Helenius vs. Bernier

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Tampa won't be taking a goalie at 15. They have 4 good goalie prospects, 3 of which are under contract and will be in North America playing in the AHL/ECHL this year. Karri Ramo is quoted as being a "stud with starter potential" and will be playing in the AHL this season. Vasily Koshechkin was the 2nd best goalie in the Russian league this year with 10 shutouts and insane numbers, and he's only 21 or 22 years old. Jonathan Boutin and Gerald Coleman already have a year of pro experience and will still be around this year...theres no reason to use their 15th overall pick (if they don't trade it) on a goalie. My money is on an offensive D-man or one of the better forwards who slips into the 15 range.

But I guess to answer your question as to who Tampa would choose between Bernier and Helenius, it'd almost definitely be Helenius. Tampa has a history of, or even a fetish, for drafting/signing BIG goalies. Helenius fits that mold at 6'3, Bernier doesn't at 5'11.

Last edited:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Bernier he is the safiest pick out of the two right now. I think he can be easier to determine if he's an NHL starter or not with playing in the Q. I agree with everybody that Helenius is rising but what talent has he played against? He mostly played in Finish Juniors. Only one game at the U20's. Yes 1.83 GAA and 6 wins at the U18's is impressive but when he faced the USA who he let three in. He had two other 3 goal games in there to. Sure Bernier had blunders over the course of the year to but he was able to comeback and stay composed. It seems people like to focus on one event to determine a guy's fate. Bernier had a bad Top Prospects games everybody says stay away from him. Helenius has a impressive U-18's he is the number one choice. We haven't seen how Helenius reacts after a bad goal or losing streak.
How come I've haven't seen posts about him last September. Any goalie can get hot but only special ones can do that a course of their careers. Let's see how Helenius does against the top talent in the SM-liga and see if he can put U18's numbers at the U20's when every countries top junior players talent is there.

Bryzga lol*

I'm now a believer in the Finnish goalie program now, so I have high hopes for Helenius.

But overall, it's a weak year for goaltenders. If I was looking for more goaltending depth, I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a goalie, maybe a very late first round pick (25 to 30) if Bernier or Helenius is availible. I'd make a second round goalie pick, and wait and hope that next year's goalie propects will be more impressive.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
People are saying Helenius because Bernier is overrated, yet seeing Helenius mentioned as a possible 15th overall shows how terribly overrated he is. I wouldn't be surprized if he goes in the late second or third round.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Riel said:
I'm now a believer in the Finnish goalie program now, so I have high hopes for Helenius.

But overall, it's a weak year for goaltenders. If I was looking for more goaltending depth, I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a goalie, maybe a very late first round pick (25 to 30) if Bernier or Helenius is availible. I'd make a second round goalie pick, and wait and hope that next year's goalie propects will be more impressive.

It's not a weak year for goaltenders at all! It's a year that lacks a top 10 pick type goalie prospect, but there are several quality potential starters that will go in the first three rounds. At least five or six with NHL starting potential.

Bernier
Irving
Daniels
Enroth
Varlamov
Zatkoff
Palmer
Helenius

etc, etc.

Lots of good goalies to choose from.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Riel said:

I also like the Finnish goalie program it's the new Quebec for goalie prospects. Helenius I think will come along with playing at a higher level.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
:lol: I'm eating crow on this one, good call from 44_bertuzzi_44. To me, Helenius is a bit 'off the board' but it's widely know that opinions on this guy are very different, so it looks like me and the TBay staff are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad