Here is my top 30 for the 2006 NHL draft:

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
wild_gopher said:
I think he's entitled to his opinion none-the-less. In my opinion, waffles are better than pancakes. Its a close call, but waffles just barely get the nod. Thats my honest opinion.

That would be pretty cool for the Americans to go 1-2 in the draft. Has that ever happened before?

Thats the problem with this board. A lot of people post and say Player X is better than Player Y, even if they havent seen Player Y play.

Sure everyone can have an opinion, but to say something is a lock without viewing a good chunk of the draft class is assinine.

If the original poster did watch Bernier than its all good.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Nice to see Joey Ryan up there, I remember watching him playing for Malden HS when he was in 7th grade... granted, that's some pretty horrible competition even by Massachusetts HS hockey standards, but the kid was a stud. I'd like to see the B's take a flyer on him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nothing to do with the preview Per Se...

Just wanted to know what happened to De Gray, Nathan Martine and Jamie McGinn, two ubiquitous Top-30 guys who were left off the "draft preview" posted before.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It will be interesting to see Brassard in the top Prospects Game in comparison to Staal,Mueller,Little and Sheppard...I know its only 1 game,but this is his big chance to prove to scouts he belong right up there in the jumble of top ten with those guys..

Also,I haven't see Sheppard play yet,but have heard that his big drawback is speed..I want to compare his speed to Mueller who I thought would be faster,but he looked much slower than I expected at the WJHC...

What impresses me most about Brassard is his greased lightning speed especially in the first step/darting speed --this type of speed gets to loose pucks and is very efficient helping the passing game with which Brassard has great skill and instincts;a straight -line "burner" like a Cogliano on the other hand wastes a lot of effort to accomlish not much on long carries up the ice...IMO,Brassard would have put up more points than Cogliano had he been on Team Canada at the WJHC--if Brassard shines in this game compared the percieved(at this moment) highly touted Staal,Mueller,Little and Sheppard,then he would deserve consideration to a higher ranking than mid-first round..My own "hunch" is that he will have a better NHL career than those other 4,because speed may limit Sheppard and Mueller at the NHL level,Staal may be limited to the hgh expectations of him in that from what I've seen he doesn't have brother Eric's great wrist shot that helps Eric score so many goals at the NHL level--maybe Staal will develop that next year--but this year
I don't see the comparison and hence his rank is over-hyped...Little is a great offensive talent--but my hunch is that Brassard will be a better NHL'er...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Husky said:
Its possible..but he's not "dominating" the NCAA's right now as it was said earlier....his 2.91 GAA ranks him 47th in the NCAA right now and there are 9 freshman goalies with a better GAA..two of them drafted..he's good no doubt....but not dominant..not yet

His natural skills are insane, though. He's going to be an incredible pro goaltender in the future.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
scoutman1 said:
15. Billy Sauer. G USA
Dominating NCAA right now, he could be in a long line of great goalies from the NCAA ranks, he is big, athletic, fast, smart, positional, he has the makings of a star goalie.

Sauer is solid, I'm a big UM fan, and he will go in round I. However, he is not "Dominating the NCAA right now". He is good, but not that good. At least not yet.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
hawksfan50 said:
It will be interesting to see Brassard in the top Prospects Game in comparison to Staal,Mueller,Little and Sheppard...I know its only 1 game,but this is his big chance to prove to scouts he belong right up there in the jumble of top ten with those guys..

Also,I haven't see Sheppard play yet,but have heard that his big drawback is speed..I want to compare his speed to Mueller who I thought would be faster,but he looked much slower than I expected at the WJHC...

What impresses me most about Brassard is his greased lightning speed especially in the first step/darting speed --this type of speed gets to loose pucks and is very efficient helping the passing game with which Brassard has great skill and instincts;a straight -line "burner" like a Cogliano on the other hand wastes a lot of effort to accomlish not much on long carries up the ice...IMO,Brassard would have put up more points than Cogliano had he been on Team Canada at the WJHC--if Brassard shines in this game compared the percieved(at this moment) highly touted Staal,Mueller,Little and Sheppard,then he would deserve consideration to a higher ranking than mid-first round..My own "hunch" is that he will have a better NHL career than those other 4,because speed may limit Sheppard and Mueller at the NHL level,Staal may be limited to the hgh expectations of him in that from what I've seen he doesn't have brother Eric's great wrist shot that helps Eric score so many goals at the NHL level--maybe Staal will develop that next year--but this year
I don't see the comparison and hence his rank is over-hyped...Little is a great offensive talent--but my hunch is that Brassard will be a better NHL'er...
Speed is not a draw back of Sheppard, he is has good top end speed with average acceleration. His strides are strong as an ox so he looks to be skating slow much like Jagr.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
Speed is not a draw back of Sheppard, he is has good top end speed with average acceleration. His strides are strong as an ox so he looks to be skating slow much like Jagr.

his skating is not a draw back but his first step is...he really needs to work on exceleration bad. His overall skating is good though with strength, top end speed isn't bad and he has a little bit of agility to go, but his first step is pretty bad.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Good list... Bakstrom will be in the top 5 though... I think the top 5 will be

1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3.Frolik
4. Backstrom
5. Toews

I would also be shocked if any goalie cracks the top 20 in this years draft

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Mackattack said:
Good list... Bakstrom will be in the top 5 though... I think the top 5 will be

1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3.Frolik
4. Backstrom
5. Toews

I would also be shocked if any goalie cracks the top 20 in this years draft
I don't know Jonathan Bernier is a really good goalie who could be a star in the making.

HoverCarle*

"27. Joey Ryan. D USA
A super physical d-man who is a very intimidating force when on the ice, he will drop the gloves with anyone, throw bone crushing hits, plays a super aggressive style of game, plays well positionally on defense, this guy just scares the oppenents on the ice and plays well in the defensive zone to boot."

would love to see philly get this guy. and if your rankings are accuarate hes around where phillys pick will be. in the last few

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
scoutman1 said:
his skating is not a draw back but his first step is...he really needs to work on exceleration bad. His overall skating is good though with strength, top end speed isn't bad and he has a little bit of agility to go, but his first step is pretty bad.
I think acceleration is much easier to fix then top end speed. A lot of players either have top end speed or don't. Sheppard when going is really fast. Quick sprints back and forth with improve acceleration.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
hovercraft said:
"27. Joey Ryan. D USA
A super physical d-man who is a very intimidating force when on the ice, he will drop the gloves with anyone, throw bone crushing hits, plays a super aggressive style of game, plays well positionally on defense, this guy just scares the oppenents on the ice and plays well in the defensive zone to boot."

would love to see philly get this guy. and if your rankings are accuarate hes around where phillys pick will be. in the last few
Sounds like Mark Stuart....which means I want on New Jersey.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I think the top five will be the following players, in no particular order:

Kessel
Johnson
Backstrom
Staal
Brassard

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
clay said:
I think the top five will be the following players, in no particular order:

Kessel
Johnson
Backstrom
Staal
Brassard

I think the top 5 is shaping up like
1. E. Johnson
2. P. Kessel
3. J. Toews
4. J. Staal
5. B. Little

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
LaLaLaprise said:
Thats the problem with this board. A lot of people post and say Player X is better than Player Y, even if they havent seen Player Y play.

Sure everyone can have an opinion, but to say something is a lock without viewing a good chunk of the draft class is assinine..
I too am amazed at know-it-all confident judgements about players never seen.

Dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->