Hearthstone #7 - Knights of the Frozen Throne

void

Jan 5, 2006

Ben Brode's leaving Blizzard. That's a big blow to the company. Even though he wasn't doing as much development anymore he was basically the public figurehead of the game.

I guess even Brode realized that Hearthstone is dying a slow death.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't even bother attempting to play against Cubelocks nowadays. It's just quicker to concede immediately and move on to the next game than it is trying to fight past Voidlords and Cubes, only to have them draw Guldan and you wind up conceding anyway.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Ben Brode's leaving Blizzard. That's a big blow to the company. Even though he wasn't doing as much development anymore he was basically the public figurehead of the game.

That’s a huge loss for Blizzard and Hearthstone. Great personality and charmisa. Their PR department sure won’t be happy.

That said it’s also a big chance to improve on some issues. Balance patches need to happen more often (see Wild mode or Cubelock). Community feedback needs to be heard more often. See Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm. There’s a lot left to improve in HS and outside of expansion releases there hasn’t been much community interaction and game improvement going on.

Hope Ben will show up as a card and in some card reveal streams or something like that. Great guy!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I don't even bother attempting to play against Cubelocks nowadays. It's just quicker to concede immediately and move on to the next game than it is trying to fight past Voidlords and Cubes, only to have them draw Guldan and you wind up conceding anyway.
Try Paladin, Tempo Mage or Rogue or Spiteful Druid or Priest.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Try Paladin, Tempo Mage or Rogue or Spiteful Druid or Priest.

I've tried everything. They've got too much AoE for Paladin and Tempo Rogue and Spiteful Druid/Priest is just a matter of answering their Spiteful pull, which they can do with any number of options.

Tempo Mage could work, but requires Aluneth, which I don't have.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I've tried everything. They've got too much AoE for Paladin and Tempo Rogue and Spiteful Druid/Priest is just a matter of answering their Spiteful pull, which they can do with any number of options.

Aluneth does help but ideally you kill them before turn 6 or 7 anyway. Just chip their health away to finish with Fireballs and direct damage spells off glyphs etc.

This list is pretty strong (but does fare meh against Paladin due to lack of board clear): Apxvoid's Witchwood Aggro Secret Mage ft. Cinderstorm, Lifedrinker - Hearthstone Top Decks

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

I've been having a lot of success with big spell Mage

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hard to argue with the nerfs announced today. I absolutely hate the theme of cheating stuff out early in the game - it's one of the main reasons I've barely played the last two expansions. But these changes go a little ways to negate that at least. I think Warlock could take over the top still with Call to Arms mediocre in both even/odd Paladin at this point.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah good nerfs. I wonder what class / deck comes out on top after it.

I'm thinking Spiteful Druid and Cubelock will still be tops. The difference between 6 and 7 mana doesn't mean much to Druid, and Cubelock can still bust out the ridiculous Doomguard/Cube/Double Doomguard bull.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I doubt either will be tops. The 1 mana increase is pretty darn significant against tempo and aggro decks (and the reduction in healing for Cubelock is as well), and there will always be a significant presence of those decks on ladder. It only takes a swing of a few percentage points to move a deck from the best to middling. Also, the additional mana will make it easier for control decks to answer those combos (namely with Psychic Scream or Twisting Nether).

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Decided to start playing again after the patch, and I finally decided to use my dust on something... that ended up being Spell Hunter. The deck is both fun and crazy good... at least at the low ranks. :laugh: 17-2 so far starting all the way down at rank 20, but still, I've only lost twice to Paladin while going second. Lesser Emerald Spellstone is an insane card - four 3/3 Wolves on T5 is easily achievable without falling behind on the board, thanks to more crazy good cards like Wandering Monster. Then you have the DK and legendary weapon to help out if you need that extra finishing power.

Very good deck, and actually fun to play as well.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think Murloc Paladin is the new #1. Even Shaman and Even Warlock are fun but I'm not sure where they'll fall in the meta.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'm 40 wins away from my golden Priest portrait. But games as Quest Priest, while the deck is super fun, games take for ages. I don't like the old Inner Fire shenanigan decks and Mind Blast combo priest isn't very fun either. Any other legit Priest decks out there?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm 40 wins away from my golden Priest portrait. But games as Quest Priest, while the deck is super fun, games take for ages. I don't like the old Inner Fire shenanigan decks and Mind Blast combo priest isn't very fun either. Any other legit Priest decks out there?

I have a dragon priest deck that's pretty good, I added in Malygos to make it OTK-able

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just played a game in arena at 11-2 where my opponent played an Earthen Might on one of my minions accidentally, instead of on his own elemental on the board. At that point, I'm thinking easy 12 wins. Turns out it was a still a blowout in the other direction when you opponent has stupid decks like this. And this isn't even the whole thing. Perfect answers every time I pushed. I've never drafted a deck that good.

Forked Lightning
Rockbiter Weapon
Bloodmage Thalnos
Dire Wolf Alpha
Earthen Might x2
Igneous Elemental
Lava Burst
Feral Spirit
Lightning Storm
Avalanche
Swift Messenger
Hex x2
Tidal Surge
Volcano
Master of Realities x3
Grumble, Worldshaker
Charged Devilsaur
Primordial Drake

Insane removal, and with triple Master of Realities (played four of them with Grumble), you're guaranteed to win. Sad times.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I love the Magnetic mechanic, but I'm also afraid of it.

Let's hope that they refrain from printing a Magnetic Mech that has a damage dealing Battlecry.
Otherwise they would give Warlock a 9 Mana three card OTK in Wild with Mechwarper and Glinda.

Mechwarper + Glinda already is insane with any sub 6 mana Magnetic Mech.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Cool mechanic, but yeah, I agree, they need to be careful with what they print.

As for the "omega" cards or whatever, they are going to seriously screw up arena. The one card that was a 4 mana 2/6 with a Battlecry of +10 attack if you have 10 mana crystals... that is going to break arena if they don't ban it.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I found this wild deck online the other day, it's really expensive but I only needed to craft Grumble so figured it was worth it:

### Fun Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Earth Shock
# 1x (2) Ancestral Spirit
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 1x (2) Devolve
# 1x (2) Doomsayer
# 1x (2) Maelstrom Portal
# 1x (2) Reincarnate
# 1x (3) Far Sight
# 1x (3) Healing Rain
# 1x (3) Lightning Storm
# 1x (3) Mana Tide Totem
# 1x (3) Mind Control Tech
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Barnes
# 1x (4) Hex
# 1x (4) Saronite Chain Gang
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 1x (5) Elise the Trailblazer
# 1x (5) Feugen
# 1x (5) Loatheb
# 1x (5) Sludge Belcher
# 1x (5) Stalagg
# 1x (5) Volcano
# 1x (6) Emperor Thaurissan
# 1x (6) Grumble, Worldshaker
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 1x (8) Hagatha the Witch
# 1x (9) Shudderwock
# 1x (10) N'Zoth, the Corruptor
#
AAEBAaoIHooBlAOBBPUE3gXtBf4F/wWyBrkNgQ6EDoUOkQ76DtYRwxbgrAKgtgKFuAL2vQLHwQLJwgLPxwKbywKr5wLz5wLD6gKn7gLv9wIAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The early game sucks and you pretty much lose right away to aggro decks but late game is insanely fun. I've had 4 Thaddius on board at once before after I played both Feugen and Stalagg, reincarnate one of them to guarantee the trigger, then N'Zoth, then Shudderwock for a few more. You also get Reno that Shudderwock can trigger with Zola, Grumble, & Saronite Chain Gang. You could potentially get infinite Renos if shudderwock keeps triggering in good order for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->