Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
If this guy really has similar offensive skill set as Barkov and plays center but needs time to develop more than sharpen the edges (due to being so raw), he could truly come out as a gem. What would be more sexy than having two Finns leading first and second line in the future! Anyway, normally I have tons of data on the Finnish prospects but unfortunately most of what I know about Borgström is hear say. I'm still happy to have another Finn in the organisation. If some team had him in the radar on last year's draft but decided to pass because of the size, they are probably having some regrets right now. Can't wait to see him in the blue-white jersey next season. Honestly, I'm not sure where these Finnish prospects are coming from nowdays. The 1st round is going to look even more stacked in 2017 than it did this year.

Is he playing in the development camp and if so how has he looked?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I don't think Borgström will see NHL time within two years. I think he is two years away of being physically ready and then I think a season split between AHL and NHL if all goes well. I hope that he exceeds my expectations of course, but he is definitely a project.

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Yep. This was no analytics pick for sure. If you just look at the stats, measurements, nobody would have picked this guy in the first round. Only measurement that he has, is his height. I heard the name first time just around a week before the draft... I red, that this guy could go high in the draft and thought who he was. I hadn't followed the A-junior league that closely in the last season. Borgström played his first A-junior season as an 18 year old. That's not impressive. It's rare that a player ever becomes an NHL player, if that is the case.
A-junior league is actually U22 league, with most of the players at 18, 19, or 20 of age, eventhough it is usually referred to as a U20 league, but most of the guys, who make it in NHL at young age, score similar numbers as an underager at 16, or 17 years of age.

It is clear to me, that the Panthers people saw him play many times during the season. I watched three last season games of him after the draft and I can see, that this guy understands the game at next level and reads the game at next level. His positioning is very good and he has an extremely fast thinking an he always knows where to pass, or what to do, before he gets the puck. He sees the ice very well and always finds a pass that makes something happen. He either creates a scoring change for his linemates, or passes the puck for a guy, who has time and space and is in a position to create something. He thinks the game offence first.
One interesting thing in the three games was, that Borgström gives quality passes. In the three games he made only three passes, that did not go where he wanted it to go. Two of them were cut by opponent checkers and only one was a poor pass. Ok, you could say, that this was the second "numbers thing" on his side.
The most visible feature in his game was probably his hands. Borgström has very good hands and a very good puck control and he is a very good and a flashy deker. This is a guy, who is able to beat the whole opponents five by deking.
And when he gets the puck, he makes always something happen offencively. He definetely needs to play in a stronger league in the future.
Borgström has a decent, fast wrist shot, but never uses a slap shot. Has a long stride, but I think his skating is quite ok. Just needs more power and could become a decent skater in the NHL level.
Defencively he reads the game well and cuts passes effectively. As already said earlier his effort level is somewhat questionable and the circling in his own zone hampers his defencive game in some situations. He circles goes he his waiting a change to get to offence.

In many ways Borgström reminds me of Jesse Niinimäki. Both the pick and the player. As a player Borgström looks very similar to Jesse Niinimäki, when Jesse was in his best seasons and they both were similar "of the board picks" in the first round. But I would say, that Borgström at 23 in this draft was a better pick, than Niinimäki at 15 in 2002. In both case hard work needed at long term.
You could criticize this pick because they took a long term project in the first round, while he was ranked as a 2-4 rounder and probably would have been available at 33 pick, but if they thought this was the best guy available at 23... let them try with him.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah Borgstrom seems like an early prototype of Barkov who's best suited to play wing. And judging from his impressive 1 on 1 move in camp, possibly RW? :naughty:

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Yeah Borgstrom seems like an early prototype of Barkov who's best suited to play wing. And judging from his impressive 1 on 1 move in camp, possibly RW? :naughty:

Yes, if Borgström makes finnish WJC team next season, I would think, he is going to be on wing, because the two-way game and faceoff ability are not among his strengths.
I would also think, he could be on the wing in his first season in Denver, but then later turn to center. Probably starts as a winger in the NHL aswell, but could become center aswell. If he is able to develop his two-way game a lot and still further develop his offence, you could have a really skilled two-way center there.

Is there a video about the 1 on 1 move?

I still must say, that this is a long term project... It is already a big step from the finnish A-junior league to NCAA, without mentioning NHL. Would not be surprised if he spends the full four years in NCAA.
There he has time to mature physically, mature his two-way game and adjust to North American rink and style of play.
He could suit really well for the fast North American hockey, goes he plays fast.

Also to add: Borgström has missed quite a number of games in the last three seasons. In 2015-2016 he missed 10 games, in 2014-2015 he missed 29 games and in 2013-2014 he missed 20 games.

When Bombino released his report Borgstrom had scored 15G's his first 25 games. Since that report Borgstrom finished with 14G's in his final 15 games. As a comparison, Riley Tufte scored 47G's in high school in 25 games and 10G's in 25 games in the USHL.

After Bombino released his report, Borgström scored 14 goals in eight games, but he did not score a goal in his last seven games and he did not score a point in his last five games. Apparently Borgströms regular season at personal level, came to an end at a bit too early and the questionable effort level was shown there.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know why.. but I think Borgstrom might turn into a present day Kyle Turris... which would be great.

Don't know.. his body language and puck movement reminds me of him.

In very limited viewing I think I can see the similarity. Borgstrom looks more physical, but they skate and handle the puck with the same sort of confidince and effortlessness. Turris sort of gets forgotten about, playing in Ottowa, but his offensive skill is disturbing.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Denver's Henrik Borgström voted NCHC Rookie of the Month for October. He's done it against some very good college teams, too. I've watched all of his home games, and he's the sort of player who does something interesting every time he touches the puck, especially in the offensive zone. Elite hands, elite passing, amazing hockey sense and also is learning how to use his big body to create space and puck protection. He also wants the puck, which I love to see. He needs to learn more about d-zone awareness and needs upper body strength, which he'll get in the college game with more weight room time.

From the Denver release:

After a slow start, Borgström caught fire in October, tallying points in four of his final five games during the month, including three multi-point games, to lead Denver to a 6-2-0 record. In eight games, he tallied nine points on four goals and five assists with his nine points leading all NCHC rookies and tying for fifth nationally among freshmen. His four goals tied for the NCHC rookie lead and tied for third among NCAA freshmen. He was named First Star of the Game three times throughout October.

Borgström was held pointless in his first three collegiate games, but exploded in his fourth for three points, scoring his first two career goals, including the game-winning goal, while also notching his first assist in a 3-1 win over then No. 2 Boston University Oct. 15. The Florida Panthers first round draft pick was named the game’s First Star after having a hand in all three goals.

The following weekend, Borgström added another three points in a sweep at Michigan State. He again had a hand in both goals in a 2-1 win Oct. 21, scoring the first goal and setting up the game-winner, while he dished out an assist in the series finale Saturday, as well – a 3-1 victory. He was tabbed First Star of the Game in Friday’s victory while logging a plus-2 rating each night against the Spartans. Borgström wrapped up his month by tying his career high with three points in a 4-2 win over Western Michigan Oct. 29. The 6-foot-3 center scored the game’s first goal on the power play, while tallying a career-high two helpers, including on the game-winning goal, and was again named the game’s First Star.

Borgström led all NCAA rookies with 29 shots on goal in October, while two of his goals came on the power play and one was a game-winner. He also finished the month with a plus-5 rating and had an even or positive plus/minus rating in seven of his eight games.

Borgström is now a candidate for Hockey Commissioners’ Association (HCA) National Rookie of the Month for October, which will be announced on Wednesday. Other nominees for NCHC Rookie of the Month included North Dakota freshman forward Tyson Jost and Miami freshman goaltender Ryan Larkin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad