GDT: Hawks vs Preds: 7:30PM CT on WGN--What Are The Rules?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
tumblr_oxs52wNIhH1w8vvh3o1_540.gif

Due to a recent occurrence involving the rules, I thought it'd be nice to have a GDT dedicated to the official NHL rulebook. Only one problem, it's really freakin' long. Like 229 pages long. Yet not one of those rules can clearly say whether a player who deflects the puck off his skate and into said players defensive zone from a pass by a teammate that was made in that players offensive zone is offside or not. Sure, it's a mouth full. And sure, it's slightly confusing to explain. And okay, fine, it's pretty freakin' rare.

But in a book with 229 pages? How the f*** is that not in there?

Feel free to read through the official 17-18 rulebook yourself. Note: may cause depression and the runs. Staring too long could also make your face melt off. It's not instantaneous like the ark of the covenant, but stare at it too long and it'll have a similar effect.​

Last edited:

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Put that Wild game behind them

Kick some Pred butt

Lets go Hawks

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I want to see the quick hockey we witnessed in game 1 and 2. Surely, the loss of one player can't make that much of a difference.

If we see the same plodding team again tonight, it's time to look to RFD to inject some life.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If Schmaltz is still out then the lines need shuffling.

Get Cat up there with Kane.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Can't rush this. I'm pretty sure this is his (Schmaltz) second concussion in 6 months. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't play against the Blues either (although I would think he suits up).

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
According to Laz, looks like Schmaltz is out again tonight. Damn.
I don't like making assumptions, but it's never stopped me before. IF Schmaltz was concussed, what the heck was the Hawks medical staff doing letting him back on the ice against CBUS?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Schmaltz is still out then the lines need shuffling.

Get Cat up there with Kane.
Kero's playing 2C in practice. Which Kero might not be a good player in your eyes, but he is fast. Hartman's goal the other night was with Kero and Kane.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Kero's playing 2C in practice. Which Kero might not be a good player in your eyes, but he is fast. Hartman's goal the other night was with Kero and Kane.

I agree he's fast and I know he was on the ice for the Kane line's goal last night.

I don't think he's a particularly good playmaker though, and as much as I like speed where-ever I can get it, I think the problem that line is having is a redundancy of skillset on the LW and C positions. Kero makes the line faster, but doesn't really help them do much more with the puck.

But we'll see what happens.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I agree he's fast and I know he was on the ice for the Kane line's goal last night.

I don't think he's a particularly good playmaker though, and as much as I like speed where-ever I can get it, I think the problem that line is having is a redundancy of skillset on the LW and C positions. Kero makes the line faster, but doesn't really help them do much more with the puck.

But we'll see what happens.

I think it's two problems. One being redundancy with having two guys fighting for position near the blue paint (which you've already mentioned). The other is speed. Even with Kane, that line has had a difficult time gaining the zone. It's looked like defenders would keep a strong focus on Kane through the neutral zone, and neither Hartman or Anisimov could blast past fast enough. Adding speedy Kero can help push the defense back a bit more, and keep Kane from feeling smothered.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Murphy a healthy scratch again.

I maintain my dislike of that trade.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He hasn't even looked bad to me. Has he looked like a top pairing defensemen? No. But he's been perfectly fine.

Is it possible he could be nursing an injury this early in the season?

Message sending by Q when the games don't matter?

I agree he hasn't been aggressively terrible the way Seabrook has the last two games. Just kinda.... there.

Which is fine for a #4D, though somewhat disappointing given what was given up in the trade (and yes, I understand the arguements as far as long-term cost security and projections of Hammer's decline...he was still gonna be a #2 Dman for a year or two at least).

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
...Though he does have the lowest possession on the team among all Dmen. So it could be Q is looking at that, or similar stats and sees the kid is getting caved in at even strength.

The only players worse than him on the team are Kane, Anisimov and Hartman, and I can't see any of them sitting.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Is it possible he could be nursing an injury this early in the season?

Message sending by Q when the games don't matter?

I agree he hasn't been aggressively terrible the way Seabrook has the last two games. Just kinda.... there.

Which is fine for a #4D, though somewhat disappointing given what was given up in the trade (and yes, I understand the arguements as far as long-term cost security and projections of Hammer's decline...he was still gonna be a #2 Dman for a year or two at least).

Injury is a possibility. He did leave a preseason game with an injury, but I haven't noticed much wrong with him. Maybe he's nursing something and Q's doing him a solid, I don't know.

And no, it's not for advanced stats. I think we should all know by now that Q doesn't use those.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Injury is a possibility. He did leave a preseason game with an injury, but I haven't noticed much wrong with him. Maybe he's nursing something and Q's doing him a solid, I don't know.

And no, it's not for advanced stats. I think we should all know by now that Q doesn't use those.

I don't know what he uses. HNIC reported during one of the Blues first-round series (can't remember if it was 2014 or 2017) that both coaches were getting stats readouts from the same source (public, not proprietary) between periods. It must have been 2014, cause that was when extraskater.com was still around.

A lot of his decisions line up with public advanced stats. Many don't. They probably have some of their own stats to work with, though I'd be shocked if the ultimate measure of all their proprietary inputs wasn't impact on shot metrics similar to CF% or xGF%, as they're the largest, most reliable output metric.

I think this might be a case where the eye-test just doesn't line up with the impact. To us he looks inoffensive, but certainly something is offending Q cause this is the 2nd scratch in 3 games. Whether that's based on something he sees, numbers, or just a Qism, who knows.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, the Hammer trade is mind boggling. What was Bowman.thinking. If we still had Hammer the D corps would be far better.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks system is a mother f***er to learn, especially for a d-man. Guys have said in the past it takes around 25-30 games to finally be comfortable with it. Murphy will be fine.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am going to guess injury. Have anyone watched Hammer in AZ? He looks like he did the last half of the year last year (not OEL is playing terrible so that has some impact but Hammer has a 45% SAT, worst of the D, but only a -1). Murphy has been solid for the Hawks this season and has improved each game (his number a low 42% SAT but he has dungeon like zone starts 22% but he is a +3).

Q is a dunce when it comes to lineups so who knows what he is doing.

Franson can help the PP potentially but Seabrook should be sitting tonight after last game (the Hawks have 4 more days off after this game so that also might be why Schmaltz is sitting again).

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
tumblr_oxs52wNIhH1w8vvh3o1_540.gif

Due to a recent occurrence involving the rules, I thought it'd be nice to have a GDT dedicated to the official NHL rulebook. Only one problem, it's really freakin' long. Like 229 pages long. Yet not one of those rules can clearly say whether a player who deflects the puck off his skate and into said players defensive zone from a pass by a teammate that was made in that players offensive zone is offside or not. Sure, it's a mouth full. And sure, it's slightly confusing to explain. And okay, fine, it's pretty freakin' rare.

But in a book with 229 pages? How the **** is that not in there?

Feel free to read through the official 17-18 rulebook yourself. Note: may cause depression and the runs. Staring too long could also make your face melt off. It's not instantaneous like the ark of the covenant, but stare at it too long and it'll have a similar effect.​

Lol Pecker weenie

Reactions: CallMeShaft

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I want to see the quick hockey we witnessed in game 1 and 2. Surely, the loss of one player can't make that much of a difference.

If we see the same plodding team again tonight, it's time to look to RFD to inject some life.

Good point Bobby if some of these guys think they can coast they need to be reminded, regarding Schmaltz missing it does make a difference as he's now becoming one of our faster and talented players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad