Help wanted...injuries....

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
Hello hockey fans,

I work for sport channel in Czech rep. and for our weekly show I´m trying to compile a file on playoffs. Over the last 2 seasons do you remember any player to be injured in playoffs only to come back and score a big goal ?

Players who scored a clutch goal either in the same game or the same series or even the same playoff year they were injured.

Like: Paul Kariya in Game 6 Stanley Cup finals of 2003 when he was hammered by Stevens yet he came back and in the same period he scored a assuring goal for Ducks.

Or Scott Stevens himself same year, when he was hit by a puck to head in series against Lightning, but he returned in next game a scored a PP goal.

Or Pierre Turgeon in Game 5 in 2001 of Blues-Sharks series. He was hit to mouth by deflected puck, lost couple of teeths but in the same game he assisted on game tying goal + game winner in OT.

Or Joe Nieuwendyk in the same year, who injured knee in Game 2 of Stars- Oilers series but he came back in Game 6 and scored series clincher with 3 minutes remaining.

Mostly I´m trying locate these stuff in 2005-07 span as we have a huge collections of games from these seasons, but if you remember any other stuff from years 2002, 2003 or 2004 it will be helpful too though we have only limited archive of these playoff, mostly final series.

Thank you everybody for help...Jiri Slegr will come in as a special guest to discuss wars in playoffs.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I know you said you want recent years but you can't have a topic like this and not mention Bobby Baun;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Baun

Baun will forever be remembered for scoring the overtime winner in game six against the Detroit Red Wings in the 1964 playoffs on April 23. Earlier in that same game, he had had his ankle broken. He then returned from his injury in overtime to score the game winner. The Leafs won the next game, game seven, 4-0 for their third consecutive Stanley Cup.

Lemieux having Chemo the same day as he played in a playoff game should have an honourable mention even though it wasn't a hockey injury.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Last year in game 3 of the Oilers-Sharks series, Ryan Smyth had several teeth knocked out by a Chris Pronger clearing attempt. He got repairs and later assisted on the winning goal in OT. He didn't score, but it was an important assist.

Veela

Aug 17, 2005
Prague
I know you said you want recent years but you can't have a topic like this and not mention Bobby Baun;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Baun

Baun will forever be remembered for scoring the overtime winner in game six against the Detroit Red Wings in the 1964 playoffs on April 23. Earlier in that same game, he had had his ankle broken. He then returned from his injury in overtime to score the game winner. The Leafs won the next game, game seven, 4-0 for their third consecutive Stanley Cup.

Lemieux having Chemo the same day as he played in a playoff game should have an honourable mention even though it wasn't a hockey injury.

Good call, but no footage on Baun excludes him. Unfortunatelly. It goes for Yzerman in 2002 and Modano in 1999 as well.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Good call, but no footage on Baun excludes him. Unfortunatelly. It goes for Yzerman in 2002 and Modano in 1999 as well.

I've seen footage of Baun blasting the puck from the right point for the winner. You just have to dig a little deeper. But if you can't find footage of Yzerman from 02 (which is pretty basic stuff) then that might be asking a little much to go back to 1964.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->