Help with Router

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I had spectrum internet (cable). Now I have fiber optic. I can only get 89 Mbs on my Archer C59 ( 450 Mbs on 2.4 G + 876 Mbs on 5 G)
Router. I've tried to find the Negotiation Speed setting when signed into my router, but I cannot find it.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated, with finding the setting or any other settings that may help.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
How close are you to your router? Sit right beside your router and test the speed on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Getting 89 isn't out of line on 2.4ghz as soon as you are any distance from the router but you should get more than that sitting right beside it. You should be able to get 700 or so on 5ghz sitting right beside your router, but 5ghz also has much worse range than 2.4ghz. I find in my home 5ghz is still generally the way to go anyway even if the signal is weaker as the speed is still faster than 2.4ghz with a stronger signal.

Negotiation Speed should always be AUTO by default....so unless you changed it manually on your device or your router at some point that shouldn't be the problem.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I had spectrum internet (cable). Now I have fiber optic. I can only get 89 Mbs on my Archer C59 ( 450 Mbs on 2.4 G + 876 Mbs on 5 G)
Router. I've tried to find the Negotiation Speed setting when signed into my router, but I cannot find it.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated, with finding the setting or any other settings that may help.

Is this your router?

The specifications page says that the router has only 10/100mb ports. If so, the MOST your router could push to wired devices (assuming 100% efficiency, which doesn't exist) is 100mb/s.

You need a router with Gigabit ports (minimum) to get the most out of your internet connection if you're going to wire through the router. Most modern routers have 2.5gig WAN (internet out of the wall) and gigabit LAN ports (from the router to the computer, console, etc), so even if you don't want to spend much money you can find a better option.

If this is the wrong router, can you send me a link (even an amazon link) to the router you're using?

Last edited:
Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To add to what JaegerDice said, it looks like V1 of that router has 10/100 ports (what a dumb decision for an AC router) and V4 has gigabit ports (recognized their screw-up, they did). I suspect that you have V1, but you could check on the label underneath. Unless it specifically says V4, then it's V1 and you should definitely buy a new router, preferably one with a 2.5gig WAN port, so that it can handle the faster fiber speeds now and in the near future.

Reactions: JaegerDice

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Is this your router?

The specifications page says that the router has only 10/100mb ports. If so, the MOST your router could push to wired devices (assuming 100% efficiency, which doesn't exist) is 100mb/s.

You need a router with Gigabit ports (minimum) to get the most out of your internet connection if you're going to wire through the router. Most modern routers have 2.5gig WAN (internet out of the wall) and gigabit LAN ports (from the router to the computer, console, etc), so even if you don't want to spend much money you can find a better option.

If this is the wrong router, can you send me a link (even an amazon link) to the router you're using?
That's the issue, thanks.
Looking a new routers.
Thanks again, appreciate it.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
That's the issue, thanks.
Looking a new routers.
Thanks again, appreciate it.
Also, you may want to check your Ethernet cables too since you’re ordering a new router. Make sure you don’t have any older Cat. 5 cables anywhere since I believe they are limited to 100 mbps too.

Edit - same goes for any other equipment you have in the Ethernet chain, like an older 10/100 switch (etc). To get full gigabit speeds you need to make sure everything is capable of supporting it.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Also, you may want to check your Ethernet cables too since you’re ordering a new router. Make sure you don’t have any older Cat. 5 cables anywhere since I believe they are limited to 100 mbps too.

Since Cat 5e and 6 costs basically the same anymore that certainly won't hurt, but you can even run Cat3 at gigabit (not a good idea) over short distances if need be.

Basically if both ends detect the other is a gig, it will run a gig regardless of the cable quality. But if the quality is poor or the run is too long it will throw CRC errors like crazy. So manually backing it down to 100mb (or even 10mb) would stop the CRCs but obviously kill your performance.

Again, not really a good idea normally but I've seen places where old buildings have obsolete structured cabling and the company can't afford newer stuff so they make it work.

Hell if you wanna get really creative you can do stuff like this (100mb doesn't require all 4 pairs)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad