Hello XM, goodbye Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Is that why stations on terrestrial radio dropped his program? If he was just a huge name who bring in ratings these stations would keep him around.

Are you seriously stupid enough to argue this?

HMMM I WONDER WHY THEYRE DROPPING HIM.
Get a brain. I can't believe how crazy sat radio fanboys are.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Sweet deal since I have an XM radio. I don't think Howard Stern will have the appeal on satellite radio. His whole career has been based on being a shock jock and seeing how far he can go on the radio. This will be gone with satellite radio.

Anyone know what the financial deal with Sirius was? $10 mil a year might be more than the NBC tv deal LOL. XM overpaid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers26 said:
Jackie wrote all of Stern's one liners he used. He has sucked since Jackie left.
Stern muzzled? What do you called being off the air for over 2 yrs, like O&A where?
Stern behind closed doors, constantly ran to Mel, to threaten O&A, when they both worked for Infinity. O&A where not allowed to mention anything about Hoo-Hoo.
Stern's a tool, who's show has been unlistenable for the past 10 yrs.
O&A are handing out 5 "golden Tickets", taking DJ's off commercial air, and getting them to XM. They got Ron & Fez, and have 4 more. Amazingly, Hoo-Hoo just announced he's doing the same! :eek: The guy's a tool, who hasn't had an original idea since the 80's.

What are you talking about?

Howie invented WOW!

Tell 'em Fred!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

XM probably did overpay, but you also have to remember that XM is getting ready to move into an entire new country with a lot of new markets and the country's past time as a major selling point. And since XM is turning profits now, they can afford to take a risk

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
dem said:
Are you seriously stupid enough to argue this?

HMMM I WONDER WHY THEYRE DROPPING HIM.
Get a brain. I can't believe how crazy sat radio fanboys are.

because his radio programming is crap now. This is from someone who listened to Stern and O&A every day while they were both syndicated in Philly, and before satellite radio was even in the picture. He considers himself as the pioneer of satellite radio when two programs already made the jump :biglaugh:

garypl

Aug 2, 2005
Sirius and hockey are still here for 2 more full seasons people as well as being on XM starting this year---I think it wont matter as much here in the US but in Canada, it could be big bucks for XM in the beginning of 3 years from now when its not available on sirius--Seems like alot of cash

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
here's some more info, from fmqb.com

"...In addition to providing live coverage of more than 1,000 games per season, XM will create an NHL radio channel featuring original programming that will focus on all aspects of the sport. The NHL channel also will be available in Canada through XM's partner, Canadian Satellite Radio (CSR)."

I invented hockey... Tell'em Fred.. Hoo-Hoo...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers26 said:
here's some more info, from fmqb.com

"...In addition to providing live coverage of more than 1,000 games per season, XM will create an NHL radio channel featuring original programming that will focus on all aspects of the sport. The NHL channel also will be available in Canada through XM's partner, Canadian Satellite Radio (CSR)."

I invented hockey... Tell'em Fred.. Hoo-Hoo...

They do the same for baseball.

Anyone know if Sirius did this?

P.S. Baron, did you hear E-Lo on O&A this morning?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers26 said:
No, I missed most of the show this morning. What did he have to say? Golden ticket for Farell???

No they were talking about the hockey deal. I was in school during most of the show, but Mike Milbury and Jeff Halpern were supossedly on the show today.

rockon83

Mar 22, 2004
Manhattan(MA native)
anyone know bout the NHL LIVE 2 hour daily nhl show they had on sirius last season? is that going to start up again? you used to be able to listen to it live on nhl.com and it was stored to listen to later on in the day. any insight would be appreciated.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
garypl said:
Sirius and hockey are still here for 2 more full seasons people as well as being on XM starting this year---I think it wont matter as much here in the US but in Canada, it could be big bucks for XM in the beginning of 3 years from now when its not available on sirius--Seems like alot of cash

I think the big reason XM gave that cash is because they are starting up in Canada and the hockey will be a huge selling point. It will pay off just in the customers they sign here for the hockey content

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
boredmale said:
I think the big reason XM gave that cash is because they are starting up in Canada and the hockey will be a huge selling point. It will pay off just in the customers they sign here for the hockey content

Exactly. Hockey is the #1 sport in Canada, and knowing for the next 10 years, you''ll hear it on XM, people will choose that over the little doggie.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers26 said:
Exactly. Hockey is the #1 sport in Canada, and knowing for the next 10 years, you''ll hear it on XM, people will choose that over the little doggie.

"No! They will come to Sirius. I invented choosing, Robin"

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Insecure of what? A rival hemmoraging money?

Not only a O&A fanboy... an XM fanboy.

What do you care if Sirius is losing money? Is it your money? Do you actually think theyre going to go under? Ofcourse not.
Its funny though. If O&A were on sirius you would be holding onto sirius' nuts just like youre doing to XM right now.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
dem said:
Do you actually think theyre going to go under? Ofcourse not.
how does this make sense? if the company loses money at the rate at which they are doing so now, they'll either have to be bailed out yet again by a big auto company, or they'll have to file for bankruptcy. what are they, 500 million+ in debt?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
ryanlambert said:
how does this make sense? if the company loses money at the rate at which they are doing so now, they'll either have to be bailed out yet again by a big auto company, or they'll have to file for bankruptcy. what are they, 500 million+ in debt?

Do you think if they were in trouble they would be spending the money theyre spending? Give your head a shake. They'll be in trouble in 10 years if it hasnt caught on.

Regardless of current subscriptions... XM looked to be in more trouble to me cause they have WEAK CONTENT. Everyone will be talking about Sirius when Howard goes on his media blitz.. or when Oprah is plugging her radio station everyday. Who the hell is out there to promote XM? O&A? Give me a break. No one even knows who they are.

Sirius looks like it has a FUTURE.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
dem said:
Do you think if they were in trouble they would be spending the money theyre spending? Give your head a shake.

I think Sirius is losing money now. But they predict within the next 10 years there will be roughly 30 million units of satilite radio sold. Sirius is banking that by giving stern, NFL, NASCAR, Martha Stewart, etc. big contracts, that they will be the to gain most of those new subcribers.

I think one of the reason XM wanted hockey was because Sirius had NFL and NBA, while XM has Baseball. This sort of equals out the sports they have on there stations. Beyond that liek i said above XM is moving up to Canada and i think the subcriptions the NHL will get them in hockey alone will pay off the contract they gave the NHL.

From an NHL standpoint i think it would have been smarter to sign a shorter deal(5 years) for less money and see where the market is 5 years from now, they might have under values there worth.

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
This was actually rumored about a month ago. Apparently there were hockey players in Bruce Kelly's studio. When Kelly was asked about the possibility of the NHL coming over the XM he wouldn't confirm or deny it. The talk on two of the XM boards really started heating up over the possibility, especially since Sirius' rights weren't exclusive. I was pretty close to picking up a Sirius receiver to go alongside of my XM one but now I'm definitely passing.

As far as Howard goes, Sirius'll see a spike in sales once he actually does move over but I wouldn't bet on anything that big. I don't think their sales spiked over the rumor that he was going to move to Sirius come Labor Day. Bottom line is that Howard Stern's slowly becoming the Saturday Night Live of radio and more people recognize this than those who don't. I used to love Stern but he hasn't been funny in years. I'd love to pick up a Sirius receiver...listen to O&A on the way to work and listen to the Stern repeat on the way home. Stern's not all that funny any longer.

I just can't wait for the 24/7 NHL talk station. :D

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Briannj1970 said:
As far as Howard goes, Sirius'll see a spike in sales once he actually does move over but I wouldn't bet on anything that big. I don't think their sales spiked over the rumor that he was going to move to Sirius come Labor Day. Bottom line is that Howard Stern's slowly becoming the Saturday Night Live of radio and more people recognize this than those who don't. I used to love Stern but he hasn't been funny in years. I'd love to pick up a Sirius receiver...listen to O&A on the way to work and listen to the Stern repeat on the way home. Stern's not all that funny any longer.

My take on stern is this. he has anywhere from 12-18 million people listening. Of those people 1.5(give or take 500,000) will buy sirius radio for the jan 1, 2006 move. That in itself should make the deal he signed worth every penny they gave him. Beyond that within the next 5 years, i think satilite radio will become a more viable option, so alot of the remaining 11-17 million people who might decide to get satilite radio, will say hey why don't i go with the one howard is on(which could potentially be another 2-3 million subscriptions during the life of the contract).

If should be interesting to see the figure of how many people subscribe to each at the end of 2006.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
petelars said:
So, for example, I live in Denmark, only get to listen to NHL games, well 99% of the time, anyways. Would local stations still be allowed to webcast? (i.e. would 630CHED still be allowed to webcast Oilers games, once XM takes over?).

xm doesnt broadcast over in europe
and yes i imagine all local radio stations l have there local teams righst as always

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
not if they can't make any money!

how does being a longitme subscriber to xm make you an expert on business and on sirius sattelite radio?

sirisus has made a profits these last 2 quarters

howard and the nfl are pushing sirius towards the 3 milliom goal

thats not far behind xm considering they had a yr and a half head start on sirius

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->