Hedman vs Dahlin

who will be better

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They're pretty similar as prospects and the level they played @ in the Swedish Elite League and lower levels in Sweden, edge probably goes to Dahlin for how dynamic offensively he is.

But no one knows how good RD will be in the NHL yet.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i think they likely both end up with similar careers, but it's better to err on the side of caution until Dahlin can prove it in the NHL

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
They're pretty similar as prospects and the level they played @ in the Swedish Elite League and lower levels in Sweden, edge probably goes to Dahlin for how dynamic offensively he is.

But no one knows how good RD will be in the NHL yet.

No, their D-1 seasons wasnt all too similar. Hedman had a lot better support in Modo than Dahlin had in Frölunda.
Hedman was a tad older, didn't play as good and had a better team around him. Not very similar as prospects either - Hedman had a ton of hyped based on how well be moves and is able to play while being as big as he is. Dahlins selling point is more being a freakishly good transition+offensive defenseman and skater while being far above average defensively considering his age. Dahlin wont be some kind of lightweight himself but hardly as enormous as Hedman.

But to answer the poll: I want to see Dahlin in the NHL before I make a prediction. If he lives up to the hype he will be better, but not many players do after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I think the answer has the third one at this point. Dahlin appears to be more well regarded at this point in his development than Hedman was at the same stage, but its not by a ridiculous amount. So if both meet expectations, its probably Dahlin, but Hedman is one of the best D in the NHL - thats a tall order even for the best of prospects.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Dahlin is the slightly better prospect but you have to go with option 1 or 3 here. Dahlin could be better, no doubt. But Hedman is currently a top 3 Dman in the world. Nothing to take lightly.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
What's sad is that I would have voted "Haven't seen enough of Dahlin" a few weeks ago, but I was not impressed with Hedman in the last round. He'll probably still win the Norris though, which is a pretty awesome consolation prize.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What's sad is that I would have voted "Haven't seen enough of Dahlin" a few weeks ago, but I was not impressed with Hedman in the last round. He'll probably still win the Norris though, which is a pretty awesome consolation prize.
That makes sense. Take a 7 game sample size and extrapolate it over a 600+ game career.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Haven’t seen any of Dahlin so no idea. He has the potential to be great, but will playing in Buffalo hinder is development? Idk...Hedman came in to a good situation.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
That makes sense. Take a 7 game sample size and extrapolate it over a 600+ game career.

I agree that it's kind of sad. What I'm doing is extrapolating that what experts have seen with Dahlin and his potential, gives him more game-changing ability in the future than Hedman. I know that Washington was playing really hard for Ovechkin, but I really felt that Hedman leading the D-corps for Tampa would make the difference here. I thought he would make it very difficult to next-to-impossible for Washington to score. He is in his peak/prime years as a defenseman. He had too many letdowns. I expect Rasmus Dahlin to do better in the moment when his time comes (more like Karlsson in last year's playoffs).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Haven’t seen any of Dahlin so no idea. He has the potential to be great, but will playing in Buffalo hinder is development? Idk...Hedman came in to a good situation.
Hedman came into the worst run organization in professional sports. It's a good situation now, but look at Tampa in 2009-10 and tell me that's a good situation.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Just not that impressed with Hedman. Hard to say what Dahlin will be.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree that it's kind of sad. What I'm doing is extrapolating that what experts have seen with Dahlin and his potential, gives him more game-changing ability in the future than Hedman. I know that Washington was playing really hard for Ovechkin, but I really felt that Hedman leading the D-corps for Tampa would make the difference here. I thought he would make it very difficult to next-to-impossible for Washington to score. He is in his peak/prime years as a defenseman. He had too many letdowns. I expect Rasmus Dahlin to do better in the moment when his time comes (more like Karlsson in last year's playoffs).

Or like Hedman in the 2015/2016 playoffs but you know you don't watch and all..

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Clearly it's Dahlin>>>>Hedman. He hasn't even played an NHL game so he could be as good as Orr!

-HFBoards

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
They are similar in terms of how good they were/are at that age. Dahlin is however a better prospect and it's not close.

God knows how good Dahlin will become but I wouldn't bet against him here.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Way too much risk in projecting Dahlin to be an absolute lock to be a top 3 defender in the NHL for a sustained period of time. He has a good chance to be better, but the odds heavily favor Hedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->