Injury Report: Helm to miss start of camp with injury

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/team/1357936573-48-769/red-wings-darren-helm-will.html

Detroit Red Wings center Darren Helm will miss the start of training camp Sunday after getting hurt while working out.

“He tweaked something working out,'' general manager Ken Holland said. “Doctors told him to take a few days off and they'll look at it on Monday. We'll see if he needs tests after that.''

Holland wouldn't reveal what was tweaked. Helm hasn't skated the past two days in Troy with his teammates.

and so it begins :shakehead

CloneHakanPlease*

And so it begins.

Edit: lol, didn't even see you posted the exact same thing above.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Kovalchuk

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think shortened season is going to be kind to some of the older players.

I wonder if we'll see some teams try and rest some players during back to back to back stretches?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Pretty sure we didn't need Helm missing any time in camp after his injury last season, but at least we can bank on him not running out of gas during the sprint of a short season.

I don't think shortened season is going to be kind to some of the older players.

I wonder if we'll see some teams try and rest some players during back to back to back stretches?

Not wishing injuries on anyone, but I won't complain if Bert or Sammy have to miss time due to injury or just being old codgers. Might be the only way Gus gets decent minutes this season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Maybe we could see Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Filppula-Abdelkader center core...

Franzen - Zeta - Brunner
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Mursak!
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Miller - AKader - Tootoo
(Emmy)

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He's not Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Filppula, but Helm is far from just a 3rd/4th liner on this team. He's by far the most valuable "bottom 6" forward and I'd personally rank him as Detroit's 5th most valuable forward (only behind the 3 already mentioned and Franzen.)

Does anybody remember how much different the 3rd line looked last year when Helm went down? His speed is everything. That line looked awful without Helm. His speed makes every single player on his unit more effective. In addition, he's valuable for eating up minutes on the PK.

Hopefully he's healthy and hopefully Brunner and Mursak can inject some more speed throughout the lineup, because the team looked very slow without Helm last year.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
I hope its not the MCL he strained last year ... everytime time you micro tear it (even in slight strains) it repairs will less healthy fibers and becomes more scarred, fibrous, and prone to re-injury. A grissled mcl for a young guy that relies on speed as much as Helm is BAD news. Hopefully its something else.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Get used to "tweaks" this season...

I think I just heard Z's back flare up...

...and I think I just heard one of Pav's fingers mysteriously break...

...and I think I just heard Bert throw his back out while taking a lazy wrist shot that broke Cleary's jaw...

...etc...

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I think I just heard Z's back flare up...

...and I think I just heard one of Pav's fingers mysteriously break...

...and I think I just heard Bert throw his back out while taking a lazy wrist shot that broke Cleary's jaw...

...etc...

That would Sammy, now that he's back. :shakehead

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

There's 3 different references there but you reminded me of 2 times our players injured poor Danny Cleary- Game 7, 2011 vs San Jose, Hudler had a terrible collision with Cleary and Cleary left the game very concussed. He said it took hours to come back to and remember what had happened. And in 2010 remember Cleary tried to jump over Stuarts shot, got him and broke his ankle.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There's 3 different references there but you reminded me of 2 times our players injured poor Danny Cleary- Game 7, 2011 vs San Jose, Hudler had a terrible collision with Cleary and Cleary left the game very concussed. He said it took hours to come back to and remember what had happened. And in 2010 remember Cleary tried to jump over Stuarts shot, got him and broke his ankle.

Yeah Cleary gets a lot of friendly fire. Lately Helm has been getting hurt a lot, not a good sign whatever it is this is the fourth time in a year he has been hurt. Spent most of the lockout with a broken bone can't remember if it was the eye or jaw.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yeah Cleary gets a lot of friendly fire. Lately Helm has been getting hurt a lot, not a good sign whatever it is this is the fourth time in a year he has been hurt. Spent most of the lockout with a broken bone can't remember if it was the eye or jaw.

Yeps

Helm has experienced a rough stretch of injuries over the past 13 months.

He needed stitches in his lip after being hit with a puck during pregame warmups in Nashville on Dec. 26.

He missed the final 10 regular season games after suffering a sprained medial collateral ligament on March 17, when he delivered a hit on San Jose's Dominic Moore but got the worst of the exchange.

Then, in his first game back, he had tendons in his forearm sliced by Alexander Radulov's skate blade in the playoff opener against Nashville, ending his season.

The bad luck continued during the lockout, when Helm was hit by a deflected puck Nov. 2 during an informal practice at the Troy Sports Center and suffered a broken orbital bone, which did not require surgery.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_darren_helm_will_mis.html

And now a "tweak"

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I won't get too concerned until we get some more detail as far as how long he's expected to be out of commission. If he's not good to go for opening night that's obviously a big concern. My guess is that breaks up the Z-Pavs-Brunner line and makes Pavs, Z and Fil your top three centers. No line will have the offensive punch you'd expect if you can put Pavs and Z on a line together. Abby isn't a 4th line center, let alone a 3rd line center.

Get well soon, Helmer. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->