Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jimmy Hayes LW 6-3 200 U.S. U-18

Steven Stamkos- C 6-0 170 Sarnia (OHL)

I think these are the two best offensive players in the 2008 draft so far, just wondering who you guys think will go higher in the draft, and who will be a better player in the NHL???

Stamkos seems to be the early fav for #1, but Hayes has turned it on this year and has made a steady climb to the top. Hayes has already been compared to James Van Riemsdyk, and some say he is already better then JVR is right now...

Stamkos is an elite offensive player who has Yzerman/Sakic type skills. Both will be very touted come draft day, both are different types of forwards, but who will be the better player???

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
hayes is playing at Boston College I believe next year-- every article I've read they make it a point of fact that he has loved BC since he was a kid and will go there

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Jimmy Hayes is scheduled for BC '08. I heard his choices are going back to Nobles (bad idea), USHL (Columbus), or the QMJHL (Moncton). My guess is he heads to the USHL.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Other guy who could challenge for top10 from the Q are (forward) patrice cormier (rimouski) chris doyle (pei) i like both they are top15 in my book and with a great year could challenge for top10

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Stamkos made turris,esposito and co look like 15 years old compared to him at the u-18 tournament.
He will be a franchise player and he's a lock for spot #1 unless he regress which I doubt.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Stamkos seems to be a sure-fire prospect, I would say his odds of going #1 are extremely high. Some guys I like from the WHL offensively are the obvious Mitch Wahl, but also Kyle Beach and Jordan Eberle - all 3 could be top 10 picks if they have strong enough seasons next year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Stamkos seems to be a sure-fire prospect, I would say his odds of going #1 are extremely high. Some guys I like from the WHL offensively are the obvious Mitch Wahl, but also Kyle Beach and Jordan Eberle - all 3 could be top 10 picks if they have strong enough seasons next year.

I have heard a lot about Wahl, who can you compare him too???? Is he in the league as Stamkos and Hayes??

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
I haven't seen Hayes, but I do have trouble thinking there is another 08 prospect better than Stamkos. Stamkos is easily the best draft eligible prospect in the ohl since Joe Thornton, and I'd be surprised if there were very many underage players from any age group with more potential than him.

saying he's up there with Tavares in potential isn't a strech, considering he's better than Tavares in quite a few areas of the game, and where Tavares dominates (goal scoring ablity, vision), Stamkos is right up there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I haven't seen Hayes, but I do have trouble thinking there is another 08 prospect better than Stamkos. Stamkos is easily the best draft eligible prospect in the ohl since Joe Thornton, and I'd be surprised if there were very many underage players from any age group with more potential than him.

saying he's up there with Tavares in potential isn't a strech, considering he's better than Tavares in quite a few areas of the game, and where Tavares dominates (goal scoring ablity, vision), Stamkos is right up there.

I completely understand, but who would have said last year that Pat Kane and JVR were ranked 1 & 2 respectively for this years draft by most scouting services?? Anything can happen in a year, just tell that to Esposito.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
What was the story with Hayes at the U18 wjc's? He only had 3 points and 5 shots in 7 games. His stats actually really started to trail off in the last few months of the NTDP season. Perhaps he was just tired as he had only played a much shorter prep school schedule before this year?

That said, Colin Wilson seemed to have a big U18. Where does he fit in next year?

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
I completely understand, but who would have said last year that Pat Kane and JVR were ranked 1 & 2 respectively for this years draft by most scouting services?? Anything can happen in a year, just tell that to Esposito.
of course it could happen. it would just be surprising to me if it did, though i do understand things always change. (i'll admit it wasnt too long ago I thought 3 or 4 other 08 guys from the ohl were all better than Stamkos) I just think it would be very surprising if he did fall, though it would say alot about the draft class if Stamkos wasn't one of the 3 or 4 top prospects.

and I know you didn't mean Stamkos will fall like Esposito, but Stamkos has no hints of falling down the rankings since there are no question marks. Espo had his hockey sense seriously questioned last year, it didnt improve, he fell. Stamkos could almost completely stop progressing and would still be a top pick, since he does everything insanely well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
of course it could happen. it would just be surprising to me if it did, though i do understand things always change. (i'll admit it wasnt too long ago I thought 3 or 4 other 08 guys from the ohl were all better than Stamkos) I just think it would be very surprising if he did fall, though it would say alot about the draft class if Stamkos wasn't one of the 3 or 4 top prospects.

and I know you didn't mean Stamkos will fall like Esposito, but Stamkos has no hints of falling down the rankings since there are no question marks. Espo had his hockey sense seriously questioned last year, it didnt improve, he fell. Stamkos could almost completely stop progressing and would still be a top pick, since he does everything insanely well.

I havent seen enough of Stamkos to suggest either way he could go, but I agree that he seems more stable then Espo did. The name Mitch Wahl was a forgotten one by me for this post, I would really love to hear some WHL peoples opinion on this kid. From what I have heard he is a pretty special talent who should go no lower then #15 next season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, God ****ing forbid I share an opinion I have.

I like your posts. You know alot about American hockey prospects, and those are my favorite kind. This morning I was considering asking you to do a top ten '07 eligable Americans list for me. I went on the prospects board to click on your name to PM you and I saw that you had already posted a top 15. Having said that, we all knew who you were going to choose in this poll.:) I just thought FTFs post was clever. That's all.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
dont be surprised if hayes signs with moncton. theyll make him a great offer. hes not going back to prep school. he doesnt want to play for columbus either. so if hes going to play in he ushl they will have to trade him. the q is the most logical choice for him given his age, draft ranking and the fact that moncton has the ability to lure american prospects there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
dont be surprised if hayes signs with moncton. theyll make him a great offer. hes not going back to prep school. he doesnt want to play for columbus either. so if hes going to play in he ushl they will have to trade him. the q is the most logical choice for him given his age, draft ranking and the fact that moncton has the ability to lure american prospects there.

I looked at the Quebec League draft, and I did not see Hayes on it at all...infact I didnt see many Americans at all, unless I was looking at something wrong. Was Hayes previously drafted by Moncton?? I dont know if the Q is the best route anymore, I felt it really didnt help Adam Pineault that much as he was touted as a top 5 pick at one point. USHL is a pretty good league, either way I wouldnt care where he wound up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->