Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Actually Schroeder played for a playoff team (Blue Jackets) for 20+ games this past season. Season before, he had a similiar function (depth/black ace) for another playoff team.

A player that goes up and down his whole career from the two league AHL/NHL. Never was able to stay on an nhl roster for majority of the year is not considered making it to the nhl. At least by my definition.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
A player that goes up and down his whole career from the two league AHL/NHL. Never was able to stay on an nhl roster for majority of the year is not considered making it to the nhl. At least by my definition.
To be fair, those were two playoff teams (not contenders obviously by any stretch of the imagination) not just a lottery pick team that he failed to stick for the entire year on. Means much more than being in a similiar role on a lottery pick team.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Over time, you see the canucks quietly just building a great prospect pool.

I'm excited to see Demkos NHL career start and have to assume he gets 30 games this season. Boeser has proven himself to be a beast etc.

How does the Canucks prospect pool stack up vs the rest of the NHL? Is it top 5 at this point?

This is what I have been trying to say for awhile

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Meanwhile, if drafting was left to the armchair GM's, we would have a collection of BPA's, or in other words, a half-dozen 5'10 wingers who put up nice stats but leave our team looking like a poor man's Edmonton Oilers.

This is especially funny considering that we have an over abundance of prospects and young players on the wing while having massive holes at centre and on defense.

Reactions: MS

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Pool is improved which wasn’t hard to do. Imagine what it would be like had Jim not lost picks, prospects in losing trades.eg 33 in 16, forsling, McCann, more picks, stop trying to fast track.

Not major losses dude, and jury is still out on Gudbranson. Evaluate him after a full season vs bits and pieces.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not major losses dude, and jury is still out on Gudbranson. Evaluate him after a full season vs bits and pieces.

I like that you say they are not major losses, and then go on to say the jury is still out on Gudbranson who is older than both of them.

McCann very well could be an elite #2 centre, consistently putting up 55-60 points a season. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations if he pans out, something that Canucks fans have thought since we drafted him. He has already taken a big step forward this season and very well could hit 50 points next season if he stays healthy. I consider a #2 centre a major loss considering we just lost Henrik and have no real contingency plan considering our abysmal centre depth in both the projected roster and pipeline of prospects.

Forsling is easier to swallow, but once again, he still could pan out to be a great top 4 dman.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
I like that you say they are not major losses, and then go on to say the jury is still out on Gudbranson who is older than both of them.

McCann very well could be an elite #2 centre, consistently putting up 55-60 points a season. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations if he pans out, something that Canucks fans have thought since we drafted him. He has already taken a big step forward this season and very well could hit 50 points next season if he stays healthy. I consider a #2 centre a major loss considering we just lost Henrik and have no real contingency plan considering our abysmal centre depth in both the projected roster and pipeline of prospects.

Forsling is easier to swallow, but once again, he still could pan out to be a great top 4 dman.

McCann isnt showing he can be an elite #2 - he's a 3c tweener. (he had 28 points- that's 8 more than Virtanen and he got alot more ice ad PP time. May here saying JV is at best a 3w - similar stats) But yes he could have helped right now. But so be it. We also need size on D

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
McCann isnt showing he can be an elite #2 - he's a 3c tweener. (he had 28 points- that's 8 more than Virtanen and he got alot more ice ad PP time. May here saying JV is at best a 3w - similar stats) But yes he could have helped right now. But so be it. We also need size on D

In 7 less games. But the real distinction is that Virtanen was considered more NHL ready based on his size. McCann had mono in his draft year and didn't bulk up enough, and we saw him struggle and get out-muscled in his first NHL season. It's not a huge surprise that he did not take off right away. He also was heralded for his two-way play when he was drafted, which is a quality that you can never have enough of on a roster. Regardless of how McCann pans out, we definitely should not have traded him for a defenceman that had not proven much at the NHL level and was only a big name based on his draft position and size.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
I don’t think McCann will be a high end 2nd line centre. Honestly this team really needs Petterson to pan out as a centre. That and Gaudette to pan out as a top nine centre may be asking a bit much. There are obviously still gaping holes on the back end but getting Tryamkin back and not screwing up this years pick would certainly help turn that around. This is why it was asinine to trade for Vey and to cough up a 2nd for Sutter and for Gudbranson.

Those two trades, if they were Bonino and Clendenning for a Sutter and a 3rd and McCann and a 4th for Gudbranson and a 5th would have been a lot easier to stomach. Instead Elmer bent over and took it dry and gave away two high picks in 2015 and 2016 drafts which were both great drafts. In three drafts he pissed away three seconds which could have greatly improved the prospect pool.

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
In 7 less games. But the real distinction is that Virtanen was considered more NHL ready based on his size. McCann had mono in his draft year and didn't bulk up enough, and we saw him struggle and get out-muscled in his first NHL season. It's not a huge surprise that he did not take off right away. He also was heralded for his two-way play when he was drafted, which is a quality that you can never have enough of on a roster. Regardless of how McCann pans out, we definitely should not have traded him for a defenceman that had not proven much at the NHL level and was only a big name based on his draft position and size.

I Never stated Gudbranson has proven much either, but the point was, neither side seems to have 'won the trade' at this stage. And I'd argue, with Gaudette, we've pretty much replaced what McCan brings, with less attitude, AND we have a big dman that needs to stay healthy and hopefully we see why they traded for him. I will agree is wasn't a good trade but moreso because we threw a 2nd in there as well. That was unecessary.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I Never stated Gudbranson has proven much either, but the point was, neither side seems to have 'won the trade' at this stage. And I'd argue, with Gaudette, we've pretty much replaced what McCan brings, with less attitude, AND we have a big dman that needs to stay healthy and hopefully we see why they traded for him. I will agree is wasn't a good trade but moreso because we threw a 2nd in there as well. That was unecessary.
We do not have such a surplus of strong forwards that one promising prospect replaces what another one brings. The point is that we should have both right now. Also, attitude problems? Since when?

Jared McCann produced at a 34 point pace this year, whereas Virtanen produced at a 22 point pace. These are not remotely similar stats. As a matter of fact, two seasons ago, both McCann and Virtanen had already scored at a 21 point pace. At 21 years old, with his development progressing upward, McCann's numbers are worthy of a bit more promise than a 3C tweener (which he already is at this point).

That being said, losing Virtanen for Gudbranson would have been an equally stupid move.

Last edited:

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
We do not have such a surplus of strong forwards that one promising prospect replaces what another one brings. The point is that we should have both right now. Also, attitude problems? Since when?

Jared McCann produced at a 34 point pace this year, whereas Virtanen produced at a 22 point pace. These are not remotely similar stats.

There were rumours that he and Jake were similar in their approach to the game, and its partly why he was moved

Jared McCann acted like 'lonely star', says Andrey Pedan

read towards the end of this article as well

Florida Panthers: Evaluating the Status of Jared McCann’s Future

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning has amassed what should be a functional team if you do not mind losing. Since the Canucks have obviously come to terms with that, what objection would there be to losing with young fast forwards? Would anybody rather invest themselves with the travails of Eriksson or Gagne?

Youth movement now! Rebrand the Canucks. Come back as an over age Junior team and see if anybody can keep up!

So, yeah. I think they've got a decent pool of prospects. I hope they play them.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There were rumours that he and Jake were similar in their approach to the game, and its partly why he was moved

Jared McCann acted like 'lonely star', says Andrey Pedan

read towards the end of this article as well

Florida Panthers: Evaluating the Status of Jared McCann’s Future

So Jake and McCann both had “attitude issues” and it’s taken Jake 3 seasons to figure out how to simply show up to camp in shape but Jake is worth defending tooth and nail while McCann is no big loss? What would your story be if Jake was a Panther and McCann was still a Canuck? 100% reversed?

Reactions: geebaan

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
McCann just scored at a 33 point ES pace from 3rd line minutes at age 21. That is outstanding.

He's already a quality #2 center, just one lacking opportunity and PP minutes on a Florida team with two very good centers.

Ya but did McCann have a 20 game stretch where he looked like he was “getting it”?

Check and mate

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I Never stated Gudbranson has proven much either, but the point was, neither side seems to have 'won the trade' at this stage.

Even if the Canucks had gotten Gudbranson for free from the Panthers, they still would have lost that trade. Gudbranson is a waste of cap space and a roster spot, only thing he helps with is getting a better draft position but even for that he is injured too much.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Man do you ever do any research before you post. Macann 13.15 ice time. Virtnanen 11.95 ice time. Both got less than a min on average on the pp. Macann had some time on penalty kill as well. Virtanen hardly anytime on penalty killing. There mins as ES and PP are really close. Macann a little more ice time but it's not a lot. I know you love Virtanen but the way you are pumping him up by generalization and making stuff up is getting ridiculous

Let's not forget Virtanen most consistent linemates was the Sedins this year. Lol.

Without Sedins, Virtanen probably would will have about 5 less points this year.

Reactions: Pavel96 and Peter10

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Man do you ever do any research before you post. Macann 13.15 ice time. Virtnanen 11.95 ice time. Both got less than a min on average on the pp. Macann had some time on penalty kill as well. Virtanen hardly anytime on penalty killing. There mins as ES and PP are really close. Macann a little more ice time but it's not a lot. I know you love Virtanen but the way you are pumping him up by generalization and making stuff up is getting ridiculous

Let's not forget Virtanen most consistent linemates was the Sedins this year. Lol.

Without Sedins, Virtanen probably would will have about 5 less points this year.

He doesn't follow the procedure of: Look at the data -> Make up your mind.
For him it goes: Make up your mind -> Look for data that supports you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad