Help Learning the Game

SweetCarolina

Jun 6, 2007
Asheville, NC
Hey everyone, I have been watching hockey for a about 6 months now and I was wondering if there were any websites or books that could teach me something about the tactics and strategies teams use during games. Also, I get a bit lost when people begin talking about players and how a certain skill of theirs makes them better or their type of play. Basically what I want to know is what to look for in a good player, what to look for in a good team, and spot a good play when it happens. If any of you know of any websites, books or anything that could help me I would really appreciate it. I know the penalties and the rules and everything I just want to be able to watch a game in a more "in-depth" sense.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
512EYPFSP5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU15_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Like its teammates in the Dummies series, Hockey for Dummies is cleverly organized and clearly focused, geared to both fans and players. It is filled with fun stuff such as lists of the 10 best things about the game, the 10 best players, the 10 best teams, and, given even a novice's inability to mistake hockey for Zen, the 10 best hitters. Hockey for Dummies also contains plenty of good, practical advice: Wayne Gretzky offers a clinic on passing, Mark Messier hosts one on face-offs, Brian Leetch counsels players in clinics on defense, and Ron Hextall teaches goaltending. Authors John Davidson and John Steinbreder explain rules, discuss equipment, and detail strategies. They even give pointers on how best to appreciate the game on television. It seems the only thing missing from Hockey for Dummies is a dental referral for the first time one of your incisors gets in the way of an errant puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad