Hensick

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
In the midterm CSB's TJ Hensick was rated number 96, or 4th round, in North America alone. That would put him around an 8th round pick if you combine the North American and European rankings. At this point he leads Michigan in scoring and points per game, ahead of guys like Jeff Tambellini, Milan Gajic, Eric Nystrom and Dwight Helminen. He is also 6th in the nation in scoring at the moment, and the leading Freshman scorer. The one downside to Hensick seems to be his size, at 5'10 and 180 lbs. I watched him play for the U.S. U-18's last year and he certainly has offensive talent to spare in both puckhandling skill, passing and vision. Is there any chance a team will grab him in the late first round, or is he more likely to be second rounder. I honestly can't see him falling past the second round despite his size.

Edit: Of course there is still the question of whether or not he will be able to opt in this year without losing college eligibility.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
McKeens has Hensick as a borderline first rounder - ranked #33 overall.

So yeah, it is quite possible he could be taken as early as the late first. All it takes is one team to think he is going to be a Briere, Comrie or Fleury type of player, and he could definitely get snatched up.

For whatever reason, CSB has always seemed to factor in size more than any other draft publication or scouting service.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I see him going as a mid-second rounder.

Obviously, the numbers speak to Hensick's ability as a passer. However, on the occasions that I've seen Michigan play this season, it struck me that Hensick doesn't have quite the edge or elusiveness that you see in most of your highly successful, smaller players. That's not to say that he won't take a hit to make a play, just that he isn't exactly fiery.

Of course, I may just be reading too much into last night's game, in which Hensick, along with most of his teammates, was almost invisible.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
HFNHL Commish said:
I see him going as a mid-second rounder.

Obviously, the numbers speak to Hensick's ability as a passer. However, on the occasions that I've seen Michigan play this season, it struck me that Hensick doesn't have quite the edge or elusiveness that you see in most of your highly successful, smaller players. That's not to say that he won't take a hit to make a play, just that he isn't exactly fiery.

Of course, I may just be reading too much into last night's game, in which Hensick, along with most of his teammates, was almost invisible.

I only got to see Comrie a few times when he was at Michigan but I wouldn't say he was fiery either.

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
Comrie maybe wasn't fiery, but he was fiesty. He gave out cheap stick hits with the best of them. Hensick doesn't have that quality to his game, he's a much more laid-back guy.

His puck skills make him worth a look, and I agree he's a good pick for the second round. I don't see him opting in this year, just a gut feeling. Unless the NCAA changes the opt-in rule to allow it without forfieting his eligibility before June, which Dave Poulin of ND has been spearheading to change, presumably to lessen his chances of losing Wes O'Niell.

Speaking of ND, they played a near flawless defensive game last night, that didn't give Hensick, Tambellini, or anyone else from Michigan much room to do anything.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Twisted Wrister said:
Comrie maybe wasn't fiery, but he was fiesty. He gave out cheap stick hits with the best of them. Hensick doesn't have that quality to his game, he's a much more laid-back guy.

His puck skills make him worth a look, and I agree he's a good pick for the second round. I don't see him opting in this year, just a gut feeling. Unless the NCAA changes the opt-in rule to allow it without forfieting his eligibility before June, which Dave Poulin of ND has been spearheading to change, presumably to lessen his chances of losing Wes O'Niell.

Speaking of ND, they played a near flawless defensive game last night, that didn't give Hensick, Tambellini, or anyone else from Michigan much room to do anything.

I saw that game and ND was solid. Hensick also had one when he broke in from down low. I didn't watch much of the 3rd though, as Denver/Minn came on.

Hensick played a decent game, and seems to have good instincts with the puck.

Montoya didn't have his best game, and that play he got hurt on looked painful.

Funkymoses

Stevex said:
If he is 5-10 then he is already two inches taller than Comrie etc.

Well, he isn't. He's Comrie-sized. I missed the ND games, but Hensick has been absolutely fabulous since the winter break. He's been almost uncheckable through the neutral zone, and he's an amazing passer. He's been the catalyst on Michigan's most productive line with Gajic and Kaleniecki... even broke Gajic out of his two-year stick-squeezing slump by just force-feeding him glorious opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->