Half-Assed GDT: He's back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I will severely judge anybody who fails to adhere to the following commonly violated grammar rules:
  • Numbers from one to nine are written out; numbers greater than 10 may be expressed in Arabic numerals
  • Always put a comma after a full date, no matter how stupid you think it looks
  • Add apostrophe plus "s" to indicate the singular possessive for words ending in "s"
  • In American English, periods and commas always go inside the closing quotation mark
  • Use a comma before "which," which indicates a preceding non-restrictive element; do not use a comma before "that," which indicates a preceding restrictive element
  • Don't italicize commonly used Latin (e.g., "e.g.")
  • Use a comma or the word "and" between coordinate adjectives
  • Hyphenate adjectives when the meaning is ambiguous without a hyphen; never hyphen an adverb to an adjective unless the two effectively form a single, standalone descriptor (e.g., "wholly-owned")
  • Separate complete sentences with a semicolon or em dash, not a comma--the choice between semicolon and em dash is a judgment call based on the strength of the break
  • Use an en dash to separate ranges, such as page numbers
  • The Oxford/serial comma is optional in American English but you're a clown if you don't use it

Come on.

Dis is internet forum u type how u want u r 2 srs
Man, you're gonna be as disappointed as my father is with me.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
=In all seriousness, 90% or more of my edits are done because I don't proof read at all before I submit. I'll hit submit, notice something laughably terrible, re-read my entire post, make like 10 changes and then move on.

Ha! Ha! THAT'S what I do when I see that I've posted on a wrong thread. Try to erase it and replace ot with something about that thread, before someone sees it. But, invariably, someone is already typing "Robb Robbed again!" before I can get my post finished. And, his quoting me is up there right in front of my post, for everyone to see, and making it look like I'm responding to his "catch" of my mistake, rather than my having noticed I'm on the wrong thread seconds after I hit the reply button! :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Helix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->