Hello XM, goodbye Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
boredmale said:
My take on stern is this. he has anywhere from 12-18 million people listening. Of those people 1.5(give or take 500,000) will buy sirius radio for the jan 1, 2006 move. That in itself should make the deal he signed worth every penny they gave him. Beyond that within the next 5 years, i think satilite radio will become a more viable option, so alot of the remaining 11-17 million people who might decide to get satilite radio, will say hey why don't i go with the one howard is on(which could potentially be another 2-3 million subscriptions during the life of the contract).

If should be interesting to see the figure of how many people subscribe to each at the end of 2006.

Let me ask you this...Do you think Stern will be doing any radio past the age of 60? what is he 52 right now??
O and A are early 30's and Lil Jimmy Norton is 34...the bbbboys will be around and on radio while Howard will be long gone, probably dead from some heinous disease like cancer because he made fun of that lil' feller Ryan who died of cancer when he was 15. Not a lot of yuks in a kid dying from cancer.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
dem said:
Not only a O&A fanboy... an XM fanboy.

What do you care if Sirius is losing money? Is it your money? Do you actually think theyre going to go under? Ofcourse not.
Its funny though. If O&A were on sirius you would be holding onto sirius' nuts just like youre doing to XM right now.

I would love to have both however I can't afford an 18 wheeler trailer to carry the Sirius battery plus with gas 3 bucks a gallon that could be costly having to tow that daily wheww!!

I have one word for people when it comes to choosing XM over Sirius..."MyFi" Do yourself a favor and do a lil' research on the technology..it's not even close!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Briannj1970 said:
I just can't wait for the 24/7 NHL talk station. :D

It will probably be more like 19/7. Baseball doesn't even do talk 24 hours a day, their morning show is repeated twice because its only 2 hours long (I don't listen to it). And at night they replay radio broadcasts of classic games, which is cool, it doesn't make me listen, but sometimes I put it on while im going to sleep

Skroob*

boredmale said:
will they ever learn to switch the station:P

The way i look at it though is Sirius seems to have more to offer then XM(and i am not speaking in terms of Howard Stern). I am pretty sure Sirius has NFL and NBA as well as nascar(as stupid as that sounds it will probably get them a few more buys). I probably won't get either and just continue to download stern shows off the net(but if i ever do get one stern would be a bigger selling point for me)

The NFL is one of the weakest selling points for radio when you think about it. teams play once a week (and all at the same time, for the most part) for just 16 or so times a year. On top of that if you are such a fan, you are going to be at home/in a bar watching the games.

Baseball, with 162 games a year, day, early evening, and night almost every day, is a much smarter deal for a company to bring in, since you stand a better chance of people actually tuning in.

NBA wont sell that much either. True, golfers will manage to get their hands on the units, but they wont work for them after the account is canceled.

Also, its not about "switch the station." most people who write complaints, lead protests and rant and rave against "evil" often hear of everything second-hand. look at the parents television council for proof, and not that fantasy movie Private Parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skroob*

Chuck Shick said:
I would love to have both however I can't afford an 18 wheeler trailer to carry the Sirius battery plus with gas 3 bucks a gallon that could be costly having to tow that daily wheww!!

You can always tie a bandana around it.

Hoo-hoo rah-been.

Leaf Lander said:
how does beign a subscriber to xm make you an expert on business and on sirius

sirisu has made a profits these last 2 quarters

yes, but this is all before howies contract kicks in. right now, they are using his name, but not paying him those bajillions yet.

ugh, i am sooo tempted to invite some "pests" from the 'bag over to this thread, and in doing so bring this entire site down, but im a dot-netter, and dont play that sthick ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
dem said:
Do you think if they were in trouble they would be spending the money theyre spending? Give your head a shake. They'll be in trouble in 10 years if it hasnt caught on.

Regardless of current subscriptions... XM looked to be in more trouble to me cause they have WEAK CONTENT. Everyone will be talking about Sirius when Howard goes on his media blitz.. or when Oprah is plugging her radio station everyday. Who the hell is out there to promote XM? O&A? Give me a break. No one even knows who they are.

Sirius looks like it has a FUTURE.

I'd love to know where you're getting your information from.

Fact : In the span of one year, XM has gone from 2.4 million listeners to over 4.5 million subscribers. Sirius, on the other hand, has climbed from 600,000 subscribers to 1.8 million subscribers, over the same time period. This time period includes the Stern and Martha Stewart signing. Sure...XM is in some serious trouble!

Fact: XM began selling the first and only true portable satellite receiver, the MyFi, last October. Sirius has yet to even figure out how to make their receivers receive live programming portably. Their latest innovation, the S50, carries 50 hours of recordable programming and a fancy color screen...but that's about it...and it'll run you about $500 for the complete package...while the XM MyFi receives portable live programming and includes all kits, which is less than half of the price of the S50. XM is so far ahead of the game, that they're just about ready to unveil the second generation portable MyFi receiver....Sirius will probably not even have their first true portable device until 2006 or 2007.

Fact: XM now has the MLB and will soon have exclusive rights to the NHL. Two top sports in their respected countries...US and Canada. Sirius has the NFL, the NBA, and Nascar, which, all three sports are extremely popular, but not as radio friendly. Most people are home watching football and Nascar on the weekends. It simply is not as important as the 160 plus games that baseball teams play, during the day, while people are in their car or at work.

Fact: XM only has two major contracts to pay off....MLB....which pays $650 million over the span of 11 years, and the NHL, a 10 year deal worth $100 million. Sirius on the other hand has the Howard Stern project, which will cost the company $500 million over 5 years. Martha Stewart $30 million over 4 years, Nascar $107 million over 5 years, and Oprah is rumored to be headed there for an undisclosed amount. Depending upon how much Oprah signs for (which I'm sure will be outrageous), you may see Sirius with just under a billion dollars over no more than five years to be paid out to 4 different entities.

Yeah, you're right, XM is in deep trouble...I can already see the new subscribers flocking to Sirius...and the current XM subscribers ditching their SkyFi's and MyFi's for the hi-tech Sirius receivers. :shakehead

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
XM still has the NASCAR contract for the rest of this season, and next. The little doggie way overpaid for that contract, like they do for most.

It will be interesting to see how and "uncensored" Hoo-Hoo does. I just don't see him caring enough to put out a great show. He hasn't cared for the last years.
He'll only be doing a 3 hour show, 4 days a week, with 12 weeks vacation. Boy, that's really giving his audience what they want! :shakehead

Bush is after me Rob-been... Tell'em Fred.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers26 said:
XM still has the NASCAR contract for the rest of this season, and next. The little doggie way overpaid for that contract, like they do for most.

It will be interesting to see how and "uncensored" Hoo-Hoo does. I just don't see him caring enough to put out a great show. He hasn't cared for the last years.
He'll only be doing a 3 hour show, 4 days a week, with 12 weeks vacation. Boy, that's really giving his audience what they want! :shakehead

Bush is after me Rob-been... Tell'em Fred.

"I've done it all!"

Sirius paid $107M over 5 years for Nascar??? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

and people one here are saying XM overpaid for hockey.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Its funny seeing an O&A fan make fun of bubba the love sponge... cause theyre about on the same level. :p:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Sirius paid $107M over 5 years for Nascar??? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

and people one here are saying XM overpaid for hockey.

I hate NASCAR, but fact is they have a larger fanbase

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
I haven't seen a debate this exciting since the great Beta vs. VHS War.

Boy did I pick the wrong pony.

At least I have my Colecovision to pass the time...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
boredmale said:

I would think that the only thing more boring that watching it on TV would be listening to it on the radio.

Do you think bowling would do well on the radio?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
boredmale said:

But still they are paying more for a lot less programming.

NASCAR has what, one race a week, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

The NHL deal gives every NHL game (1230 games) with potentially two radio feeds each (home/away), so the total programming is something over 6000 hours.

theo

Feb 22, 2005
no chance that xm offers both home/away feeds. they don't even do it for baseball.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
theo said:
no chance that xm offers both home/away feeds. they don't even do it for baseball.

I don't have XM (yet), which feeds do they pick up for MLB - home, away, or random.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
kdb209 said:
NASCAR has what, one race a week, maybe 3 or 4 hours.

I am not sure how it works but does Sisiurs have a 24 hour NASCAR channel? I know XM could just create thee own racing channel, but Sirius must have a racing channel so having right to NASCAR means they get exclusiv interviews.

Like in my howard stern arguement, you have to look at how many subcribers will buy the radio due to the fact they have a certain product(weither it be Stern or NASCAR or NHL) on it. If the fact that NASCAR is on Sirius gets them roughly 200,000-250,000 new subscribers who want that, it was a good investment.

I actually think the NHL on XM was a smart move for them, since it will get them alot of new subscribers in Canaada since we just got satilite radio up here recently(10 million for US rights would be way to much).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
kdb209 said:
I don't have XM (yet), which feeds do they pick up for MLB - home, away, or random.

Typically the home feed. Sunday Nights they use the ESPN feed.

Who said Bubba the Love Sponge is on the same level as OnA? That is just not a smart thing to say because it isn't true.

For the NHL I would think XM would do the same thing, aside from HNIC where they would use the national CBC radio feed from Canada.

boredmale said:

This is true, but they only race once a week. Hockey is on every night from October to June.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Leaf Lander said:
sirius has a connection to cbc i wonder if they will get hnic and air it

They could possibly carry it as part of their current NHL deal for the next two seasons, but starting in '07 XM has the exclusive rights to all NHL broadcasts, including CBC/HNIC. And remember XM is expanding into Canada, Sirius is not.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
the nfl is perfect hey play once a week many on the same nights however for the rest of the week the nfl fans can listen to superior popular music that is broadcasted by sirius 24/7 ....

try it for yourself www.sirius.com

free 3 day trial

meanwhile mlb fansgenerally are not hockey fasn so they make there accnt inactive at xm till april and hockey fanswill amke there accnts inactive when there team gets elimnated from the playoff race anddont reactivate till nov

sirius has offices in canada that employ canadians

xm doesnt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad