Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The value we would get back for Hank for his contract and age would not come close to compensation for trading away the face of the franchise post '04 lockout.

Clean house skaters-wise, wringing the team out for all its value for anyone 26 and older (arbitrarily number chosen? CHECK), and stay the course with our Hank/Shestyorkin plan. Maybe we'll be a balanced, competitive team in the 2019 season and if Hank plays through what will likely be a very trying next season, then I'm sure that he and everyone involved will be all roses on the other side of the 'successful' rebuild and some agreement can be reached regarding starter and backup roles for then and the future.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Brian Leetch still owns the greatest Ranger ever title in my mind.

Hank has won Olympic gold and WJC gold. We never know how long he'll be able to play effectively. I imagine that if he wants to go elsewhere it'll be to Frolunda.

Reading between the lines on his rebuild quotes, it seems to me that he's concerned about being asked to waive his NMC. I think he'd rather stay here no matter what the circumstances. I'd rather keep him and not Brian-Leetch force him out for a minimal return.

That's because Bure didn't score on that penalty shot.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
They should rest him and Zucc if they are aiming for Rasmus, or start on their rebuild plan.
They aren't going to sit Lundqvist for the year. Purposefully failing doesn't work. It would never happen in New York. Why are you wasting your time spreading this?

Reactions: Siddi

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I know that AV won`t rest him, but if they are going to get earlier draft picks or join the lottery - Henrik will try to win games and he did last sunday with 97% saves, and to win a cup without an elite talent like Rasmus is really difficult.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know that AV won`t rest him, but if they are going to get earlier draft picks or join the lottery - Henrik will try to win games and he did last sunday with 97% saves, and to win a cup without an elite talent like Rasmus is really difficult.

This is why we need to acquire a few additional first and second round picks and try to swing for the fences. Not to get a nice middle-6 guy or even a great second liner, but to go for someone who'll be great. Sure, most of the time, he'll turn into Jessiman, but if you have 4 first rounders, you can tolerate 3 Jessimans so long as you also get one Getzlaf.

Sadly, the one time we managed to draft a boom/bust guy who worked out (Savard), we dealt him away for spare parts. If we kept Savard, who was a 100-point player in the seasons right after the second lockout, we are probably immediate contenders at the time, with Savard feeding Jagr, and Lundqvist building a huge, beautiful wall in the net. Nylander, Straka, Rucinsky, Shanahan, and for a couple years Prucha would provide excellent secondary scoring. Say what you will, but adding a 100-point center to a playoff team that already has a superstar forward, a superstar goalie and quality secondary scoring does make them a legit Cup threat.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, but I listen to a podcast last evening and consider things - I don`t think it`s ideal for Rangers to achieve playoffs this season consider the deep 2018 draft later this summer.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They should rest him and Zucc if they are aiming for Rasmus, or start on their rebuild plan.
I don't think they're aiming for him. I think they realize there's no way they're going to be worse than some of the bottom teams right now. The more they lose the better % they get, but I don't think the goal is to draft him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And that's why my favorite all time Ranger is Mike Richter.

No dis to Hank who is God.

Eh, the Richter vs. Lundqvist debate comes down to preference. I think Richter was probably the best big game goalie in the league from 94-97. The Bure penalty shot, Game 6 against the Devils, the '96 World Cup of hockey. These were all iconic moments that really stick out. But thats all they were - moments. I think the '94 cup masks just how inconsistent Richter was throughout his career - and that was even before the injuries ravaged him.

The older I get, the more I marvel at Lundqvist's steady and continued excellence behind teams that couldn't hold the 94 team's jock strap.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Eh, the Richter vs. Lundqvist debate comes down to preference. I think Richter was probably the best big game goalie in the league from 94-97. The Bure penalty shot, Game 6 against the Devils, the '96 World Cup of hockey. These were all iconic moments that really stick out. But thats all they were - moments. I think the '94 cup masks just how inconsistent Richter was throughout his career - and that was even before the injuries ravaged him.

The older I get, the more I marvel at Lundqvist's steady and continued excellence behind teams that couldn't hold the 94 team's jock strap.

Beezer probably would have won the cup in 1994 too.

There are only a few goalies I can think of who carried a team as hard as Lundqvist has.

For a long time, he did it so effortlessly†, that it's really "hard to see".

†I don't mean he didn't give effort. I mean he was able to do it relatively easily because he was always in position and a step ahead.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Beezer probably would have won the cup in 1994 too.

There are only a few goalies I can think of who carried a team as hard as Lundqvist has.

For a long time, he did it so effortlessly†, that it's really "hard to see".

†I don't mean he didn't give effort. I mean he was able to do it relatively easily because he was always in position and a step ahead.

Agreed. Arguably, Beezer taking that 96 Florida team to the finals was a bigger accomplishment than backstopping the '94 Ranger team.

If Hfboards was around in 92, there would have been a mutiny against Richter for the goal he gave up in game 4 vs. Pittsburgh.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
"I feel very connected to my organization," Lundqvist said. "I'd rather play until I'm 44, to finally get the Cup, than to switch to another team."

He ain’t leaving. New York is his home, and he either wins it here or never does.
You got it!

This ain't the last time I'll have to say this, as long as he is active-for all he's done, I'd rather lose with him than win without him.

Reactions: egelband

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

This in spades. Richter is my childhood idol but Lundqvist is on a whole different level with elite consistency.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
This is going to be a very, VERY trying time for Hank. From one of his earlier quotes, He says he want's to stay now but doesn't know what could happen a year from now. He should keep his options open. Lundqvist has never had a truly bad team in front of him. If he thinks this season has gotten ugly wait until next year or just 2 weeks from now when all these vets might be gone and it's just him and Staal left over from the Tom Renney era. There is no guarantee that going in the direction the Rangers want to go in will guarantee success like they have had since the 05-06 season. It could be years before we get back to the playoffs. Patience wears very thin after a year or two of bottom feeding and, a goalie tends to show their age when the wheels of the defense in front of him fall off the wagon on a nightly basis.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
This in spades. Richter is my childhood idol but Lundqvist is on a whole different level with elite consistency.
Richter never had the good teams in front of him like Lundqvist has for virtually his entire career. Richter kept those bad Rangers teams in the playoff picture far longer then he should have. For me, Richter is and always will be the greatest NYR goalie. He played in an era of ties and has a cup. The ties are a big deal to me. Lundqvist numbers don't look so amazing if he played in an era of ties.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I usually defend AV, but that quote was ridiculous and opportunistic. Lundqvist was getting peppered with 35+ shots nightly and got this team a lot of wins before the all-star break. To try to portray that the team has been playing well and is a victim to the ebbs and flows of the goaltending is just simply untrue.

One thing about Lundqvist's game this season was once they went on that run that started on Halloween night, not only did he raise his game several levels he stopped letting in the bad goals. I can't even say that he is letting bad goals in now. He is being made to look bad by a poor defense in front of him even though his overall game has come down a notch since that run. Lundqvist has continued to keep the Rangers in it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Richter never had the good teams in front of him like Lundqvist has for virtually his entire career. Richter kept those bad Rangers teams in the playoff picture far longer then he should have. For me, Richter is and always will be the greatest NYR goalie. He played in an era of ties and has a cup. The ties are a big deal to me. Lundqvist numbers don't look so amazing if he played in an era of ties.
Errrrrrr... has Lundqvist had good teams in front of him virtually his entire career? And Richter kept bad Rangers teams in the playoff picture far longer than they should've? But not Lundqvist? Excuse me, which universe is this?

If Lundqvist would've had good teams in front of him virtually his entire career as you claim, he would've had several Vezinas and multiple cups. But that's not the case, is it? The teams Lundqvist has played behind couldn't even carry the jock straps of that 1994 team.

One series in 12 years. One series I think NYR was the better team on the ice during Lundqvist's career here (against the Trashers). Other than that, it has been a neverending story of how long Lundqvist could steal series in broad daylight for this team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Thats just simply not true in the mid-90's. And past then, Richter did little to rescue the bad teams the way Lundqvist has. Revisionist history at it's worst.

In fact, the '92 team was arguably the best Ranger team in quite a while and Richter almost single-handedly torpedoed their chances with an epic gaffe.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah literally the opposite happened...Richter had some incredible teams in front of him and gave up some horrendously bad playoff goals that everyone glosses over because of the bure save...

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yeah literally the opposite happened...Richter had some incredible teams in front of him and gave up some horrendously bad playoff goals that everyone glosses over because of the bure save...

Do people forget the goal he gave up against Pittsburgh, from the freaking redline? Holy shit how can anyone with a straight face say Richter was better, he wasn't even close and I love Richter. If Hank was playing net in front of those 1992 or 1994 teams they win both years quite easily.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Thats just simply not true in the mid-90's. And past then, Richter did little to rescue the bad teams the way Lundqvist has. Revisionist history at it's worst.

In fact, the '92 team was arguably the best Ranger team in quite a while and Richter almost single-handedly torpedoed their chances with an epic gaffe.
Richter routinely faced over 40 shots a night and more on those Rangers teams of the late 90's. He kept those teams in games and gave them chances to win. When Richter began becoming seriously injured the team completely fell apart. If it wasn't for Richter those teams would have been lottery teams.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Do people forget the goal he gave up against Pittsburgh, from the freaking redline? Holy **** how can anyone with a straight face say Richter was better, he wasn't even close and I love Richter. If Hank was playing net in front of those 1992 or 1994 teams they win both years quite easily.
You wanna start talking about bad goals given up by a Rangers goalie start with Lundqvist and work your way back. Every goalie has given up terrible goals in their careers and Lundqvist is no exception. I understand the fanbase has a blind love for Lundqvist and he can do no wrong in many peoples eyes but, the fact remains as far as he taken the Rangers in his career he never single handily carried them to a cup. It's a shame because he does deserve a cup the same way every player and the fan base deserves a cup.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You wanna start talking about bad goals given up by a Rangers goalie start with Lundqvist and work your way back. Every goalie has given up terrible goals in their careers and Lundqvist is no exception. I understand the fanbase has a blind love for Lundqvist and he can do no wrong in many peoples eyes but, the fact remains as far as he taken the Rangers in his career he never single handily carried them to a cup. It's a shame because he does deserve a cup the same way every player and the fan base deserves a cup.
Which goalie in NHL history has single handedly carried their team to a cup? Not even Hasek in his prime could achieve that. Which player period could carry his team to a cup, single handedly? None. You need a good team to win the cup, with three good carriers at a minimum. NYR has never had that during Lundqvists career. Most of the time he was the only one. Look at the other cup champions. They always have at least three pieces and are usually very deep teams.

Of course Lundqvist has had bad games in the playoffs here and there, but it's the opposite that has defined his career.

The guy has played 128 playoff games and faced 3800 shots. Of course you will allow bad goals when facing 3800 shots and playing that many games. But you're not a .922 playoff goalie by allowing too many of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->