Has Shanny made his first mistake?

Mar 26, 2010
I doubt Lou is the difference-maker in JT's decision
He is EVERYTHING to getting Tavares signed. That is 100% the only reason NYI brought him in. Lou will hound Tavares and force him to sign.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
He is EVERYTHING to getting Tavares signed. That is 100% the only reason NYI brought him in. Lou will hound Tavares and force him to sign.

If that's the case then they deserve to keep him.

Can't hate on a team pulling off a last minute management change in order to keep their star. Gotta give props to that.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

member 300185

Tavares signing with Islanders might be better for the Leafs than signing with the Leafs.

Cap space is an asset.
Only if you use it. Montreal has a running gag when they were playing about how "cap space" was invisible out there.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Only if you use it. Montreal has a running gag when they were playing about how "cap space" was invisible out there.
Passing the puck to the invisible man (aka cap space) only results in a turn over, and possibly, a scoring chance for the other team. ;)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Gotta lay blame where it belongs if we don’t sign JT. The crew who handled the Three mile island nuclear reactor meltdown. Had they only allowed it to spread radioactive fallout to Long Island before getting it contained, JT would undoubtedly be a Leaf July 1.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Don't forget when Rick Dudley left the Leafs front office while he was the Director of Player Personnel to become the Canadiens Assistant General Manager in 2012, Montreal agreed to not have Dudley at their draft table or take part in any draft discussion before it happened. Remember since he was hired by Montreal on May 25, 2012 it was less than a month from the 2012 draft. So when the Leafs prevented Mark Hunter being hired by any team until July 15, 2018 there is precedent for them doing something like that.

They drafted Galchenyuk and we drafted Morgan Rielly, who looks better now?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Letting Lou go and giving the job to Dubas (particularly with the 3 Amigo's needing big $$ term contracts) is what we will soon find out if that was Shanny's mistake.

If I had my choice I would have Lou Lam with 30 years GM experience negotiate those deals, before I would trust a greenhorn rookie GM to get the better out of career agents with loads of experience. These contracts will impact the Leafs for the next decade.

Those contracts for Auston, Willie and Mitch are mission critical not only to secure their services but also vital to Leafs cap situation going forward and how the competitive the team depth will be around them in terms of remaining cap.

So its more about the timing of Lou Lam leaving in terms of unfinished Leafs business than future business dealings.

PS. Lou Lam leaving and perhaps getting JT resigned with NYI would likely benefit the Leafs, and would prevent him from joining a Div rival instead. Leafs are likely not in the JT sweepstakes anyways so no harn and no foul if Lou Lam gets his name on a new Islanders deal.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Shanny didnt allow Hunter to sign with another team until after the July 1st deadline. (Or Dubas, whoever),

Should Shanny have done the same thing with Lou Lam? He is a cagey GM with a ton of experience and a true salesman who can handle each and every objection.

Lou had his hands slapped for Tampering before in the Kovalchuk deal.

1- Should Lou have been given the rule that he can only sign with a team after July 1st or hell, July 15 instead of being able to go to the Islanders, where he is having very positive talks with JT?

2- Is what Lou doing considered tampering? He went from a team that wants JT, to a team that already has JT and JT was getting ready to walk. Is it possible there are some things in the Leafs front office that Lou took advantage of in talking with JT?

It seems to me all this would have gone smoother had Shanny refused Lou to sign with the Islanders. He was under contract for the Leafs for the next 3 years. Shanny could have controlled where he would end up.
Lou didn't get nailed for tampering with Kovalchuk lol. Kovalchuk was a Devil before that megadeal.

Lou got nailed because he gave Kovalchuk a 37863482936 year contract that was blatant cap circumvention where he never in a million years would've played out the final few years and the league had to draw a line somewhere.

Of course, it's kind of a good thing for them he retired since... well, just look at the hell Vancouver will face with Luongo's recapture soon.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Obviously the Leafs look better now. I was just stating what happened at that time.

The final ranking list is yet to be made and I think they are not very concerned about it. A scout knows more details than a gm because they have yet to go to the table and decide what each individual is all about.

Anyway it’s not going to be that bad hopefully we pick our player and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->