OT: HBoards Migration to Xenforo Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
is there a way to manually switch my browser into the mobile mode? I use a shrunken browser at work and it's tough to navigate now
any to manually put my browser into mobile mode like before? i use a minimized browser which makes the site unusable in current form
In Chrome or Firefox, you can inspect (Ctrl+Shift+I) a page. A console opens, then Ctrl+Shift+M to bring up a device toolbar where you can change the page's responsiveness to emulate mobiles and tablets.

How can I hide threads on this board software? I really don't care about NCAA, fantasy football or high school hockey, so I'd prefer to hide those threads.
It looks like, as of right now, that functionality is not available. Things are constantly being tweaked/looked at behind the scenes, so hopefully that's something that gets added.
Yeah, that function's not present currently. There are workarounds using browser extensions. You'd add a line in those for every threadId you want to ignore -- in one of those themes floating around (e.g., li#thread-1234567 { display: none; }) or your filters (e.g., hfboards.mandatory.com##li#thread-1234567). ThreadId's are found right in the URL, as you'll see in your address bar that this is thread 2391611 and you'd just replace the random 1234567 with that.

Are we ever going to get a signifier added on so we know which threads we've replied to when looking at the thread list?
If you watch many threads that you don't reply to, then this workaround won't help much, but otherwise, go: Preferences > Options > Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply... and then you'll see reading glasses where pins and locks appear normally, indicating your watched/reply threads.

Another tip, watch the News & Announcements forum and set it up for alerts on new messages. You won't miss any notes @Buffaloed posts there that way. I'd also recommend watching any forum via alerts where you'd be interested in new threads appearing. Maybe you like voting in every poll or waging small vCash on every event, that's an easy way to stay on top of that. I could've said Trade as an example, but I can see silly proposal and value alerts becoming a nuisance just to stay up to date on confirmations w/links, recognized source info, etc. If they were tied to the prefix, like maybe thread icons should be, then I'd definitely recommend those alerts, but to each their own.

Reactions: BigT2002

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If you watch many threads that you don't reply to, then this workaround won't help much, but otherwise, go: Preferences > Options > Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply... and then you'll see reading glasses where pins and locks appear normally, indicating your watched/reply threads.

Another tip, watch the News & Announcements forum and set it up for alerts on new messages. You won't miss any notes @Buffaloed posts there that way. I'd also recommend watching any forum via alerts where you'd be interested in new threads appearing. Maybe you like voting in every poll or waging small vCash on every event, that's an easy way to stay on top of that. I could've said Trade as an example, but I can see silly proposal and value alerts becoming a nuisance just to stay up to date on confirmations w/links, recognized source info, etc. If they were tied to the prefix, like maybe thread icons should be, then I'd definitely recommend those alerts, but to each their own.
Watching threads etc is nice... but it's also nice to see directly on the forum itself.

Example from another forum using the same tech... they have your avatar imposed over and offset from the thread originators avatar when you've replied to the thread... In this image I have not replied in the top one, but have in the bottom one.

example.JPG

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I keep getting logged off at least once per day despite hitting "keep me logged in". Really annoying.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies (detailed how here) and then restart your browser. It could be something in your cache conflicting as the site's updated.
I cleared the cache yesterday, and I was trying to avoid clearing cookies to avoid having to login on a thousand sites again, but I just tried that. It did not help at all with the Tweets only showing up halfway, so that must be entirely the fault of Adblocker at this point.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
wtf is with this site? it doesnt even show the titles of threads, just a little dot. I cant even find the main nhl board

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I cleared the cache yesterday, and I was trying to avoid clearing cookies to avoid having to login on a thousand sites again, but I just tried that. It did not help at all with the Tweets only showing up halfway, so that must be entirely the fault of Adblocker at this point.
You'll want to send in a support ticket if the session timeouts continue. Detail browser, frequency, and steps already taken. Halved tweet embeds are certainly blocker-related though.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
You'll want to send in a support ticket if the session timeouts continue. Detail browser, frequency, and steps already taken. Halved tweet embeds are certainly blocker-related though.

@Woodhouse, please tell me Crave is paying you for all this support? ;)

wtf is with this site? it doesnt even show the titles of threads, just a little dot. I cant even find the main nhl board

Might be one of your settings... I'm definitely able to see thread titles. Are you talking desktop or mobile?

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah that's bizarre, I've never had that issue.

Does it have something to do with a Chrome extension, something that alters the view of the page? (like that user-made one that turned the site to a dark theme)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@123TripleDoge That looks almost as if hyperlinks were styled to a white color. Was the text there if you tried to highlight it or were the elements simply missing as if they were weirdly ad-blocked or something?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I paid the $12 for the year. I just hope it makes the site usable for me now.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Disabling Javascript has made the site lightning fast for me. The only problem is that Tweets don't load, as long as a few other things probably. Still, probably worth it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Random question:

In the past around the TDL, draft, and opening day of UFA the old boards took away avatars and some other board options. Is that going to happen again with these new forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad