Here's a guy that hasn't got much attention: Martin Podlesak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Been meaning to post this for a while. I talked to a friend of mine who has season tickets to the Wilkes-Barre Penguins of the American Hockey League a couple months ago and I remember him really raving over this kid named Martin Podlesak who he had seen a couple of times. I remember Podlesak was drafted in the 2nd round in 2001 and was considered a big-time project. Well, the Coyotes might have got a winner here, though it's hard to say.

He's an absolutely massive player with some pretty strong offensive skill. He had really lost a lot of games played over the years due to injuries however - the guy is pretty injury prone.

Maybe some Yotes fans can chime in here, because this is a guy I've heard jack about in a long time, yet he seems to have some pretty decent NHL potential.

Greg

Feb 27, 2002
Martin has had two serious concussions that have delayed his development. The first was near the end of his junior career in Lethbridge. The next one happened three games into his pro career in Springfield. Close enough apart to shut him down for the year. He came back strong and had a good camp, but had a horrible year statistically in the AHL. Coyote fans debate if his bad year was a result of Marty McSorley.

Besides his big frame, his best asset is his aggressiveness. He plays all out and likes to get under opponents' skin. He skates well and plays physical. Cuts off passing lanes. Hard to get a read on his offensive talents, but right now, no reason to think he will ever put the puck in the net a lot.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Moskau said:
I think both of them are sleeping.

:lol:

At least one of the 3 Stars fans is awake..

I've been following most prospects of the Pacific division and he got my attention right away. However he's Yotes property so he's bound not getting the proper credit he deserves. Huge kid..

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I remember there being a lot of talk about him 2/3 years ago, but the hype sort of died down b/c of his injury problems.

It's good to hear he might be getting back on track though.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think there is still some hope for him. His best stretch of hockey was between the concussions. He came to camp ready and looked good in the preseason games he played. He was getting a lot of ice time because he was one of the young players that could make the team. The upcoming season is a big one for him. Greg pretty much said it all, Podlesak's game of energy guy/shift disturber who will drop the gloves occasionally should translate to the NHL. Time will tell.

Edit- I have Podlesak #15 in the Coyotes Top 20 prospects, if anyone wants to check out the list, go here

Last edited:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If his name is pronounced poodle sack.. call me a fan. :D

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Im not sure if he is injury prone.. he has simply had two concussions.. a minor one followed by a major one which have kept him out for a very long time.

I remember maybe two years ago.. one of th HF editors told me that when he was involved in making HF's top 50 prospect, several people rated Podlesak the best Coyote prospect, including a NHL GM. This would have been over respected guys like Kolanos, Taffe, and Sjostrom.

I saw him in the Coyotes prospect camp just before the major concussion and he made a big impression on Francis who said he would definitely call him up to the NHL soon. He was just very awkward for others to play against with his long reach and he's not just an energy guy, he had enough hockey sense and skill to skate with the best players. He did remind me quite a bit of Handzus. I would have him in my top 10 for his upside despite his disappointing year in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->