some of the best hockey ever, because the NHL can't get their shyte together. It's like protesting the academy awards because Catwoman sucked.

If you guys enjoy watcing Nashville play Carolina on a Tuesday in February, knock yerselves out.
Personally, I haven't watched an NHL reg season game for years. It's completely UNWATCHABLE!

Like I said, we need this shutdown to turn this crappy NHL product upside-down.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Now thats a dedicated hockey fan :teach: :shakehead

Im all for this but im stuck in New Brunswick I'll make a sign and put it in my window. I'd be more than glad to help with anything i can over the net. Maybe we can get some Moncton new brunswickers to the first Wildcats game with some signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad