Help: Hockey goal

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
I have a problem; I've been looking around for a solid hockey goal for the past few weeks and I finally found a Franklin metal hockey goal. Since I take shots with real pucks, I needed a real solid crease and net. After 3 days the net has holes everywhere and the posts and crossbars are barely standing...I put some foam around the posts to absorb the shots a bit better but it's hopeless..
Do you have any tips how I could solidify my hockey goal?
Thanks in advance:)

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Yeah, I dropped $100 on mine. It's got a crapton of dents in it, but it's still standing fine.

I did rip one puck through it, though I imagine I hit a weak spot, or something like that, because it's only happened once. Just suck it up and buy one expensive one, won't need another one after that.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Yeah, I dropped $100 on mine. It's got a crapton of dents in it, but it's still standing fine.

I did rip one puck through it, though I imagine I hit a weak spot, or something like that, because it's only happened once. Just suck it up and buy one expensive one, won't need another one after that.

Yeah mine was 100 dollars too. It's got small dents and white marks on it(from the goalie stick) I broke a hole through it too, i just zip tyed the hole.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I think I should clarify, the dents are small enough, and the material it's made out of is thick enough, so the dents won't compromise the structure of the net itself. The only way I would cause any serious damage to it is if I fired a ridiculous number of shots into the same exact spot enough to crack it, which is never going to happen.

So, if you spend a comparable amount on a net, don't be afraid that pending dents are going to damage it.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I think I should clarify, the dents are small enough, and the material it's made out of is thick enough, so the dents won't compromise the structure of the net itself. The only way I would cause any serious damage to it is if I fired a ridiculous number of shots into the same exact spot enough to crack it, which is never going to happen.

So, if you spend a comparable amount on a net, don't be afraid that pending dents are going to damage it.

Yeah it won't break they hold up pretty good.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
check out Riley Manufacturing, based in Woodstock, Ont. Canada. I picked up two of their NHL nets full dressed. 4 years of being outside, year round has not had much of an impact other than some rust on the dressing grommmets and the netting taking on a slight green tint that clears off with a spray down of oxyclean. Pictures were taken today. A bit expensive but there is nothing quite like having official NHL nets direct from the manufacturer.

Sometimes they have some dressing that gets a tad "dirty" so they will sell a net frame and dressing package for about half price. Give them a call. I got two NHL official nets for a little over 600.00US +shipping. I had to dress the goal frames myself, which was a ton of fun.

my youngest using them for soccer practice:
0002.jpg

0001.jpg

Last edited:

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
wow, you sure are lucky to have real nhl goals. I guess I'll just have to buy an expensive one and then I won't need to worry anymore.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
check out Riley Manufacturing, based in Woodstock, Ont. Canada. I picked up two of their NHL nets full dressed. 4 years of being outside, year round has not had much of an impact other than some rust on the dressing grommmets and the netting taking on a slight green tint that clears off with a spray down of oxyclean. Pictures were taken today. A bit expensive but there is nothing quite like having official NHL nets direct from the manufacturer.

Sometimes they have some dressing that gets a tad "dirty" so they will sell a net frame and dressing package for about half price. Give them a call. I got two NHL official nets for a little over 600.00US +shipping. I had to dress the goal frames myself, which was a ton of fun.

my youngest using them for soccer practice:
0002.jpg

0001.jpg

Wow, nice yard you have there. If you ever need a son...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
It works for us. We have 3 boys, more than enough but any of you are always welcome to visit if your in the Western NY/ Buffalo Area.

here is a view out the back of the house....

backyard.jpg

The mowed section is about 3 acres and part of the field in new growth to the right , about another 5 acres, is my property. In the winter, hte area from the grapes on hte right behind the old shed(excuse the mess, we are about to get rid of that eye sore, rework the driveway, put in the 3 car garage, deck, landscaping and retaining walls) to the right just beyond where the net is placed becomes an out door ice rink w/ boards and lights. The boards are in storage for the summer. Someday I will have the roller surface put in for a summer rink.

Honestly, I had spent several hundred on nets replacing them repeatedly. Purchasing the NHL nets from Riley was actually a SAVINGS in the long term. They have already paid for about half of themselves in just not having to buy replacement netting. I love taking them to the street/floor hockey program that I Head coach. Most of the kids in this rural area have never been close to an NHL net and do not realize just how big it really is. Started several years ago with about 40 kids age 6 to 11 and grown to over 600 from 1st to 8th grade. I think I know the names of just about every kid in the elementary and middle school. lol

The heavy gage tounament goal from franklin is about the closes you get but the netting is not UV resistant. One season in the sun and pucks will blow through the netting. Be sure to tarp them over or keep them indoors when not in use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->