Here's why Quenneville still sux

Would you swap out Joel Quenneville for Bill Peters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
MM while I agree with some of what you wrote I don’t think Ulf is a “Q” guy and I think he has done solid work with our D. Forsling, Rutta, and Murphy have take steps and all look to have top 4 ceiling. He also has “fixed” the PK.

The stick work you talk about was removed with the new slashing rule.

Why would you think he's not? Ulf first 6 years in the league he played in Hartford on D with Q!?

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
It's mind-boggling that the Keep Quenneville camp can still muster double-digit votes, while watching any semblence of offense getting "coached" (or benched) out of young players like Forsling, Rutta, Kempny, DeBrincat, Hartman, Hinostrosa... AND vets like Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Saad... Now even double- or triple-shifting Kane can't cover up the warts in Quenneville's "system".

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's mind-boggling that the Keep Quenneville camp can still muster double-digit votes, while watching any semblence of offense getting "coached" (or benched) out of young players like Forsling, Rutta, Kempny, DeBrincat, Hartman, Hinostrosa... AND vets like Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Saad... Now even double- or triple-shifting Kane can't cover up the warts in Quenneville's "system".

The issue is that it is JQ or Bill Peters. Some people don't believe in analytics focused coaches and honestly his Canes team should be performing better.

Reactions: Blue Liner

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

well, through bad trades and not truly addressing the missing pieces, Kane is your only productive player on the team, teams will do as you said and is bold.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
well, through bad trades and not truly addressing the missing pieces, Kane is your only productive player on the team, teams will do as you said and is bold.

NMC-addicted Stanley is certainly not without blame, be it bad contracts, trades, drafting (McNeil), or non-signing (K. Hayes), but just look at Las Vegas for an example of what competent coaching could do with a roster full of castoffs and past-the-prime vets, while their GM botched that Russian center away. It should be abundantly obvious by now that Quenneville's "system" is strangling the offense AND defense out of this roster. There's no other explanation how so many vets and promising young players could be all slumping so hard over the same period. Seabrook has joined Keith in losing the ability to put the puck on net. Forsling and Rutta have not scored in how long? The latest guy who scored from the backend (Kempny) got sent back to the bench. Hartman's hitting the "sophomore slump" himself? One look at his late goal last night... I don't think so. Even DeBrincat has gone cold lately. On the defensive side, there's no reason professional players are so fundamentally broken in their own zone that we routinely see 3 or 4 guys converging on the opposition puck-carrier, leaving shooters wide open all over the place in high-danger areas.

Last edited:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
We can go on and on about this reason and that reason.

At the end of the day, it's just time for new blood. Period. End of story

A great run and most fan bases would give a gonad for 3 Cups in 6 seasons and a guaranteed deep playoff run, but the combination of a lot of things has closed that window.

It's time to turn the page. Page 1 is Q.

The goal is to find the next Mike Sullivan.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
NMC-addicted Stanley is certainly not without blame, be it bad contracts, trades, drafting (McNeil), or non-signing (K. Hayes), but just look at Las Vegas for an example of what competent coaching could do with a roster full of castoffs and past-the-prime vets, while their GM botched that Russian center away. It should be abundantly obvious by now that Quenneville's "system" is strangling the offense AND defense out of this roster. There's no other explanation how so many vets and promising young players could be all slumping so hard over the same period. Seabrook has joined Keith in losing the ability to put the puck on net. Forsling and Rutta have not scored in how long? The latest guy who scored from the backend (Kempny) got sent back to the bench. Hartman's hitting the "sophomore slump" himself? One look at his late goal last night... I don't think so. Even DeBrincat has gone cold lately. On the defensive side, there's no reason professional players are so fundamentally broken in their own zone that we routinely see 3 or 4 guys converging on the opposition puck-carrier, leaving shooters wide open all over the place in high-danger areas.
that is the key of my point in another post of the D-man leaving their position.

what ever the problem is, if they the Bhawks will not address it now, and in subtle moves, then it would be impossible to do it when it is needed. then the team will go in many yrs of self proclaim rebuilding state.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

A great run and most fan bases would give a gonad for 3 Cups in 6 seasons and a guaranteed deep playoff run, but the combination of a lot of things has closed that window.

page 2 should be a new overall philosophy in addressing the needs that is usually done on the GM level
then

as you said, the next mike sullivan.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I'd be willing to write this team off if I knew how they heck they'd perform with coaching that allows them to actually pressure the stifling & tight checking systems in the Central and around the league.

Coach Q's idea of "offense" basically falls off the cliff when a team like Nashville (this year Dallas as well, and many others) plays us well in their own zone. The only time we generate opportunities is when teams aren't crazy tight in their own end.

Much unlike Mike Sullivan, Q doesn't believe in keeping those teams honest by shifting how/where we pressure in our own zone & neutral zone to create odd man chances going the other way. No matter what, we have to earn every bit of offense via 5v5 outworking & out skating the other team or hoping they make mistakes. This is why we can't beat the aforementioned teams & others in a 7 game series any more. Yet, we still have a lot of guys who can put it in the net when given the opportunity, if only they got those opportunities more often.....oh well.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Quenneville's idea of working "hard" in the O zone is often to send all three forwards below the goal line (he probably calls it "outman" the opposition), while having the two D-men park at the blueline. Sure, the forwards dig the puck out more often than not (provided if Captain Intangibles doesn't trip/fall or get knocked down these days), but only to be intercepted by the other team's three forwards waiting comfortably in the vast gap from the goal line to the blue line. Upshot: 3-2 odd-man rush going the other way.

In the D zone, again, Quenneville routinely sends 3 or 4 (in any combination of forwards and D-men) to the general vicinity of the opposing puck-carrier. This usually ends up in two ways: EITHER they get the puck and make a weak clearing attempt off the boards (or an attemped pass, to nobody in particular, since every teammate is so down low), to be easily picked off by an opposing D-man near the blueline, OR they somehow let the opposing forward(s) make a quick pass or two right to a wide open shooter sitting in the high-danger scoring areas. Even if there were D-men left in front of our goalie, they're usually not [in position to be] checking anybody. Rather, they often just wave the stick futilely at the puck (and miss), or attempt some half-assed shot block (and fail), which instead end up serving as gratuitous screen for the shooter (cough Seabrook cough) or puck redirecting pylon (pre-trade Hammer).

The two dysfunctional halves must have been working out beautifully in practice, 5-on-5 or PP, but not against most opponents playing a well-structured team game. It's painful to watch.

P.S.: I never get why Quenneville tolerate or have forwards like #19 doing the fly-by "checking", i.e., doing a quick U-turn behind the opponent's net, casually slapping the stick at the puck-carrying D-man's stick (or maybe it's at the puck...) which is easily dodged via a quick pass to a teammate skating up ice near the blueline, and all of a sudden #19 (and typically another linemate in nomansland in the O zone) are way behind the odd-man rush. Conversely, when the other teams do it, #2 seems especially susceptible to being forced to cycle and turn back and drop pass.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Quenneville's idea of working "hard" in the O zone is often to send all three forwards below the goal line (he probably calls it "outman" the opposition), while having the two D-men park at the blueline. Sure, the forwards dig the puck out more often than not (provided if Captain Intangibles doesn't trip/fall or get knocked down these days), but only to be intercepted by the other team's three forwards waiting comfortably in the vast gap from the goal line to the blue line. Upshot: 3-2 odd-man rush going the other way.

In the D zone, again, Quenneville routinely sends 3 or 4 (in any combination of forwards and D-men) to the general vicinity of the opposing puck-carrier. This usually ends up in two ways: EITHER they get the puck and make a weak clearing attempt off the boards (or an attemped pass, to nobody in particular, since every teammate is so down low), to be easily picked off by an opposing D-man near the blueline, OR they somehow let the opposing forward(s) make a quick pass or two right to a wide open shooter sitting in the high-danger scoring areas. Even if there were D-men left in front of our goalie, they're usually not [in position to be] checking anybody. Rather, they often just wave the stick futilely at the puck (and miss), or attempt some half-assed shot block (and fail), which instead end up serving as gratuitous screen for the shooter (cough Seabrook cough) or puck redirecting pylon (pre-trade Hammer).

The two dysfunctional halves must have been working out beautifully in practice, 5-on-5 or PP, but not against most opponents playing a well-structured team game. It's painful to watch.

P.S.: I never get why Quenneville tolerate or have forwards like #19 doing the fly-by "checking", i.e., doing a quick U-turn behind the opponent's net, casually slapping the stick at the puck carrier's stick (or maybe it's at the puck...) which is easily dodged by the target via a quick pass to a teammate up near the blueline, and all of a sudden #19 (and typically another linemate in nomansland in the O zone) are way behind the odd-man rush.

The above is what makes Blackhawks so easy to play against. The number of grade A chances against Chicago this season is beyond alarming.

Reactions: deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
The above is what makes Blackhawks so easy to play against. The number of grade A chances against Chicago this season is beyond alarming.

Yep, when we had the clear cut talent advantage (which IMO is more on the D changing and Toews alone) we were still predictable but, oh well, try to beat that. The past couple years the predictability has killed us. Yeah, we can beat some teams and win games the old fashioned way, but nothing significant has really changed in terms of how we generate offense since scoring 3 goals in a 4 game sweep.

(provided if Captain Intangibles doesn't trip/fall or get knocked down these days)

That alone is as brutal to watch as the general team play failures.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
One thing that has changed, not for the good, is that Campbell and Leddy used carry the puck into the zone at will and go all the way behind the net with it to generate offense. Eventually that got coached out of them too.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
One thing that has changed, not for the good, is that Campbell and Leddy used carry the puck into the zone at will and go all the way behind the net with it to generate offense. Eventually that got coached out of them too.

You can include Kempny in that category. His rushes were once part of his game, but haven't seen it much this season (when he has played, that is).

Reactions: kuzy

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You can include Kempny in that category. His rushes were once part of his game, but haven't seen it much this season (when he has played, that is).

Some people don't realize how this cripples the entire team. I allows the other team just sit and wait.

Just freaking pathetic.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

I think that's what Jeremy Colliton was brought in for, though I don't think they anticipated needing a change so soon. I'd also be interested in Jim Montgomery from Denver

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think that's what Jeremy Colliton was brought in for, though I don't think they anticipated needing a change so soon. I'd also be interested in Jim Montgomery from Denver
jim montgomery season is over when ??

but overall i think you are right. i too had envision Colliton as being the heir replacement for Q, but i think the time table, b/c of way Q's is doing, i think a change is needed sooner than later.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

but overall i think you are right. i too had envision Colliton as being the heir replacement for Q, but i think the time table, b/c of way Q's is doing, i think a change is needed sooner than later.

He'll likely be coaching into April but it doesn't matter. A. Q isn't getting fired during the season if he's getting fired at all. B. Even if he was, a college coach isn't leaving mid-season for another job, even an NHL job. Can't think of a time that's ever happened, though I am open to being corrected on that.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He'll likely be coaching into April but it doesn't matter. A. Q isn't getting fired during the season if he's getting fired at all. B. Even if he was, a college coach isn't leaving mid-season for another job, even an NHL job. Can't think of a time that's ever happened, though I am open to being corrected on that.
i totally agree with all, i guess that was the bottom line comment for my post.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So now Q goes to Hino as 1RW ....bring Sharp (God no) back as 3LW for Kampf and D-Cat (back to 3RW from 3 LW)...Panik back to bench .Well at least it will force Tiews and Saad tp play with speed..shoukd be getting nf more 2 on 1s and 3 ones. ..but not going to add any net presence for line #1 ...

On the bother hand...Sharp going to make line 3 worse.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

Yea sorry, I should have clarified that I meant in the offseason. I don't think the hawks were expecting to need a coaching change anytime this year (or even at all) and colliton was meant to take over after Q retires.

Also, I should have mentioned that I'm very biased towards Jim Montgomery because I know the video coach for Denver and I'm hoping he comes with to the hawks so I can get free tickets :D

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
So now Q goes to Hino as 1RW ....bring Sharp (God no) back as 3LW for Kampf and D-Cat (back to 3RW from 3 LW)...Panik back to bench .Well at least it will force Tiews and Saad tp play with speed..shoukd be getting nf more 2 on 1s and 3 ones. ..but not going to add any net presence for line #1 ...

On the bother hand...Sharp going to make line 3 worse.

I think the 12/64/48 combo has potential as the trio seemed to show some chemistry at times... but not surprised at all if Q splits then up before they even get started.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yea sorry, I should have clarified that I meant in the offseason. I don't think the hawks were expecting to need a coaching change anytime this year (or even at all) and colliton was meant to take over after Q retires.

Also, I should have mentioned that I'm very biased towards Jim Montgomery because I know the video coach for Denver and I'm hoping he comes with to the hawks so I can get free tickets :D
ahhh i see how you are, you mercenary she wolf. :naughty: :cool:

btw, just joking here. :yo:

Reactions: kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->