Here's a summer thread.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
To those who have played the game: Is it possible on a 200 x 85 rink, with fresh ice and smooth corner boards, to stand at the red line, next to the boards, and shoot the puck hard enough that it comes all the way back around to you? (I imagine it would be very hard to get the puck to stay close enough to the boards to accomplish this even if you could muster the requisite velocity)

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
yeah, most likely, you'd just have to have a cannon and really good aim. but the physics probably check out.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I don't think so. I think the corners/bumping along the boards would slow it too much.
t. been on an ice sheet 2-3 times in my life.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
50nm x 82.m/s x 1/3 - 2ft/s = 0.0234899 friction red bull force

The coefficient of friction ice - boards is 0.0211411 uf

So the puck will go all the way around because the puck will be moving with too much red bull energy for the boards and ice to protect itself from

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
We used to mess around and shoot it from one point of the Blue Line behind the net to the guy on the other point and it was relatively easy *but the thought of it going all the way around 4 corners back to you seems like it would be impossible.
* I once shot a puck down a lake on an insanely cold day and it was as if friction wasn't a thing any more. So, maybe? -40c in arena w an Al Iafrate clapper?

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
If it touched the boards, friction would cause it to slow, and it's impossible to have the puck make the needed turns without touching the boards.

Looking like it's going to be a long summer.....

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
If Bruce Lee is so awesome, why is he dead?

bruce.jpg

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
To those who have played the game: Is it possible on a 200 x 85 rink, with fresh ice and smooth corner boards, to stand at the red line, next to the boards, and shoot the puck hard enough that it comes all the way back around to you? (I imagine it would be very hard to get the puck to stay close enough to the boards to accomplish this even if you could muster the requisite velocity)

so someone that hasn't played can't have an opinion on this? :huh:

as far as the complete rink shot: not possible

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So you’re asking if you can rim the puck all the way around the boards making a lap?

That’s gonna be a no. The velocity of the puck required to make it happen isn’t humanly possible.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Only Polak holds the key to the double icing play...

I did call a goal line to goaline crossbar shot once. Got me a beer from the zamboni driver lol

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
So you’re asking if you can rim the puck all the way around the boards making a lap?

That’s gonna be a no. The velocity of the puck required to make it happen isn’t humanly possible.
This. It takes a pretty good amount of energy for it to make a half lap. Full lap isn't going to happen.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think it would be on the edge of possible, especially if you get a guy like Weber and if he gets it up along the glass.

It can easily make it back behind your own goal, I've seen it happen, so maybe with the perfect shot from a Chara/Weber you'd get it there.

For reference, if I tried that, I would be lucky to get it out of their zone.

Good summer thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad