Healthy Snacks - Suggestions

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Why must you crush my happiness .... ;):cry:
If it makes you feel better, the negative impact of sodium on your health has been pretty overstated. It isn't like artificial sugars where you're better off avoiding it altogether, you actually need a minimum amount of sodium in order to be healthy. If your diet is mostly in check then the sodium from beef jerky isn't going to put you over the edge. The problem is that a lot of people in North America eat almost double the amount of recommended salt, because they are eating almost double the recommended amount of food in general.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
There is no way to cut it. Healthy food snacks absolutely suck. I understand we all chose the healthy lifestyle, but it's ok to admit. If calories and nutrition didn't matter, I'd eat cool ranch Doritos for days.

Sweet Chili Heat

But we need to understand or create a difference between say "snacks" and "treats". A treat should be just that and in no way meant to satiate actual hunger. Massive difference between having 9 chips now and again as a treat to sometimes even treating them like a meal. Or a cookie now and again vs half a box every couple of days.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Found a new healthy favorite snack, Beef Jerky ... yummmmmm

My main go to snack. Gotta get that protein

As for the sodium, who cares? It's sugars that you should be worried about. Salt is needed in the body, and if you workout/drink lots of water it's offsets the high sodium.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Well a bag of jerky usually has like 60% of daily sodium and that's just a snack in between meals. At the very least it'll make you feel bloated.

But yeah, sodium really isn't that bad. I have a feeling I eat very little sodium since I eat fairly clean. What are the side effect of eating too little?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Well a bag of jerky usually has like 60% of daily sodium and that's just a snack in between meals. At the very least it'll make you feel bloated.

But yeah, sodium really isn't that bad. I have a feeling I eat very little sodium since I eat fairly clean. What are the side effect of eating too little?
It would be pretty difficult to eat too little. I think the healthy minimum is about 500 mg, which you should get naturally just in the food that you eat. Even if you're a vegetarian you should still get that amount naturally.

The entire conversation around sodium is interesting just because there is still quite a bit of uncertainty. Lately the conversation has switched away from sodium in general and towards nitrites, which is interesting because nitrites play a very important role in producing food safe processed meats (as well as other foods I'm sure, but this is the industry that I know). Also, if you are trying to limit nitrite intake, don't buy into the whole "no added nitrites" thing like what Maple Leaf here in Canada has going with their Country Naturals or whatever. If you see something like bacon, ham or hot dogs listed as a "natural" product, all they are really doing is substituting in celery extract (which is high in nitrites) for other nitrite sources, which isn't any more healthy for you, and then calling it "natural". There is actually a prescribed minimum level of nitrites for something to be considered bacon or ham.

Some products to look at if you are trying to limit nitrite intake and still want to eat deli meats would be roast beef, chicken, or turkey. All generally actually have no nitrites, mostly because it ruins the colour.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Protein Balls is a good quick snack, make a bunch on rest day and store them in the fridge or freezer.

Its basically peanut butter, rolled oats, honey and some other stuff I can't remember.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It would be pretty difficult to eat too little. I think the healthy minimum is about 500 mg, which you should get naturally just in the food that you eat. Even if you're a vegetarian you should still get that amount naturally.

The entire conversation around sodium is interesting just because there is still quite a bit of uncertainty. Lately the conversation has switched away from sodium in general and towards nitrites, which is interesting because nitrites play a very important role in producing food safe processed meats (as well as other foods I'm sure, but this is the industry that I know). Also, if you are trying to limit nitrite intake, don't buy into the whole "no added nitrites" thing like what Maple Leaf here in Canada has going with their Country Naturals or whatever. If you see something like bacon, ham or hot dogs listed as a "natural" product, all they are really doing is substituting in celery extract (which is high in nitrites) for other nitrite sources, which isn't any more healthy for you, and then calling it "natural". There is actually a prescribed minimum level of nitrites for something to be considered bacon or ham.

Some products to look at if you are trying to limit nitrite intake and still want to eat deli meats would be roast beef, chicken, or turkey. All generally actually have no nitrites, mostly because it ruins the colour.

As a consumer that sort of stuff really tick's me off... its like when they say Orange Juice is all natural, and its not its really just pasteurized liquid with man made vitamin C added.

Its getting to the point where unless you grow it, farm your own meat sources, you really don't know what you are putting in your body.

I like when a company trade marks a phrase like "All- Natural" and then uses it was the name of the product, there is actually nothing all natural about the product at all, its just the trade mark name of the product, like Nike, or Dodge or Sony...

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
As a consumer that sort of stuff really tick's me off... its like when they say Orange Juice is all natural, and its not its really just pasteurized liquid with man made vitamin C added.

Its getting to the point where unless you grow it, farm your own meat sources, you really don't know what you are putting in your body.

I like when a company trade marks a phrase like "All- Natural" and then uses it was the name of the product, there is actually nothing all natural about the product at all, its just the trade mark name of the product, like Nike, or Dodge or Sony...
As someone trying to compete in the meat industry, it is frustrating for me as well. We refuse to advertise products in this way and we've missed opportunities because of it, but it is deceptive and not good business. There is actually a movement in the industry to start labeling products in a more "consumer friendly" way, which is just ******** phrasing to say that they want to rename the chemical compounds added to the product to something that sounds less like a chemical.

I actually didn't know that orange juice, but given what I know about this industry, it isn't surprising at all. There are definitely still local producers of food that you can trust, but they are costly and even then some give into the deceptive marketing in order to try and compete with the big guys.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Been snacking on some fresh black cherries of late. Surprisingly filling, and take a little while to eat with the pit in them. 1 cherry is only 5 calories, and I think 1g of sugar if I'm not mistaken.

Not to mention they have quite a few health benefits. Source of antioxidants, help with sleep, belly bloat, reduce inflammation, and a few others at a quick glance.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Protein ball is great with coconut milk, whey powder (vanilla is the best) and shredded coconut. Use fine coconut in the mix and medium to roll them.

Find consistency that you like but i like to go something like 1.5 part coconut, .5 part coco milk and .750 part whey.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Protein ball is great with coconut milk, whey powder (vanilla is the best) and shredded coconut. Use fine coconut in the mix and medium to roll them.

Find consistency that you like but i like to go something like 1.5 part coconut, .5 part coco milk and .750 part whey.

Sounds like a gut bomb that would feel like it would just sit in your stomach, not digest, and make you constpated.

How many calories is it? 700?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sounds like a gut bomb that would feel like it would just sit in your stomach, not digest, and make you constpated.

How many calories is it? 700?

Well, that's not one protein ball, its many small one. You can make then as you like. Depending on the size, something like 15g of proteins, 10 grams of carbs, 5 of fat for a 30G ball or something like that.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Beef jerky is fine here and there, but I wouldn't make it a staple of my diet.

Also, what granola bars are "good" (not every bar is perfect) for you?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Recently became away of Epic beef jerky bars. The sample pack we bought I think they're all around 130 calories, an 240mg of sodium. Not bad at all. Pretty much just meat and basic seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder etc. The ones we bought have zero sugar, whether it be fake or real. I've had...

lamb with currant and mint - very good
beef with habnero and dried cherries - good
turkey with cranberry and almond (I think?) - pretty good, but very dry

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Recently became away of Epic beef jerky bars. The sample pack we bought I think they're all around 130 calories, an 240mg of sodium. Not bad at all. Pretty much just meat and basic seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder etc. The ones we bought have zero sugar, whether it be fake or real. I've had...

lamb with currant and mint - very good
beef with habnero and dried cherries - good
turkey with cranberry and almond (I think?) - pretty good, but very dry
That is actually really good. Do you know what the serving size was?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Hey dudes. Just tried a new recipe for a healthy snack.

Ripe bananas
All narural peanut butter
Honey
Cinnamon
Pure vanilla extract
Steel cut oats
Coconut flour
Ground almonds
Protein powder (I used vanilla)
Eggs

Quantities depend on how much you want to make. And how much / less "cake-y" you want it.

Taste is pretty good. Nothing unhealthy.

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
Chicken Salad:

Throw in something you can seal and shake:

2 cans Costco Canned Chicken (or similar)
2-3 Tbs of Paleo Mayo (ex: Primal Kitchen brand)
Chopped Onions / Celery
Cayenne and/or Franks Red Hot Seasoning

Mix and shake
Pour into 2oz cups and seal for later.
Throw 1 oz of almonds in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->