Ukraine: HC Donbas

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Support is low for both the government and the anti-government. The east is lethargic, they have no will to split or revolt. If the government falls, some communists might moan about it but the people will just carry on as they always have.

Kharkiv is showing mobilization, as is Dnipropetrovsk. Donetsk and Luhansk are the only eastern oblasts that have stayed relatively quiet.

Also, a split would mean civil war, of which Donetsk could never forcefully pull off.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Also you have to look at it from the perspective from the oligarchs. A 'Donbass Republic' would be financial ruin for Akhmetov (and in turn, Kolesnykov). As it currently stands, Donetsk and Luhansk are big money drains in the country. Without state funds, they'd be broke.

zona-proedaniya-big.gif

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
What's not...

Well, connected with the Donetsk mafia's dirty money, so in the case of regime change it may dry up in an audit. After the Orange Revolution, for example, Akhmetov was exiled from the country and thrown under a slew of investigations.

then agian, Shakhtar didn't fold in 2004 - they got better - so here's keeping my fingers crossed.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Akhmetov is actually involved with the mafia; Poroshenko and Pinchuk are just oligarchs (crooks, but aren't associated with gang wars and organized crime, at least openly).

But, it's not a matter of who is dirtier (Pinchuk's association to Kuchma says enough), but who could be on the losing end of the stick in this chess game. Akhmetov and Firtash are probably going to be the biggest targets in a system collapse. Kolesnikov being in that camp and an MP for Regions wont help.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Well it's over. Now the question is what'll happen to Kolesnikov's income. The entire Donbas region should, if that economic data is to be an indicator, receive huge cuts in state subsidies in the coming months as the new government gets its books in order.

If he doesn't get elected in the new parliamentaries, it's possible they prosecute him. At the very least they may audit him with all the document's they've uncovered from Yanukovych's residences

Last edited by a moderator:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Please keep this thread about HC Donbas. If you want to comment on the current events in Ukraine, you can do it on the politic board.

Thanks.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Will Donbass play in Donetsk next round of play-off ? Is it even possible ???

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
It's still possible that they'll play the upcoming games at home as well, the final decision will be made only after the matches in Prague.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I have a feeling that there will be no Donbass next season, likely all Ukrainian sports will be getting cuts, DK, Shakter. They will be probably considered too much of expenditures in these times.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I have a feeling that there will be no Donbass next season, likely all Ukrainian sports will be getting cuts, DK, Shakter. They will be probably considered too much of expenditures in these times.

All these clubs are still Oligarch play things.

As long as the owner isn't run off to Belarus (like Metalist Kharkiv's owner) or arrested in Austria (like Tavriya), then these oligarchs will still need to be funding these teams as sort of political giveback.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I fully expect subsidies to Donetsk to dwindle and tend to believe guys like Kolesnikov benefited heavily from graft on these funds. We'll see, of course.

Akhmetov is backing Dobkin in the presidential elections, which isn't a good sign.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I fully expect subsidies to Donetsk to dwindle and tend to believe guys like Kolesnikov benefited heavily from graft on these funds. We'll see, of course.

Akhmetov is backing Dobkin in the presidential elections, which isn't a good sign.

Akhmetov has always done well to stay out of politics. He's a pretty adroit business man. While I'd love to believe that corruption and graft are going to be washed away in this new bright era of Ukrainian political revolution, history and cynicism tell me that it's unlikely. As they say, the Czars of Donetsk will still need to give the peasants bread and entertainment.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Akhmetov has always done well to stay out of politics. He's a pretty adroit business man. While I'd love to believe that corruption and graft are going to be washed away in this new bright era of Ukrainian political revolution, history and cynicism tell me that it's unlikely. As they say, the Czars of Donetsk will still need to give the peasants bread and entertainment.

Akhmetov has always been heavily involved in politics. Between funding the POR, being an MP, and bailing out several guys....currently bailing out Dobkin and I think a few others who were arrested

Now he's financially backing Dobkin and the POR again...

History shows Akhmetov sent off into exile in 2005. I see no reason why history won't repeat itself. Especially if Yulia wins the presidency. With Taruta the Donetsk governor and Kolomoisky set up in Dnipro, it may be 'out with the old, in with the old' and the oligarchs will play musical chairs.

Maybe Budivelnik will come back ;)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Akhmetov has always been heavily involved in politics. Between funding the POR, being an MP, and bailing out several guys....currently bailing out Dobkin and I think a few others who were arrested

Now he's financially backing Dobkin and the POR again...

History shows Akhmetov sent off into exile in 2005. I see no reason why history won't repeat itself. Especially if Yulia wins the presidency. With Taruta the Donetsk governor and Kolomoisky set up in Dnipro, it may be 'out with the old, in with the old' and the oligarchs will play musical chairs.

Maybe Budivelnik will come back ;)

The new government in Kiev won't risk upending the current order in Donetsk, at least not with 40,000 Russian tanks 20 minutes away. I suppose you do have one point, if Tymoshenko is reelected she might be crazy enough to do something stupid like that. Then again, she's shown again and again that she is a shrewd political operative. She isn't honest by any stretch of the imagination, probably even more corrupt than Yanukovich just because she's smarter, but because she's smarter, she generally doesn't get caught.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
If they didn't run Akhmetov out last time I'd agree with you, but political persecution of those without parliamentary immunity is commonplace in Ukraine. Akhmetov isn't an MP anymore and is vulnerable to have the book thrown at him again. Dobkin and Kernes are both indicted already...I don't think Russia cares about Donetsk oligarchs all too much IMO.

anyway, HCD news:
http://hcdonbass.com/news/donbass_1/khk_donbass_zaklyuchil_kontrakt_s_pavlom_padakinym/

They signed the WHL prospect Pavlo Padakhin

but it's contingent on them signing Ponikarovsky because it's his dream?

Падакин ждет Поникаровского в "Донбассе"
Украинский нападающий "Калгари Хитмен" Павел Падакин, с которым "Донбасс" вчера достигнул договоренности о подписании контракта, заявил что не намерен приезжать в Донецк пока донецкий клуб не подпишет еще одного украинца Алексея Поникаровского. Молодой форвард родом из Киева объяснил это тем, что с детских лет хотел играть со своим земляком в одной команде.

loppa*

By when will we know if the team will participate next season? As things stand... well... the situation at the moment is not so prospective for seeing KHL games...

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
By when will we know if the team will participate next season? As things stand... well... the situation at the moment is not so prospective for seeing KHL games...

Things are changing everyday. As of now it's impossible to predict what's going to happen.

For what it's worth the Crimean football teams are still playing in the Premier League. There are some rumors of Sevastopol moving the club to southern Ukraine, or both clubs joining the Russian league but who knows. The whole country is a mess right now. No need to try and figure out what the hockey team is going to do by September when there might not be a country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad