Here's to the Finns !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
They played one heck of a tournament.

Alot of nice things to see, Tukonen playing well, Rask he was a good pick (control those freaking rebounds though), the never give up mentality that in a word sums up the Fins at the WJC (and at other levels).

Nice to see my second favourite team in the tournament (next to Iceland of course :biglaugh: ) win the Bronze.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
As a Kings fan, it was very encouraging to see Tukonen play extremely well. He was certainly one of the top forwards in the tournament. He isn't putting up monster #'s in the AHL as a 19 year old but he has shown - against his peers - he does have a fair amount of offensive skill.

I don't think he is ever going to be a top-line calibre forward but he should be a versatile player who can be plugged in anywhere in your lineup. Perhaps a Finnish Mikael Renberg type of player. He has a very good chance of making LA next year. (I'd like to see him maybe get a game or two in this year to further boost his confidence after this tourney)

lisario

Feb 10, 2005
Congrats to the Finns for once again showing the world what they're made of: pure sisu. :handclap:

Ah, these Scandinavian teams. God bless them. :biglaugh: Iceland. :biglaugh:

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
Everyone missed Leo Komarov? He showed some really impressive efforts in this game, including that "almost shorthanded".

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Incarnation said:
Everyone missed Leo Komarov? He showed some really impressive efforts in this game, including that "almost shorthanded".

He was responsible for yet again another brutal giveaway in the own zone ("yet again" referring also to the vicinity of the own blue line and the red line in Komarov's case), but after that he picked it up. He managed to handle the puck successfully in pretty tight spots, and with more action around him, his offense surfaced. All of the younger forwards more or less redeemed themselves today.

Sailio also went from terrible to very good over just one night.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Incarnation said:

Well, it was basically he who gave Ryan that first US goal, but I'll admit that he looked good in this one besides that...

Transported Upstater

Finland gets a thumbs up from me. They're always one of my favorite national teams, at any age.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Finland once again proved that they are a team that will fight for respect. I have heard some pretty ugly comments throughout this tournament on this board in regards to the Finns and their team. They proved that they can play with the best teams, and had the schedule been a little more accommodating (a day of rest after the quarters perhaps), and they could well have squeaked past Canada into the finals.

However, with that said, I am very proud that they achieved a bronze medal this time around.

Last edited:

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
NightScout said:
Not to mention the media in Finland...

Expecially Petteri Sihvonen in Urheilulehti online...

Btw. I hate this Sihvonen! He is maybe even worst than Jari Porttila.
When he wrotes those Janne Ahonen Vs. Norway skijump referee stories...

Last edited:

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
finska said:
Why? Did they bash the team too?

Not so much bash, but they weren't giving the team any credit at all. Giving a bad impression to all those who didn't really see the matches...

Phanuthier*

Agreed, Finland is pumping out some great hockey talent. They're a goaltending factor and they're on the cutting edge of coaching (that sounds weird) which will lead them to a power house team IMO.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Kudos to the Finns as well. My grandparents came to Canada from Finland in 1945.
Sisu is alive and well in the Finnish hockey team :)

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
THe Finns are a team a lot of people can get behind. I dont think anyone doesn't like thier style of hockey, and of course it's always good having one of their better players in your farm system. Atta boy Tukonen!

P-M Bouchard

Jun 5, 2004
Reaper45 said:
THe Finns are a team a lot of people can get behind. I dont think anyone doesn't like thier style of hockey,

We had an even better style of hockey a few years ago, when Curt Lindström was coaching. :D

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finland deserves the Bronze. They showed the US that they were going to show up after the 6-5 game, and I knew that Finland would win if they got another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad