help me become better

CapsChemist

Mar 26, 2006
State College
Here is the issue. I have been playing inline hockey for a year now and i think I've reached a point where it seems I'm not improving.

The kids i usually play with all have ice hockey experience and are all really good. Skating is not the issue because i can keep up with all of em and skate better then some, the thing is the quickness of the game.

Some of these kids play college hockey and the games move so fast my head is spinning. When i get the puck i kind of panic because i have so little time to make a decision, i usually end up just skating the puck up really fast on the wing and circling the net.

I guess what I'm asking is can i ever play at their level and how do i improve my vision, hockey sense?

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Just keep playing experence is the best way to get better. You have to work on the small stuff(really small) you have to spend many many hours doing the small things to get better. It's gonna take a lot of dedication.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
You've only been playing hockey for a year?

That's not very long... I started playing inline hockey at 10 years old and I'm 25 now... If you can keep up with players who have ice hockey experience (skating wise), that's impressive... The other aspects of your game will improve the longer you play....

You can't expect to be at their level overnight... Playing against BETTER competition is the best way to improve... I was lucky growing up and always had older, better players to play against....

Now I rarely come across a player that I can't match up against very well...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
funny how the latest generation gown up watching the half hour sit com and one hour series look for resolution in such short time frames. lol A year is a VERY short time period. I agree with wolf that time will bring results but you also have to build your confidence. I say that bacause of your comment about panic mode actions. Get some practice time in and work on different attacks and approaches. When you have built the skill bring it into your game WITH CONFIDENCE.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
You've only been playing hockey for a year?

That's not very long... I started playing inline hockey at 10 years old and I'm 25 now... If you can keep up with players who have ice hockey experience (skating wise), that's impressive... The other aspects of your game will improve the longer you play....

You can't expect to be at their level overnight... Playing against BETTER competition is the best way to improve... I was lucky growing up and always had older, better players to play against....

Now I rarely come across a player that I can't match up against very well...

Agree if it is not too much better. He may need a mix with lesser competition as well to build confidence. Decisions will come quicker when repeated.

bosstown

Aug 2, 2006
This is a good thread, and I think that many beginning--novice players have had the same panic feeling; I know I did. Mine came in the form of blind passes to where I thought my teammates would be rather than keeping my head up and seeing where they are/will be.

A big part of the solution comes from realizing that you go into this panic mode. Some critical thinking about my actions on the ice helped me out a lot. My advice is to remind yourself next time you step on the rink, whenever you're close to the puck/ball, on the bench, etc. about your usual response to that panic; and make every effort to correct. The posts above are right that it won't happen overnight, but it won't happen at all without paying attention and purposefully trying to overcome this challenge.

After some conscious effort not to make my usual mistakes, I came to realize that I generally have a little more time than I suspect. Protect the puck, take a look around the rink, not every pass has to be tape to tape--leading a player and using the boards works too, and don't forget that you (should!) have help back at the point.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
and don't forget that you (should!) have help back at the point.

Very good point! Try to remember that the puck doesn't always have to go forward. Find the open ice to buy yourself time and you'll find the open guy.

i usually end up just skating the puck up really fast on the wing and circling the net.

There's not a thing wrong with that. That's one of my favorite plays.You have tons of options from there. While everyone is watching you circle behind the net look for teammates breaking down the slot or the usually open defenseman at the point. Try a wraparound if it's available.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
With me i've been playing for 11 years and i barely improve every year you have to practice a lot and work on the little stuff.

One of my friends started 2 years ago and he barely improves now you just have to work on the little stuff.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Everyone here has had great ideas. Time, practice, better competition....etc. All great ideas. I've played for almost 40 years so I don't really remember what finally made it all click for me. I coached for a long time, quit when I had kids and now I am getting back into it since my son became a peewee 2 years ago. He isn't a natural talent kid and really has to work hard. He came from and still plays baseball almost all year round and that moves really slow. The speed of the game and the quick thinking are definately his biggest issues. The thing I do with him is have him watch the game. When he's on the bench he watches what the other kids at his position are doing. Where they go without the puck, what they do with when they get it. You spend a good 2/3 of every game on the bench, make good use of that time. I also take him to games and sit all over the place. Both sides, both ends, high, low, and try and see the game before it happens. In other words, try and get one step ahead of what is happening. As the puck is moving between 2 players on a pass figure out what the receiver should do with it before he even gets it. If he's wrong, he see's where it does go and remembers. Next time he's right.
I also try and get him to play every position. You may not be able to do that if you are on a team but maybe try pick up or drop in hockey and play different positions. The best way to know what a defenseman needs when he gets in trouble is to be in the same trouble. Then if you're the wing and you see trouble coming for him you will be in the right place for him.
The theme that keeps being repeated by everyone is "time". There is no substitute for it. You have to spend the time, but I guess my best advice would be to make the most of the time. When you aren't out there........watch who is.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
there is also the proverbial WALL that you have to break through. Intial improvement will be dramatic but you will reach a level where results over time taper off. In many cases it seems to come to a stand still. Dont let it frustrate you. Its part of the natural process.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Just out of curiosity - do you guys have ice time sessions when u can get your gear on and just practice doing whatever? And if so - how do they separate different skill levels?

keef

Dec 25, 2006
San Jose
Just out of curiosity - do you guys have ice time sessions when u can get your gear on and just practice doing whatever? And if so - how do they separate different skill levels?

Yeah, we have skate and shoot sessions where anyone can get out there in their gear and do whatever they want. Usually there are goalies to shoot on. Some sessions are adults only, but they don't differentiate by skill level. It's not necessary since you just do your own thing.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
In terms of getting more patient with the puck, that comes with experience and confidence. Always know where your teamates are and try to anticipate where they are going, thats how i usually find passing lanes, obviously if a guy is on the half boards and im behind the net hes likely to head to the slot. As you continue playing the game just kind of slows down for you and you become more patient and let plays develop instead of forcing it.

Just as important is to work on your play without the puck, finding lanes to get open. With 5 players on the ice chances are you aren't going to have the puck more often then not. Work with your linemates and as chemistry develops you'll start knowing where they are going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->