Pre-Game Talk: Hawks in the SENS Den, Tues 7:30 pm on TSN

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think the most depressing part is coming to terms that Karlsson is most likely not going to be a Senator long term. This team just can't seem to get it together with him on the roster.

There are some good young players who are being developed and coming through the pipeline but things don't look good. I don't see any reason why a guy that good and that talented would want to stay on a team that's been spinning its' tires for the 9 years he's been in the league.

And, to be honest, he's almost exclusively the reason I've tuned in every single game. Why I pay for Centre Ice so I can record the games and watch them after my shift. Why I rewatch highlights of his greatness so I can remember that I witnessed a would-be legend in the making. And all for what? A f***ing terrible waste of talent on an organization that is nothing more than a second-rate huckster treating us like a bunch of idiots. Shamming their way through the years. Squandering the talent that formed this team's reputation. A humiliating and embarrassing inability to put the pieces together. Year after year of torment from fans who watched teams with a tenth of the talent of ours. And we always fell back on that simple excuse "we just needed that one piece and we could have done it". And here we are again, high off of what was almost nirvana for us, and worse than ever it seems.

One of the most magnificent players in the league's history and we've surrounded him with a bunch of donkeys. Hard-working, earnest animals, but animals fit for peasants, not royalty.

It makes me so mad to know that we could have been one of the NHL's legacy teams, captained by one of its all-time greats. And instead we're a f***ing laughingstock.

I don't know how to tolerate it. Or if I want to anymore.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Can someone just confirm for me...

We lost 8-2, right? Like, that actually happened? I’m not dreaming am I?

Absolute shambles of a team.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I hope the Sens don't make the sane mistake with Duchene as they did with Ryan

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Ryan is lazy with his stick. That's why he always gets his hands injured. Always one hand on the stick and unprepared to make a play. As a result, the reflex to block a shot results in the puck hitting the underside of the glove (inside of the hand where there's no padding). If he kept both hands on his stick, the puck would hit the thick padding on the outside of the fingers instead.

I don’t think it makes any difference. I’ve had my hands on the stick and a shot broke my finger. It’s just a fluke.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's time to sell off our spare parts. Roll with our core guys and prospects, win/lose, doesn't matter. We will likely stick around ~4th/7th last, so we should get as many cups of coffee as possible out of the way. Dorion needs to accept that we have many non-core guys (who are somehow signed to 2 year deals) who should be traded for whatever value we can get so we can:
A) Give time to prospects, looking towards next season
B) Return whatever draft assets we can possibly get
C) Build towards a better draft pick

Keep:
Stone
EK
Chabot
Duchene (We will not be trading him so soon)
Hoffman (Traded in a hockey deal for a D ideally, though I've no confidence)
Dzingel (trade him next season if need by, 1.8 for 20 goals is great)
Boro
Brassard (We seem bent on keeping him, so be it)
Pageau

Everyone else should be on the market.

Get whatever draft assets you can get for:
Smith
Oduya
Thompson
Pyatt
Burrows
Ceci (either a hockey move or for a draft package, I'm ok with either, though we will need him next year)

Unmovable
Phaneuf
Ryan
Potentially (likely) Burrows

Then you are left with guys like Harpur/Claesson, who don't have value and still have a possible future with the team. They should be kept unless we are blown away by an offer.

Call up Chlapik full time and play him.
Call up Paul to assess in a full time role.
Call up Jaros for as many games as possible.
Call up Gagne/Perron for a cup of coffee to assess.
Call up Englund to assess where he is

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t think it makes any difference. I’ve had my hands on the stick and a shot broke my finger. It’s just a fluke.

Perfect fandome for Ryan, everyone talking about his hands and gloves and no one saying his real problem, Ryan has no heart.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So this was the ‘We need better second periods’ game....

Let me check the 2nd Period stats real quick....

5 goals in the 2nd with a goalie pull....

Great job guys.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Just watch the highlights
Anderson just didnt care
Didnt move side to side
Butterflied for every shot
Cant win with that
Wont win like that
More then time to play the youth and TANK

Reactions: Tundraman

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
In the words of Mike Singletray:

‘Cannot play with them.
Cannot win with them.
Cannot coach with them.
Can’t do it.
I want winners.
I want people that want to win.’

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No, but he’s probably going to get at least 6 years at 6 million per. They gave up so much to get him. It’s like the Ryan deal. Give up a lot for a guy who needs an extension soon. He’ll get it unless he wants to move on.

That's what scares me. We made a huge mistake trading for him...and instead of fixing that mistake, we'll compound it by giving Duchene a monster deal.

Duchene has a ton of talent, but a guy who is that streaky and that soft mentally is not a guy you build around. That is not a successful recipe.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That's what scares me. We made a huge mistake trading for him...and instead of fixing that mistake, we'll compound it by giving Duchene a monster deal.

Duchene has a ton of talent, but a guy who is that streaky and that soft mentally is not a guy you build around. That is not a successful recipe.

Unless Duchene tells us he doesn’t want to be here and forces a trade.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Our 2 goalies have serious rebound control issues. They put the puck in dangerous areas almost every time. The book on our goalies has to be just put the puck at their pads and go for the rebound or try a wraparound. Just from memory at least 3 goals against tonight were on a 2nd shot right after a bad rebound. That doesn't include the 2nd chances that didn't go in. What's going on those are rookie goalie mistakes.

What bother me the most about our goalie is that they aren't calming the play.

In the sense that when the other team are storming our zone, you need your goalie to save and freeze the puck if the player are getting crushed.. instead the puck it him and the rebound are not controled, so the play continue.

It is not something that is happening on a consistent basis. When Andy is on his game, you see him having a very active glove, grabbing almost everything and stopping the play when it is very needed.

That's what elite goalie do. And Andy isn't one who is able to do it on a consistent basis.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Doesn’t work great at even strength either.

Baby steps, baby steps..lol.

It really is mind boggling. Boucher switches up lines and pairings by the minute, yet his one constant is #2 and#5 together. Hasn't changed in a season and a half. He toys with it here and there, but never for an substantial amount of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad