Hedman vs Makar

• Hedman

Votes: 74 42.0%
  • Makar

Votes: 102 58.0%

• Total voters

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
Makar is good but this just proves people like the shiny new toy.

I’ll still take Hedman although its still to early to compare him to Hedman.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Makar would have been chosen over both, his run was the best run from a defenceman in a long time.

Wasn't both the Tampa series and the St Louis series kind of meh? He completely dominated against Nashville and Edmonton though, that's true.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Wasn't both the Tampa series and the St Louis series kind of meh? He completely dominated against Nashville and Edmonton though, that's true.
Not meh but they weren’t as otherworldly as the the other two based on the counting stats. Excluding the Edmonton and Nashville series he had 10 points in the 12 games against St Louis and Tampa. Even taking away his two best offensive series he posted offensive stats (0.83 ppg) similar to Hedman for his entire Conn Smythe run (0.88 ppg).

He also posted amazing defensive and offensive metrics against both St Louis and Tampa. Against St Louis for example he led the series in scoring chances generated for either team and against Tampa he generated 28 (!) more scoring chances than any Tampa player did.

Looking through his stats I found that he never even had one game where the other team produced more scoring chances than he did while he was on the ice. We truly just witnessed one of the best playoff seasons from a defenceman in decades.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if this poll would’ve been different if Makar had played a few extra games in 20-21. Calder->Norris->Norris would’ve been a pretty strong start to a career and injury is the lone reason he didn’t do it.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Hedman because I define prime as a longer period(say 5-10 years) and Hedman has showed incredible concistency, Makar might match(or surpass) it but it's far from a given and they are close in capability either way. For peak I might already choose Makar.

Makar has already peaked higher than Hedman IMO

Ok but the thread is about prime not peak.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Makar doesn't really have a prime yet. That's why I mentioned that.
You kinda have to either default to Hedman, or go by peak.
Or you have to try and guess if Makar will be able to keep it up for another 5(arguably 10) years which admittedly is a hard task but it's not fair using Hedmans durability and consistency against him when peak is so close either way(in my opinion that is).

I mean Leetch for example might, arguably, have peaked higher than Bourque but still nobody would rank him ahead.

But thread is premature indeed as usual.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad