Hawks tip thier hand (Toews)

Stuy

Jun 12, 2002
Calgary
stuy.proboards51.com
Hawks will be drafting Toews if he's still there at 3

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3321

With Tallon's emphasis on character and scout Anderson's praise, I'd be willing to bet that the Hawks will be taking Toews if he's there at #3.

"When you interview him, his character is totally reinforced with how well grounded he is and how solid he is emotionally and mentally. You just know he’s going to move forward rapidly," explains Blackhawks amateur scout Ron Anderson.

"The real impressive thing about him is that he turned 18 on April 29, so as a 17 year-old he wasn’t playing with his peers," Anderson adds. "He was playing with 21, 22, and 23 year-olds, and he seemed to get stronger as the year went on."
"You just can’t go wrong with him," Anderson says. "He’s a very safe pick and he’s going to be a real solid player in the National Hockey League."

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Wirtzsucks said:
Hawks will be drafting Toews if he's still there at 3

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3321

With Tallon's emphasis on character and scout Anderson's praise, I'd be willing to bet that the Hawks will be taking Toews if he's there at #3.

"When you interview him, his character is totally reinforced with how well grounded he is and how solid he is emotionally and mentally. You just know he’s going to move forward rapidly," explains Blackhawks amateur scout Ron Anderson.

"The real impressive thing about him is that he turned 18 on April 29, so as a 17 year-old he wasn’t playing with his peers," Anderson adds. "He was playing with 21, 22, and 23 year-olds, and he seemed to get stronger as the year went on."
"You just can’t go wrong with him," Anderson says. "He’s a very safe pick and he’s going to be a real solid player in the National Hockey League."

The other previews they did for Kessel and Staal were not as detailed or done with as much enthusiasm and this one certainly pimps Toews to no end.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
gardebut30 said:
The other previews they did for Kessel and Staal were not as detailed and this one certainly pimps Toews to no end.

I saw that. Caps fans are not going to be thrilled with the news. I think that he was the players that they hoped for at four.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
I saw that. Caps fans are not going to be thrilled with the news. I think that he was the players that they hoped for at four.

I'm kind of 50/50 on what I'd like the Hawks to do if Kessel slipped past #2 along with Toews, so I hope for the sake of my nerves, your Pens do take him.

Capitals19

Nov 14, 2005
NoVA
Jaded-Fan said:

not me.. i'd rather have Kessel or Backstrom at #4

YouAreStupid

May 27, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
If Toews is not around for the Caps they should snag Backstrom, IMO. I can't say that I'm impressed with Kessel.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
flambers said:
I bet its ....EJ, Staal, Toews, Backstrom and then Kessels

This is what I'm hoping for as a Bruins fan. I really like Kessel's upside, and I think he has that explosive ingredient that we are missing. I have to say, I am really turned off by the fact that he wouldn't sign a jersey for a handicapped assistant. To me, this is a real character flaw for a 17 year old. Hopefully he as grown up since then, though.

I agree with some other posters that Kessel is not the right fit for the Capitals. With Ovechkin and Semin already in the fold, they don't need any more flash. Backstrom, Toews, Staal, or even Mueller would all fill the strong center position that they really need.

SidTheKid87

Aug 1, 2005
Beesfan said:
This is what I'm hoping for as a Bruins fan. I really like Kessel's upside, and I think he has that explosive ingredient that we are missing. I have to say, I am really turned off by the fact that he wouldn't sign a jersey for a handicapped assistant. To me, this is a real character flaw for a 17 year old. Hopefully he as grown up since then, though.

I agree with some other posters that Kessel is not the right fit for the Capitals. With Ovechkin and Semin already in the fold, they don't need any more flash. Backstrom, Toews, Staal, or even Mueller would all fill the strong center position that they really need.

When did this happen? Any details? If true, then that's a real shame.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
It could just be wishful thinking on my part, but I thought Anderson's take on Kessel was more favorable than his take on Toews. He more or less discarded any attitude questions and projected Kessel to be the dominant player he was for the US as a developed prospect.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Even though Toews is highly touted... IMO he's the darkhorse of the top tier prospects... If Chicago picks him @ #3, I will be happy for them, asthey definately did their homework :D

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The thought of AO playing with Backstrom gives me shivers. It sounds like it has a very good chance of happening.

Bryzga lol*

Good for them! I think the Hawks need Toews so they can rebuild around him, he seems like a future leader.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Toews is the rumored Pens target as well (I'd rather pick Kessel), so we can forget the Hawks/Pens rumored deal I think.

Bryzga lol*

I really see the Pens taking Staal at number 2, he really seems like the perfect fit.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
well, they're all natural centers. j. staal's been was quoted in the pittsburgh papers as saying he would definitely switch to the wing if it would help him get to the NHL quicker, and didn't think it'd affect his game that much.

from the subtle hints and the way shero and head scout greg malone have been talking about the prospects, i get the feeling they favor staal at #2.

though i'd rather see the pens draft toews, i think he'll be on the board for CHI at the 3 spot.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
The Bruins getting Kessel could be a major coup for them, once he matures a bit and develops his already impressive skills i think he'd be great on the first line with Bergeron and Boyes. Though i'm still not entirely sure on what Backstrom's major strengths are that would put him at #4, i've heard some say he's like Forsberg and others say he's more a defensive guy.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Well if I'm Shero, I'm calling Chicago telling them the Pens are thinking about drafting Toews and try to get Chicago in to dealing something to prevent Pittsburgh for selecting Toews. Maybe Pitt wants Toews, maybe they dont. We'll see if Chicago thinks the Pens want him as bad as they do.

ItalicSquirrel

Apr 15, 2006
Don't worry about it - Pittsburgh isn't going to draft Toews. If they even stay at the pick, it'll be Staal, but they're probably going to pull the trigger on a move that'll send the pick to Carolina or Nashville giving those teams the opportunity to pick Jordan.

Now I'm very confident that the Hawks WILL pick Toews, but regardless, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the people that write those things for the Blackhawks' websites do not know who Tallon is gunning for - though most inside the organization do want Toews. Basically if you want to read into what Anderson says, that's fine, but don't think that the author of that piece is trying to send the fans a message of "HEY YOU GUYS SHOULD LOVE TOEWS."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad