OT: has this team ever been the same since the 09 SCF loss?

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
^

i think this topic needs to be discussed.
as a fan, i am pretty shaken by that 3-2 lead being blown.

they can say all they want about how "malkin won it", but we shut crosby down.
zetterberg,datsyuk and franzen had one the finest playoff performances.

i thought we were going to win it. and we lost. it was horrible. i still remember it. i'm haunted by it.

sidney crosby was a nonfactor that entire series. we were the only team in history that will be remembered as the "losers" (I don't think he'll win another).

we blew it.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
No, they haven't been the same.

Lidstrom-Rafalski & Stuart-Kronwall are infinitely better than what we have now.

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
Considering only 6 guys have played in the 2009 SCFs and round 1 of the 2014 Playoffs for us, I'd say it's not really important to this teams' success-nexus anymore. It was long ago, and it sucked then, still does, but it's too far in the past to even matter nowadays.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Dude, that 2009 was beat to hell by the Ducks and Blackhawks.

Lidstrom had friggin testicle surgery, Datsyuk was wrecked, Rafalski could barely skate.

It hurt like hell that they lost that year, but I wouldn't call them chokers. Well besides Hossa...

It's true the team's stars have never stayed healthy since 2008 though.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
Youve been hanging on to that for 5 years? The championship years are gone

This is all practice for when the young guys reach their prime

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
BACK TO BACK CHIPS MAN. that never happens.

nobody won back to back since the wings in 97-98. it was supposed to be 08-09. the stage was set and instead we lost.

yeah i agree there were injury problems. rafalski especially.

i'm not saying that they didn't try. i'm just saying we should have won.

osgood was osbad, and MAXIME talbot played hero :(

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
BACK TO BACK CHIPS MAN. that never happens.

nobody won back to back since the wings in 97-98. it was supposed to be 08-09. the stage was set and instead we lost.

yeah i agree there were injury problems. rafalski especially.

i'm not saying that they didn't try. i'm just saying we should have won.

osgood was osbad, and MAXIME talbot played hero :(

sounds like someone's got the lays challenge all figured out

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Key players left, the players coming in to replace them weren't as good. Other players got older and declined. It's hardly some magical development that the Wings have been on a downward slope ever since. Due to the conservative management this downward slope has been extended in duration.

It's like that image of the frog boiling to death slowly in water whose temperature is increased so gradually that it doesn't notice it's being boiled.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Have the Bruins been the same since they blew it against Chicago last year?

Oh wait.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Dude, that 2009 was beat to hell by the Ducks and Blackhawks.

Lidstrom had friggin testicle surgery, Datsyuk was wrecked, Rafalski could barely skate.

It hurt like hell that they lost that year, but I wouldn't call them chokers. Well besides Hossa...

It's true the team's stars have never stayed healthy since 2008 though.

Lidstrom - emergency surgery to quite literally save his testicles
Ericsson - emergency appendectomy
Kopecky - Broken cheekbone
Lilja - concussion
Datsyuk - broken foot
Hossa - torn rotator cuff
Cleary - double groin tear
Rafalski - herniated disk
Rafalski - seperated shoulder.

I think that's everyone. But yeah, we choked that year. :shakehead

In case you haven't noticed we've had a large number of kids on the roster this year, and this series is a helluva wake-up call for them. The good news is Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco now have 3 months to go away and train like **** for next year.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I absolutely hate hearing, "they just need more experience, they'll be ready in a few years, growing pains." Absolute bulls***.

What about Krug? What about Hamilton? What about Riley Smith? How come they don't need "just a bit more experience". These guys have just as much experience as our young guys and absolutely destroyed them.

It's not experience, it's talent and our team has very little. This is all Holland.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I absolutely hate hearing, "they just need more experience, they'll be ready in a few years, growing pains." Absolute bulls***.

What about Krug? What about Hamilton? What about Riley Smith? How come they don't need "just a bit more experience". These guys have just as much experience as our young guys and absolutely destroyed them.

It's not experience, it's talent and our team has very little. This is all Holland.
The Bruins' young guys have support. It's way easier to be a young guy when the older guys are fantastic players in their prime. When the older guys are injured or just seriously underachieving, it all falls in your lap and you aren't ready for it.

This loss is on the older guys, not the young ones.

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
They haven't been the same since that 2002 team.

pretty sure we went out and signed cujo and he sucked.
i remember that first playoff series. there were many saves he should have made.
nonetheless a motivated j.s. giguere who put up heroic efforts night after night; sixty save night at least once.
we shot him up and he was none the worse for wear. he did it for his momma iirc? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/2003/playoffs/news/2003/06/09/giguere_connsmythe_ap/

DregerFan

Jul 4, 2007
Game 7 game winning goal against the ducks... like 10 goals that playoffs.... :cry:

he was so sick. i think he earned that 5 year 13.7m deal or w/e it was.

i don't think our prospects are even bad. i really think they just stopped listening to coach babcock

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad