Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just curious on your stance;

a/ value pre-expansion draft

b/ value post regular season

What does Minny add to even it out?
Looked good for Minnesota when it happened, looks good now. It'd be great to have both Haula and Tuch back, but not at the expense of Dumba.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Vegas didn't take Dumba in the first place. Why would Vegas now trade two big young pieces of their success story away?

My mistake, shouldn’t have been a prospoal- more a “value of”. Obviously Minnesota saw the merit of keeping Dumba over those two as well at the expansion draft, just want to see the general consensus pre and post decision.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pre-expansion it was a no-brainer.

Post-expansion it has definitely evened out but I don't think it's fully swung in Vegas' favor.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Just leaving out that Staal was also protected by this deal? Also it's the sum is greater than the whole. Dumba's the best player but Haula/Tuch combined have greater value. The Wild were going to have to lose someone good and there was no way around that and adding Tuch to Haula to protect Dumba and Staal was a good move then, is a good move now.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Just leaving out that Staal was also protected by this deal? Also it's the sum is greater than the whole. Dumba's the best player but Haula/Tuch combined have greater value. The Wild were going to have to lose someone good and there was no way around that and adding Tuch to Haula to protect Dumba and Staal was a good move then, is a good move now.

That part is irrelevant, he never factored into Vegas' choices realistically.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Technically it was one of Staal or Zucker as the exposed forward, but either way: how do you figure a center that had just put up 65 points didn't factor into Vegas' choices?

Age. You guys would have had Staal, Zucker and one of Coyle or Nino available I assume or alternatively Dumba and Staal/Zucker. I can't imagine in either case Vegas thought very hard about Staal

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Age. You guys would have had Staal, Zucker and one of Coyle or Nino available I assume or alternatively Dumba and Staal/Zucker. I can't imagine in either case Vegas thought very hard about Staal
They already drafted the max number of defenders, and Staal had massive trade value. Maybe they would have moved their draft plans with other teams to draft Dumba, or maybe they took the center they could move for a bucket of good picks/prospects. Don't forget they unloaded plenty of players after the draft and still ended up overloaded on defenders for the opening roster.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
The point of the thread is to see how much people think minny overpayed to keep Dumba.
Then the op didn't think it through. Haula was going to be a cap causality regardless of whatever else happened. His value might have been a second at that time. So tuch and a second vs dumba is the actual comparison. That was and is a no brainer

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Haula and Tuch still don't get you Dumba. Not sure what the question is?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The point of the thread is to see how much people think minny overpayed to keep Dumba.
27 year old center who finished 78th in scoring among forwards and a 21 year old winger who finished 157th among forwards.

vs

23 year old defender who finished 19th in scoring among defenders.

Putting aside Dumba's defensive development this season, that alone should tell you enough. Wild don't trade Dumba for Haula+Tuch straight up today either. The Wild were going to get fleeced due to how the expansion draft was setup, and they did. And they still made the best possible decision.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
27 year old center who finished 78th in scoring among forwards and a 21 year old winger who finished 157th among forwards.

vs

23 year old defender who finished 19th in scoring among defenders.

Putting aside Dumba's defensive development this season, that alone should tell you enough. Wild don't trade Dumba for Haula+Tuch straight up today either. The Wild were going to get fleeced due to how the expansion draft was setup, and they did. And they still made the best possible decision.
The Wild did not overpay. It’s probably even or close to but it’s a trade I make again 10/10.

I wasn't saying that I thought they over payed, I was saying that's what the thread was made for.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I love Haula and Tuch but I'm not trading Dumba for them and I certainly wouldn't add regardless of what the gap in value may be.

Wild didn't "overpay" to keep anyone. We couldn't afford to re-sign Haula anyway.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Expansion draft couldn't have come at a worse time for Minny.. i think keeping Dumba was the right choice but doesn't mean it didn't suck to lose those players.

Just when they got good too.

They had 101 pts with basically 2x 4th lines (1 with Coyle on it)

With Tuch-Haula-Coyle 3rd line and being able to staple guys like Cullen and Foligno on the 4th line, i think they would've been able to legitimately challenge Winnipeg and Nashville in the regular season at least.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad