Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
People in this thread have implied that he’s not a leader, based on not doing well in this series and also on “dodging the media.” I’ve seen it in this thread, as I’m sure you have. That’s all I was pointing out. That those types of posts are “ridiculous.”

Maybe I should have multi-quoted all the dumb posts. Next time.

There are plenty of great players, many of them in the Hockey Hall of Fame, that weren't "great leaders."

Saying someone isn't a great leader does not, in any way, shape or form "write them off."

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
There are plenty of great players, many of them in the Hockey Hall of Fame, that weren't "great leaders."

Saying someone isn't a great leader does not, in any way, shape or form "write them off."

Okay then, I guess I jumped the gun. I have no need to defend Matthews anyway.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ummmmm how are people this ridiculous?

1.) he has never matched up well with chara. He had one goal in like 6 regular season games or something against him. The media is so dumb that they keep mentioning the Bergeron line. It is irrelevant

Matthews and his line play a tight corner pressure and wall battle game. The bruins have a 6’9 270 ogre. It is a bad match up for him.

2.) he just came back from a separated shoulder. would you go fight the mountain like that???

It’s a bad match for him made worse. If the rest of the league can clone the most unique player in NHL history then I’m worried. Until then not so much

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can’t velieve people who spend all day talking about hockey and don’t have any idea what they are watching

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I haven't been able to watch this series much, but isn't Matthews being matched up against Bergeron and/or Chara? In other words, one of the best matchup centres of all time and one of the best shutdown D of all time?

Tough matchups have made better players than Matthews look bad. And there is no tougher matchup in the game than Bergerons line.

It's not a valid excuse though. Ovi doesen't get credit for being eliminated by the stanley cup champs every year...and that's in the 2nd round where he actually gets points.

Bergernon didn't even play in Game 4 and that was arguably Matthews worst game of the series.

Seems like a cop out.

He brought it tonight, pretty good game by him.

FInished with an assist, his first of the series and showed desperation from the beginning.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Ummmmm how are people this ridiculous?

1.) he has never matched up well with chara. He had one goal in like 6 regular season games or something against him. The media is so dumb that they keep mentioning the Bergeron line. It is irrelevant

Matthews and his line play a tight corner pressure and wall battle game. The bruins have a 6’9 270 ogre. It is a bad match up for him.

2.) he just came back from a separated shoulder. would you go fight the mountain like that???

It’s a bad match for him made worse. If the rest of the league can clone the most unique player in NHL history then I’m worried. Until then not so much

Your not looking at peoples posts the right way then.

No ones saying it's not tough to go up against that at a young age but it's pretty irrelevant. In Pro-Sports you either succeed or fail in the big show.

He didn't JUST COME BACK, he's been back for over a month. You see other star players come back from worse injuries and still perform, even young players like the guy in my av.

This is PRO SPORTS.

And if your gonna name Matthews one of the top players in the NHL, he deserves to be blamed if he doesen't perform and his team loses.

Hell lots of players get blamed every WHEN THEY perform and there team loses.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Your not looking at peoples posts the right way then.

No ones saying it's not tough to go up against that at a young age but it's pretty irrelevant. In Pro-Sports you either succeed or fail in the big show.

He didn't JUST COME BACK, he's been back for over a month. You see other star players come back from worse injuries and still perform, even young players like the guy in my av.

This is PRO SPORTS.

And if your gonna name Matthews one of the top players in the NHL, he deserves to be blamed if he doesen't perform and his team loses.

Hell lots of players get blamed every WHEN THEY perform and there team loses.

It’s a specific matchup that is bad for him. That’s it. It’s not the show.its not the playoffs. It’s a bad match for him IHe would have difficulty playing Chara in shinny. There has never been another Chara and there probably won’t be. So I’m not worried.

Hell even with this “deficiency” he has outscored eichel in 1 less season 74g to 73g in like 50 games...... he scored 4 goals in 6 games last year.

Like I said. People don’t know what they are watching.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Who cares about Eichel. He's irrelevant playing on a joke basement team his whole career. They're destined to stay there. He'll probably finish his career with 0 playoff points... unless he leaves there

Oh look it's the "If I can't bash the player because he's too good , I'll just bash the team!"

In his only healthy season the team finished .500

So lets wait till the new GM or Coach are at least in there 2nd years before we label the Sabres a HUGE BASEMENT TEAM JOKE for the future.

The kid is 21.

You think Buffalo is going to be last the next 8-18 years?

Have fun with that.

It’s a specific matchup that is bad for him.

That’s it. It’s not the show.its not the playoffs.
It’s a bad match for him IHe would have difficulty playing Chara in shinny. There has never been another Chara and there probably won’t be. So I’m not worried.

Hell even with this “deficiency” he has outscored eichel in 1 less season 74g to 73g in like 50 games...... he scored 4 goals in 6 games last year.

Like I said. People don’t know what they are watching.

Pretty sure this is the SHOW and this IS THE PLAYOFFS. This is where you are judged, again Ovechkin doesen't get a pass from being eliminated by the Pens every year. And he makes it to 2nd round and scores a lot of points. Or in 2015 beling eliminated by the Pres Trophy winning Rangers in 2nd round late OT. Wasn't on the ice when eliminated in EITHER 15 or 16, and wasn't on the ice for 8 of the blue jackets first goals in both games 1 and 2 losses, but that didn't stop people from ripping him.

What in gods name are you talking about, with Eichel? This isn't about him. EVery time I talk about Matthews someone has to come back with this crap.

Since you brought it up though...what do you mean he has out-scored him, in goals? OK...wow he has one more goal on a team that scores about a 100 more, you don't say?

What's REALLY impressive though, is how Eichel has gotten over 30 asssists in every season he's ever played on such low scoring teams meanwhile Matthews hasn't even done it once. On a top 5 team in scoring.

That fact alone is more impressive then anything Matthews has done.

But hey you brought it up. Don't even reply back because I'm sick of going over the same facts.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
He was pretty good tonight until those penalties killed his ice time lol

His game was very strong at the beginning, I didn't notice him in the 2nd but that's because of what you said.

And again I didn't notice him in the third outside a shift or two.

But the Bruins out-shot the Leafs 2:1, Maple Leafs were just holding on.

You got a damn good goalie.

He's not the best like CHerry says but he's probably your most valuable player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Oh look it's the "If I can't bash the player because he's too good , I'll just bash the team!"

In his only healthy season the team finished .500

So lets wait till the new GM or Coach are at least in there 2nd years before we label the Sabres a HUGE BASEMENT TEAM JOKE for the future.

The kid is 21.

You think Buffalo is going to be last the next 8-18 years?

Have fun with that.

Pretty sure this is the SHOW and this IS THE PLAYOFFS. This is where you are judged, again Ovechkin doesen't get a pass from being eliminated by the Pens every year. And he makes it to 2nd round and scores a lot of points. Or in 2015 beling eliminated by the Pres Trophy winning Rangers in 2nd round late OT. Wasn't on the ice when eliminated in EITHER 15 or 16, and wasn't on the ice for 8 of the blue jackets first goals in both games 1 and 2 losses, but that didn't stop people from ripping him.

What in gods name are you talking about, with Eichel? This isn't about him. EVery time I talk about Matthews someone has to come back with this crap.

Since you brought it up though...what do you mean he has out-scored him, in goals? OK...wow he has one more goal on a team that scores about a 100 more, you don't say?

What's REALLY impressive though, is how Eichel has gotten over 30 asssists in every season he's ever played on such low scoring teams meanwhile Matthews hasn't even done it once. On a top 5 team in scoring.

That fact alone is more impressive then anything Matthews has done.

But hey you brought it up. Don't even reply back because I'm sick of going over the same facts.

The point is people are making broad sweeping character, heart and future playoff
Success about a player who has had incredible success in his career based on this series.

The entire series he is head to head with his most difficult matchup, who is a genetic freak and a completely unique case. annnd he busted his shoulder. You go run into a 6’9 ogre with a bad arm.

Making ridiculous over arching statements about how he does in the playoffs and character based on this is dumb. That’s what I am saying.

He scored 4 goals in 6 in his first playoff.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
The point is people are making broad sweeping character, heart and future playoff
Success about a player who has had incredible success in his career based on this series.
No need to act that Leafs fans weren't making claims like McDavid might outscore Matthews in the regular season but Matthews will always perform better in the post season based on a tiny sample size from last years playoffs.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
To me he looks a tiny bit out of shape. This could be from nagging injury or generally due to missing so much time and never fully recovering.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No need to act that Leafs fans weren't making claims like McDavid might outscore Matthews in the regular season but Matthews will always perform better in the post season based on a tiny sample size from last years playoffs.

Was I one of them???

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews has a hard time scoring against the bruins. 1 g in 5 reg season games.
Marner has always played great against the bruins. 13 pts in 8 gp.

Matthews doesn’t match up well against Chara. It’s pretty easy to see what the issue is

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yes he has; the Bruins have done an excellent job closely marking and using top checkers to neutralize him. Still, he has gotten better as the series has gone on so that is a good sign.

And no, it doesn't mean Matthews isn't a franchise centre who the Leafs should build a team around. That sentiment I am reading on this thread is idiotic. He is already among the very best 1Cs in the NHL at the tender age of 20. Apparently he can't yet go in and beat a multiple Selke winner in Bergeron night in and night out after two years in the NHL; that doesn't mean the Leafs should take him out to the glue factory.

Heck, I remember when Datsyuk shut down a 21 year old Crosby for a series. Anyone want to argue that Sid turned out to be a bum?

Reactions: Rabid Ranger

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hfboards obsession with the Leafs is sad. I guess Oilers fans need something to do while their team continues to miss the playoffs while having the best player in the NHL on their team

We're not allowed to discuss Matthews poor series performance, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->