Hello XM, goodbye Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolinaCapsFan

May 26, 2005
NC
I've had XM for years now and I have to say that this is wonderful news. Every hockey match, no blackouts, no extra fees. I can't wait.

As for the Sirius vs XM debate. XM has better musical programming, more and better exclusives (the MLB thing is very popular) and in my opinion has better equipment (the Roady and MyFi are both masterpieces of design). As for Howard Stern I could care less, the guy hasn't been revelent for years...

Skroob*

boredmale said:
they will choose sirius because oh that's the one Howard Went too.

tell that to the car companies who turned down Sirius units as standard equipment *precisely* for that reason.

OnA have done their fair share of "naughty" things, but soccer-moms and fundies see howie as the son of Satan.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Skroob said:
tell that to the car companies who turned down Sirius units as standard equipment *precisely* for that reason.

OnA have done their fair share of "naughty" things, but soccer-moms and fundies see howie as the son of Satan.

will they ever learn to switch the station:P

The way i look at it though is Sirius seems to have more to offer then XM(and i am not speaking in terms of Howard Stern). I am pretty sure Sirius has NFL and NBA as well as nascar(as stupid as that sounds it will probably get them a few more buys). I probably won't get either and just continue to download stern shows off the net(but if i ever do get one stern would be a bigger selling point for me)

theo

Feb 22, 2005
I'll be keeping Sirius for the next few months at least. I bought a one year plan and its been worth every penny. Once October of '07 rolls around I'll reconsider. The best part of this deal is that xm nor sirius has exclusive immediately.

Oh and in the large scale of things, Stern will sell many more subscriptions than the NHL will. Listening to out of market hockey games doesn't appeal to the masses.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
theo said:
I'll be keeping Sirius for the next few months at least. I bought a one year plan and its been worth every penny. Once October of '07 rolls around I'll reconsider. The best part of this deal is that xm nor sirius has exclusive immediately.

Oh and in the large scale of things, Stern will sell many more subscriptions than the NHL will. Listening to out of market hockey games doesn't appeal to the masses.

hockey also doesn't appeal to the markets Sirius tends to. Like I said before Sirius is a bit more urban than XM is. It's almost like MTV to VH1.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I've never saw the appeal of those two guys

O&A

Not sure that I find them funny at all.

I also think that Jackie the Jokeman was a pathetic charachter on Stern and while I like Artie, as sidekicks go, he's alright, but he's not the reason I listen.

And to be honest, he should go back to boozing, he's alot more funnier when he's working with a hangover.

Stern has been pretty much muzzeled for the last 5 years while O&A have built their reputations, now that Howard is going to be able to actually let his vision free, the 3.2 million in subscribers will be made up in a heartbeat.

just an opinion.

Mick Vukota

Feb 4, 2004
I don't have satellite radio mainly because I don't think I'd listen to it enough to justify the purchase, but this announcement along with the fact that Ron and Fez, O + A, and MLB are on while Stern is NOT may finally get me to buy XM.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Skroob said:
I invented hockey. Hoo-hoo, tell 'em Fred!

:biglaugh:

"You know that code with the dots and the dashes, someone ripped me off, that used to be called Howie Code"

People are forgetting that Howie is going to have to make up more than 3.2M subs...don't forget the people who will be buying XM for the holidays as well.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I'd wager that Sirius will be a much hotter item this christmas than XM is.
XM doesnt have anyone like Howard that can go on any talkshow he wants to promote. Howard draws huge ratings.

Hate on him all you want. Fact of the matter is he is a very very big deal.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
dem said:
XM doesnt have anyone like Howard that can go on any talkshow he wants to promote. Howard draws huge ratings.

He may bring in subs, but he won't be bringing in money based on how outrageously he is being paid.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
dem said:

howard is a big deal, but it's a big contract with big expectations. sirius is hanging their entire company's hopes on him, and, if this was 10 years ago, then there would be nothing to worry about. however, howie's numbers have been dropping in some major markets, and he's not #1 any more in a lot of places.

IF stern brings in 1 million subscribers, that's 12 million dollars a month, or 144 million a year, which would put them ahead of the game if that was the only money sirius was giving out. however, they pay absurd amounts of money to people like martha stewart, eminem, etc. and even more for their NFL, NASCAR, and NBA contracts so, in the end, they end up coming close to breaking even or even still being in the red.

sirius is hemmoraghing money right now and the only bright side for them, as far as i can see, is that satellite radio on the whole is going to grow more and more. but sirius has inferior technology, worse contracts to pay, fewer subscribers, greater cost-per-subscriber acquisition rates, and worse marketing and name recognition (although the latter could change when howie comes over).

oh, and that's another thing. howard is coming AFTER christmas. i have no doubt that a big christmas rush is going to take place for both companies (probably XM moreso), but howard's lack of visibility on the platform around thanksgiving may end up hurting them, although i'm sure he'll be stumping before then.

p.s. i have a foot thing on my foot

Anthony*

go kim johnsson 514 said:
He may bring in subs, but he won't be bringing in money based on how outrageously he is being paid.
please

dont act like youre the cfo of sirius

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Sirius' receivers will absolutely not be the hottest selling items this Christmas.

Their receivers are absolute trash. Have you read about their new fancy "S50" receiver...ya know, the one they're claiming will be the big seller this Christmas??? $370.00 for this "hi-tech" receiver that has a fancy color screen and 50 hours of recording capabilities. Sounds good right? Well, not quite...because you still won't be able to listen to live programming away from the home or car dock. The unit has to be docked in order to record and listen to live satellite radio programming. Oh, and to make matters worse...you'll have to spend an extra $100 on the home kit, cuz that isn't included in the original package. So, you're looking at $500 for a receiver that is basically a Sirius Sportster...but with a color screen and 50 hours recordable time. It's an absolute waste. Sirius has simply sacrificed upgrading their technology for adding expensive content. Howard will cost them $500 million over 5 years (for a 4 day a week show, with 10-12 weeks off including holidays, a year!)! Nascar cost them well over $100 million, Martha Stewart cost them $30 million, and Oprah (who is rumored to be getting her own channel) will undoubtedly cost them millions. They're putting themselves in big trouble because people aren't signing up for Sirius in droves, and I'm glad the NHL will soon no longer be part of that cash cow.

XM has figured out how to receive live programming portably, and it's all integrated into the MyFi, which is the best receiver available today. XM will go further than that very soon, with even more improved receivers and even a top secret product rumored to involve Dell. They've got baseball, hockey, over 120 channels of music, Opie and Anthony (who, IMO, are fantastic), Bob Edwards, and Air America.

I am extremely excited to see the NHL and XM become long term partners...now, I go play monster rain with Jimmy Robinson.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
as a sirius salesman i am not happy that we didnt get hockey

but i am happy that we have them 05-06 and 06-07

then we get nascar

nhl signed for littlemoney 10 mil a yr is chump change

as we all knw nhl makes bad business decision all the time

e.g espn bad coverage

hello columbus vs pho and goodbye nyr vs philly ortor vs ott

I myself wouldnt be surprised if you saw sirius partner up with a an existening broadcaster to simucast games

also wouldnt be surprised to see talk shows and chat 24 7 invovling nhl mlb and nanother for nba to go along with the nfl chn

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Chuck Shick said:
Not a chance..Stern has not done a true radio show in the last 5 years...he has mailed it in. Also Artie Lange will not be making the move with Stern when he moves to Sirius which would be the only reason to go with Sirius. Check the public info on both companies...Sirius has 1.8 million subscibers while XM has almost 5 million. Stern will not close that 3.2 million gap, he'll be lucky to pull 500,000 at best.

sirius hit 2 mil long ago

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
CarolinaCapsFan said:
I've had XM for years now and I have to say that this is wonderful news. Every hockey match, no blackouts, no extra fees. I can't wait.

As for the Sirius vs XM debate. XM has better musical programming, more and better exclusives (the MLB thing is very popular) and in my opinion has better equipment (the Roady and MyFi are both masterpieces of design). As for Howard Stern I could care less, the guy hasn't been revelent for years...

In terms of music, I'd say they're about even. Each has a couple stations of a certain type that the other doesn't. Not enough to really set one apart from the other though (maybe some people have an absolutely favorite channel they don't want to lose, but that could go either way). If you go only by music, they're basically interchangeable.

In other programming and exclusives, XM looks to have the edge. At least in terms of drawing a larger audience, which is obviously what you should be striving to do. In terms of technology, XM definitely has the edge.

I've heard them both a decent amount, on someone else's dime of course. I don't listen to radio programming nearly enough to justify subscribing on my own. What I'd want out of it (personally), I can basically get now. The Sirius music channels are already on Dish Network, and I'll shell out $130 for Center Ice. That pretty much covers it for me.

If I get the itch to listen to talk radio, I'll just go beat myself in the head with a hammer repeatedly (same effect).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
pld459666 said:
Stern has been pretty much muzzeled for the last 5 years while O&A have built their reputations, now that Howard is going to be able to actually let his vision free, the 3.2 million in subscribers will be made up in a heartbeat.

If howard brings in 1 million subscribers(not 3.2), that will more then make his contract worth while. The way i look at it Howie will probably bring in 1.5 million subscribers(give or take 500,000) specifically for him. But with all the pushing and media coverage he gets, it will also give Sirius more name recognition when people are looking for Satilite radio in the next 5 years

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Anthony said:
please

dont act like youre the cfo of sirius

I'm not, I'm just stating facts. Being that I am an XM subscriber I would know something.

boredmale said:
If howard brings in 1 million subscribers(not 3.2), that will more then make his contract worth while. The way i look at it Howie will probably bring in 1.5 million subscribers(give or take 500,000) specifically for him. But with all the pushing and media coverage he gets, it will also give Sirius more name recognition when people are looking for Satilite radio in the next 5 years

XM and Sirius won't even make $500M combined over the next 5 years let alone Howie doing it for Sirius alone. XM only recently started to turn a profit while Sirius is still far behind.

dem said:

Is that why stations on terrestrial radio dropped his program? If he was just a huge name who bring in ratings these stations would keep him around.

Don't forget this impact this will have in Canada, who just gave liscences to XM to broadcast up there.

Last edited:

Flyers26

Mar 1, 2002
We must accept disap
Visit site
pld459666 said:
O&A

Not sure that I find them funny at all.

I also think that Jackie the Jokeman was a pathetic charachter on Stern and while I like Artie, as sidekicks go, he's alright, but he's not the reason I listen.

And to be honest, he should go back to boozing, he's alot more funnier when he's working with a hangover.

just an opinion.
Jackie wrote all of Stern's one liners he used. He has sucked since Jackie left.
Stern muzzled? What do you called being off the air for over 2 yrs, like O&A where?
Stern behind closed doors, constantly ran to Mel, to threaten O&A, when they both worked for Infinity. O&A where not allowed to mention anything about Hoo-Hoo.
Stern's a tool, who's show has been unlistenable for the past 10 yrs.
O&A are handing out 5 "golden Tickets", taking DJ's off commercial air, and getting them to XM. They got Ron & Fez, and have 4 more. Amazingly, Hoo-Hoo just announced he's doing the same! :eek: The guy's a tool, who hasn't had an original idea since the 80's.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If Jackie was such the funny guy

Flyers26 said:
Jackie wrote all of Stern's one liners he used. He has sucked since Jackie left.
Stern muzzled? What do you called being off the air for over 2 yrs, like O&A where?
Stern behind closed doors, constantly ran to Mel, to threaten O&A, when they both worked for Infinity. O&A where not allowed to mention anything about Hoo-Hoo.
Stern's a tool, who's show has been unlistenable for the past 10 yrs.
O&A are handing out 5 "golden Tickets", taking DJ's off commercial air, and getting them to XM. They got Ron & Fez, and have 4 more. Amazingly, Hoo-Hoo just announced he's doing the same! :eek: The guy's a tool, who hasn't had an original idea since the 80's.

and hie writing is what made the Stern show work, then why has the guy not done ANYTHING of note since he left?

One has to wonder!

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So, for example, I live in Denmark, only get to listen to NHL games, well 99% of the time, anyways. Would local stations still be allowed to webcast? (i.e. would 630CHED still be allowed to webcast Oilers games, once XM takes over?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad