He said, he said. So who is lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
pepty said:
My first post - Hi all

I have been somewhat pro PA in all this until now.The NHL response to the PA offers have too often been insulting(such as to the 24 %rollback)and even the last offer was presented in a surly take it or leave it way. It looked as though they were not really keen on making a negotiated settlement.

In this case however it looks like both Tuesday night and Saturday,the League was signalling that they would consider an agreement at the 44-46 cap level and were stunned that the PA didn't make such an offer.

At that time the players were in shock over the PA agreement to accept a salary cap at any level.It was becoming clearer to them that this agreement could have been reached a long time ago without them losing so much money with their no-cap posturing.Some of them were quoted questioning Goodenow's leadership and last minute deadline negotiationg tactics. It seemed clear that his game of poker had blown up in his face and cost the players dearly.

So this last charade looks like a stunt to shore up Gododenow's postion in the PA and to demonstrate that they were never really that close and that the league didn't want to negotiate;therefore a deal could not have been reached months ago and all that money had not been lost for nothing.The tactic seems to have worked as all his little charges have fallen into line.
Welcome aboard. Good theory too -- What people still fail to realize is that Gary Bettman never said he would negotiate. He was only going to talk deals and sign papers. This is your first sign of NHLPA lying.

The 8 teams sabotage is hearsay. I have yet to read a single news report that says any owner came in to block this deal. All i've read is that some owners were unhappy that Gary was stepping out to get this deal done. I'd like to file that under another "NHLPA saves humanity" rumor that was planted by them. Even looking at the meetings, not one single owner was there outside of Gretz and Mario.. and looking at the Pens' dire straits, it would be inconcievable that Mario would sabotage this.

Bar none - The NHLPA walked the NHL into a trap and slayed this deal.

JFPIV

May 18, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Based on what Gretzky said about his understanding of what was to happen this past weekend, and how things played out. This latest disaster should be laid squarely at the feet of the NHLPA!

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Neither is lying. Though I believe Goodenow has plausible deniability. Goodenow says that none of this was done by the NHLPA. That could, if taken in a certain way, exclude anyone not on the executive committee.

In any case, I do believe Gretzky was set up somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad