Helmet Cages: Clear Plastic vs Metal

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
When I wear a full cage I use a combo. I have the Itech fx50 (I think thats the model #). It works pretty well. If the shield gets too scratched it can be replaced.

I think a full visor would be hot.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I rocked an OG Itech full visor back in the 80s. It sucked. Fogged up and felt like I was wearing a fishbowl. Wouldn't do it again.

I currently use a CCM FM480, which is the standard facemask you see worn by many college players. I've worn other wire cages but this one is the best, because the holes are bigger than other company models, it's lightweight, fits any helmet, and also looks good. You can get it for $30 or less anywhere.

p_04012-3.jpg

p_04012-4.jpg

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Full itech I never liked. Always got marked up quick and then became useless. Like others said it can be warm and fog quickly

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Take real good care of it...once they get marked up its time to spend more money on a new one. They sure dont come cheap. A properly installed and fit HECC cage shouldnt bother your vision.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I use a combo too. Haven't had any issues with scratching and fogging has been at a minimum. Only fogs when we play at the crappy rink...and my shield isn't the only thing that fogs, the glass along the rink does, and it's known to get fog coming from the ice during some days. The shampoo on the visor really does work in keeping you fog free. Just don't do stupid stuff, cause I know lots of peple just chuck the thing into their equipment bag which leads to scratchs with your equipment rubbing against it and stuff. Isn't hard to wrap it with a jersey before putting it in the bag.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Any horror stories/urban myths on somebody taking a slapper to their Itech and it exploding? I've never heard this, but I bet it's happened...like in Newfoundland or something...

Also, many years ago (late 80s) I went to a Brown vs. RPI game, and the Brown goalie was wearing an Itech shield. I thought this was dumb (for obvious and similiar reasons as written above) and I've never seen it since then...

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
The combo I have is also (I discovered) a convertible in case you did want to go back at some point. I really preferred the visibility of the combo over the cage, and only had it marked in one of the last games of my minor hockey career after using it for a couple of years, and even then it was an unfortunate falling into a stick's tape end incident.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Any horror stories/urban myths on somebody taking a slapper to their Itech and it exploding? I've never heard this, but I bet it's happened...like in Newfoundland or something...

Also, many years ago (late 80s) I went to a Brown vs. RPI game, and the Brown goalie was wearing an Itech shield. I thought this was dumb (for obvious and similiar reasons as written above) and I've never seen it since then...

They arn't supposed to break...made out of Lexan I think it's called. Even if it breaks I don't think it shatters as much as just cracks. But yes, I have seen stuff like this break, not visors, but goal neck danglers.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I prefer a full cage.

I had a combo but it kept getting scratched and fogged. Full visor was horrible. I just wanted to look like Jayna Hefford.

I have a Bauer 8000 cage and I really like it.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I had a combo but it kept getting scratched and fogged. Full visor was horrible.

I had the same problem but I still prefer a visor. I was always alternating throughout my life in an effort to keep costs down. A cage will last a long time whereas my visors usually held up for under two years before I got fed up and switched back.

I haven't tried any of the new clear visors on the market. Maybe they're better these days.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site

I don't think that can happen. I had an old used one that a bunch of us tried to break. We jumped on it and hit it with the butt end of sticks. Did not do any major damage.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
I went from a combo set-up (FX50) to a cage. The combo would fog up in the summer, but mainly I prefer the airflow with the cage. Just less hassle IMHO and after a while you'll even forget it's there.

Marshy's

Sep 16, 2005
Ottawa
I prefer a cage and if your looking for one the best one to get (if you can find it) is one of those old Cooper bubble cages, they were the best.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
For me personally I would take the Itech cage that is two toned (white on the inside, and black ont he outside) I have had this last one for 3 years and it is great it shows a little rust, but I guess that is my own fault cause I keep it in my bag, rather than take it out

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
ya man having a fish tank on your head looks so sweet i hope you roll down the drive thru window when you chirp haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->