OT: Healthy Living 3.0

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Actually vegans are proven to have more protein in their system than non-vegans.
The woo is strong in this post.

Please provide science based evidence to support this ridiculous claim.

He is not putting on 3-4 lb of muscle a month as a natty.
Which is why I said "limited to". It'd require literally living in the gym and having a strict, regulated, and calculated diet, but it is theoretically possible.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The woo is strong in this post.

Please provide science based evidence to support this ridiculous claim.

Which is why I said "limited to". It'd require literally living in the gym and having a strict, regulated, and calculated diet, but it is theoretically possible.

The evidence will all point to the opposite. Hence why almost every vegan on earth supplements their diet with protein additives and iron supplements.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have a friend who is a wrestler.
Like Pro-wrestler. He's also Vegan. These guys take their bodies super seriously because it can make or break them; he takes so much protein supplements to keep up on his protein. He's natty too, which is super hard for him to maintain his physique.

No quick Greek Yogurt and chicken breast hacks for easy protein for him. Lots of Lentil based things.

A truly delicious combination.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Like Pro-wrestler. He's also Vegan. These guys take their bodies super seriously because it can make or break them; he takes so much protein supplements to keep up on his protein. He's natty too, which is super hard for him to maintain his physique.

No quick Greek Yogurt and chicken breast hacks for easy protein for him. Lots of Lentil based things.

Daniel Bryan is vegan...

Confirmed, Volica is friends with Daniel Bryan

also, isn't Austin Aries also vegan? Or is it just that he avoids meats with hormones and such?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Are you talking about precooked or raw? Because considering how much time you need to spend preparing raw chicken breasts so it's safe to consume, it's actually quicker to make split lentils. Real Canadian Superstore Lentils also contain 27grams of protein per 100 grams, while chicken breasts contain only 20-25 grams.

Reactions: Dertell

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The evidence will all point to the opposite. Hence why almost every vegan on earth supplements their diet with protein additives and iron supplements.

I don't, and vegans only supplement protein if they're fitness gurus, and newsflash so do omnivores (And I've never heard of a carnivore being a bodybuilder). Some vegans supplement iron because non-heme iron is generally harder to absorb than heme iron, but non-heme iron becomes much easier to absorb if you take Vitamin C along with it, that's why I eat broccoli and lentils together and I feel great. Besides, there's more iron in lentils than any kind of meats of the same weight, just lentils are non-heme so without Vitamin C they are slightly more difficult to absorb. It's impossible for a person on a standard 2,000 calorie diet to be protein deficient if they're sedentary, even if they're vegan. Even if you eat only broccoli for your entire 2,000 calorie diet, you'd still get more than enough protein. The only required nutrient vegans can't get naturally Vitamin B12, which even then in today's society is actually fed to most livestock since what they eat don't contain the bacteria that forms B12. It's much easier and cheaper to just take one B12 pill a day.

Reactions: Dertell

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Are you talking about precooked or raw? Because considering how much time you need to spend preparing raw chicken breasts so it's safe to consume, it's actually quicker to make split lentils. Real Canadian Superstore Lentils also contain 27grams of protein per 100 grams, while chicken breasts contain only 20-25 grams.

20 minutes is a long time?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
20 minutes is a long time?

split lentils can be prepared in 5 minutes, so whether or not 20 minutes is long is moot at this point. Also although none of you mentioned cost, in case anyone does, red lentils at a Toronto RCSS cost 0.84 cents per 100 grams of protein. Chicken breasts cost 5.65 bucks. If you're on a budget lentils is a perfect source of not just protein, but also fiber (Which no animal products contain), a ton more iron, magnesium, manganese, etc. Also contains most B vitamins, copper, selenium, and zinc.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sounds like some of ya'll need some insta-pot into your lives.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I don't, and vegans only supplement protein if they're fitness gurus, and newsflash so do omnivores (And I've never heard of a carnivore being a bodybuilder).

Well there's your problem. Your generalize too much, thinking everyone is like you, and do not have any evidence to support your claims.

On average, vegans probably eat healthier than other people, but there's some many reasons that explain it more that vegan food being better (level of income, education, living area are the ones I can remember from a National Geographic article; poor people do not have any other choice than cheap fast food). And btw, I'm vegetarian like 99% of the time, meaning I eat meat but really rarely.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Well there's your problem. Your generalize too much, thinking everyone is like you, and do not have any evidence to support your claims.

On average, vegans probably eat healthier than other people, but there's some many reasons that explain it more that vegan food being better (level of income, education, living area are the ones I can remember from a National Geographic article; poor people do not have any other choice than cheap fast food). And btw, I'm vegetarian like 99% of the time, meaning I eat meat but really rarely.
but boy did you love them ribs :laugh:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
how was it? I have never had a burger there. I figure if I make it once a year I might as well go big :laugh:

It was ok, a bit dry maybe but I didn't put any sauce in there which might have helped. Definitely better than the $20 burger I had at the airport bar

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Meh I prefer my grill over the instapot. Same amount of time and way better chicken

An instapot would obliterate chicken IMO. But you'd be struggling hardcore to make lentils as quickly on a BBQ IMO. Chicken made on anything other than a grill or oven often ends up weird...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
An instapot would obliterate chicken IMO. But you'd be struggling hardcore to make lentils as quickly on a BBQ IMO. Chicken made on anything other than a grill or oven often ends up weird...

I do most of my chicken on top of my range.
Cast Iron pan, Chicken, Spices.... delicious.

I'm an above average cook; and I really enjoy cooking. I don't particularly like InstaPots (I know some people live by them); there's just not a lot of feel to cooking when using them.

As for Vegan/Vegetarian/Omnivore type diets; none to me is better than the other and depends solely on the person's personal preference and choices. A healthy meat-inclusive diet has the same health benefits as a fully Vegan diet. A Vegan diet can include pounding down Oreo's and baking sheet 'Vegan' Chicken fingers, which to me is absurd (I've known two females who've put on significant weight after going Vegan). Lazy food is lazy food.

My recommendation to everyone is to eat less meat, but to make sure that the meat you eat is of a better cut and prepared well. I.E, you don't need meat every meal of the day; but when you do eat it, make sure it's of a nice cut of pork, beef, chicken, lamb, etc. Quality meat goes a long way; it also made me appreciate and love food more than I already do. Instead of growing up and eating meat 2/3 meals a day, 1 of which was some overcooked cheap pork, or poorly made lamb, I normally have meat once a day, or every couple days. The meat is cooked perfectly and tasty.

Food's an experience, enjoy.

Reactions: Cyrano and Kahvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->