Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The Macann trade was horrible. If JB wanted toughness. They had Tryamkin that can play those minutes. I would of just resign Hamhuis and Play Tryamkin. Who knows if Tryamkin was getting more ice time. Maybe he stay in Van.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Macann trade was horrible. If JB wanted toughness. They had Tryamkin that can play those minutes. I would of just resign Hamhuis and Play Tryamkin. Who knows if Tryamkin was getting more ice time. Maybe he stay in Van.
Tryamkin is not the first person that comes to mind when you speak of toughness...He was clearly not comfortable in that role...The previous coaching staff wanted him to play like Pronger..remember.

Reactions: F A N

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Tryamkin is not the first person that comes to mind when you speak of toughness...He was clearly not comfortable in that role...The previous coaching staff wanted him to play like Pronger..remember.

Wasn't it more about him not understanding what they even want from him?

I distinctly remember an interview where he says he doesn't understand why he gets benched when he does well and sometimes gets ice time when he does poorly.

Reactions: Pavel96

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Tryamkin spoke of his irritation with the NHL mindset over players not liking being hit with a clean hit and if you hit them with a clean hit they want to fight you. Tryamkin only mixed it up for that reason, he didn’t like it.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
How many more seasons of him being injured half the season while being one of the worst defencemen in the league while healthy before we can judge him?
Well they did give him both term and a raise yet the jury is still out - where is this jury are they ever coming back?

It's pretty awesome for the player when you never truly have to be evaluated simply because you are too injury prone to play more than 50% of your games in a Canuck uniform but you still 'earn' a long term contact with a raise.

The jury wasn't out when they traded a lot of assets for him either. As well his time on ice indicated that he was a 5-6 dman last year (you know the way the coach chose to use him the majority of the season not right after he was signed to a big deal for optics), so the jury isn't out on that either.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wasn't it more about him not understanding what they even want from him?

I distinctly remember an interview where he says he doesn't understand why he gets benched when he does well and sometimes gets ice time when he does poorly.
He didn't understand the NHL code..when you hit another players guy,even if its a clean hit..Usually,someone takes offence to that and challenges you..It made no sense to him.

Benchings after good performances were par for the course from Willie D.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He didn't understand the NHL code..when you hit another players guy,even if its a clean hit..Usually,someone takes offence to that and challenges you..It made no sense to him.

Benchings after good performances were par for the course from Willie D.

Could have sworn he complained about the latter.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think the Code requires you to stand up for your teammates and challenge the guy that hurt your teammate. But I don't think the Code requires a player to be obligated to fight for throwing a clean hit. I don't think it makes sense to require a player to fight for throwing a good clean hit.

It was one of the things he didn't understand, but he didn't like the latter 100%. That was a huge complaint as was trying to get him to play and be like pronger, when that wasn't his game.

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, forcing a player to be something he is not is rarely successful. On the other hand, if the way you want a player to play will make him a more successful NHLer it's something you should try to get him to do. It's like Edler. It's not natural for him nor is he capable of being a physical force game in and game out. But when he does play that style he can be absolutely dominant. There's no question that you want Tryamkin to play more like Chara or Pronger than Marek Malik.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the Code requires you to stand up for your teammates and challenge the guy that hurt your teammate. But I don't think the Code requires a player to be obligated to fight for throwing a clean hit. I don't think it makes sense to require a player to fight for throwing a good clean hit.

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, forcing a player to be something he is not is rarely successful. On the other hand, if the way you want a player to play will make him a more successful NHLer it's something you should try to get him to do. It's like Edler. It's not natural for him nor is he capable of being a physical force game in and game out. But when he does play that style he can be absolutely dominant. There's no question that you want Tryamkin to play more like Chara or Pronger than Marek Malik.

I know you are not implying this;
But I don't think anyone can copy Chara or Pronger. IMHO they are just as rare specimens as the franchise centers. Huge hulking brutes with mean streaks, with high hockey IQ, with booming shots, who you can throw out there to make the opposing teams top forwards miserable.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I know you are not implying this;
But I don't think anyone can copy Chara or Pronger. IMHO they are just as rare specimens as the franchise centers. Huge hulking brutes with mean streaks, with high hockey IQ, with booming shots, who you can throw out there to make the opposing teams top forwards miserable.

There's a difference between ability and style though. You can copy a player's style without having the same ability. Tryamkin has the size without the natural mean streak. It doesn't mean he can't play an aggressive and physically punishing game. It's no different from telling Goldobin that he needs to hound the puck. Darren Archibald wasn't a fighter in juniors. Tryamkin can certainly play more like Chara or Pronger given his size.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There's a difference between ability and style though. You can copy a player's style without having the same ability. Tryamkin has the size without the natural mean streak. It doesn't mean he can't play an aggressive and physically punishing game. It's no different from telling Goldobin that he needs to hound the puck. Darren Archibald wasn't a fighter in juniors. Tryamkin can certainly play more like Chara or Pronger given his size.

Some styles can't be copied, but agree to disagree I guess.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018

Is McCann is supposed to be special or something? I fail to see how gawd damn special the crew claim he is. It’s like we traded Barzal and Beauvillier for Reinhart, or a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic!!

Oh the narrative.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Is McCann is supposed to be special or something? I fail to see how gawd damn special the crew claim he is. It’s like we traded Barzal and Beauvillier for Reinhart, or a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic!!

Oh the narrative.

Everytime you give up a 1st round pick from 2 years ago and a high 2nd rounder for what is a bottom pairing defenseman at best its a terrible trade. Thats not even mentioning that he makes 2-3 times more than he should.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Everytime you give up a 1st round pick from 2 years ago and a high 2nd rounder for what is a bottom pairing defenseman at best its a terrible trade. Thats not even mentioning that he makes 2-3 times more than he should.

The first round pick you speak of - “MCCANN” selected 24th overall, is he 16th overall pick Matthew Barzal special? Hell, Team Canada Worlds player - Beauvillier is a better player.

Reinhart waived, picked up by Vegas played the year in the minors

Hamonic - 1 goal 10 assists, minus 9 with Calgary. Islanders get 11th overall pick in 2018 and two 2nds for Hamonic

Adam Larson for Hart Trophy Candidate - Taylor Hall

Jim Benning is a jerk!!!

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The first round pick you speak of - “MCCANN” selected 24th overall, is he 16th overall pick Matthew Barzal special? Hell, Team Canada Worlds player - Beauvillier is a better player.

Hamonic - 1 goal 10 assists, minus 9 with Calgary. Islanders get 11th overall pick in 2018 and two 2nds for Hamonic

Jim Benning is a jerk!!!

So your only argument for this trade is that a worse trade exists?

Is it that difficult to defend the Gudbranson trade in its own merits or is this your way of acknowledging it was indeed a steaming pile?

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
First of all I don’t see it as the horrid trade the crew claims it to be. The crew is overrating an asset (McCann) to fit the narrative which is A Typical around here, I’m sorry I’m not willing to be force fed an opinion I will never agree with.

You do agree that the price on defencemen is typically at a premium, right? As witnessed with Hamonic, Larson, Reinhart, Alzners and Russells contracts?

Reactions: VancouverJagger

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
First of all I don’t see it as the horrid trade the crew claims it to be. The crew is overrating an asset (McCann) to fit the narrative which is A Typical around here, I’m sorry I’m not willing to be force fed an opinion I will never agree with.

You do agree that the price on defencemen is typically at a premium, right? As witnessed with Hamonic, Larson, Reinhart, Alzners and Russells contracts?

No one’s overrating anything. Now if McCann was still a Canuck then there’d certainly be some massive overrating going on, but in general people are being reasonable with what he is (21, still developing, potential to be a 2C) and of course the high 2nd (33rd). That is of far more valuable than a limited 3rd pair Dman who brings zero offense, poor defense, and inconsistent physical play to the table.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
the Gudbranson trade was horrid and it set this team back an entire year of a rebuild/retool.

our team should look like this.....

Horvat Tkachuk Boeser........... Edler Theodore...........Markstrom
McCann Dahlen Pettersson...... Del Zotto Tanev..............Demko
Gaudette Baertschi Virtanen........Hutton Biega/Stecher
Gaunce Granlund Motte

with the Hansen trade a 2nd rd pick
with the Bieksa trade 2nd
with the Pedan 3rd
with the Vey 2nd
with the 2nd (33) and 4th for Guddy
with the 5th for Larsen
and Forsling in Utica.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Jim Benning is a jerk!!!

I could be wrong but two of those deals you speak of were made by Bennings former boss who teached him the trade, I see a connection there.

Heck, even if McCann was the biggest bust in hockey history it would be still a bad deal. There is still the high 2nd rounder involved, so I assume you would be ok trading Demko or Lind for Gudbranson too (if we werent already punished with him)?

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
No one’s overrating anything. Now if McCann was still a Canuck then there’d certainly be some massive overrating going on, but in general people are being reasonable with what he is (21, still developing, potential to be a 2C) and of course the high 2nd (33rd). That is of far more valuable than a limited 3rd pair Dman who brings zero offense, poor defense, and inconsistent physical play to the table.

The winner of all arguments - Time

I guess we will just have to put this one on hold. In the mean time, Canafan, my one good friend here, continue on with your stance, but may I add one caveat, your stance on this may eventually resemble Custards last stand at Little Big Horn

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
the Gudbranson trade was horrid and it set this team back an entire year of a rebuild/retool.

our team should look like this.....

Horvat Tkachuk Boeser........... Edler Theodore...........Markstrom
McCann Dahlen Pettersson...... Del Zotto Tanev..............Demko
Gaudette Baertschi Virtanen........Hutton Biega/Stecher
Gaunce Granlund Motte

with the Hansen trade a 2nd rd pick
with the Bieksa trade 2nd
with the Pedan 3rd
with the Vey 2nd
with the 2nd (33) and 4th for Guddy
with the 5th for Larsen
and Forsling in Utica.