Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Over history there’s alot of better defensive forwards but I do agree that Bergeron is near the top for the past 10 years

A lot? Can you come up with 10 names that even half of people would agree? It's fine to say he's not the greatest/best defensive forward ever, but he would be on any credible top-10 list and I bet he'd make majority of top-5 lists too.

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
23-24 year old Bergeron's playoff stats: 18 games played, 1 goal, 8 assists and missed the playoffs 3/5 years. Look at where he is now.

Matthews is 20 years old and besides Game 1, I don't think he's had a bad playoff game. He played extremely well in Game 2 but it's tough to come back in a game where you are down 4-0 in the blink of an eye.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
23-24 year old Bergeron's playoff stats: 18 games played, 1 goal, 8 assists and missed the playoffs 3/5 years. Look at where he is now.

Matthews is 20 years old and besides Game 1, I don't think he's had a bad playoff game. He played extremely well in Game 2 but it's tough to come back in a game where you are down 4-0 in the blink of an eye.

I don't remember last years PO's anymore, but wasn't he held scoreless in first 2? Did he play well anyways?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't remember last years PO's anymore, but wasn't he held scoreless in first 2? Did he play well anyways?

Yeah, he played well despite not getting on the scoresheet. I don't think he had a bad playoff game against the Capitals whether he put up points or not. Game 1 against Boston was terrible. Game 2 was good but didn't get a point. Game 3 was honestly worse than Game 2 but he got the game winning goal.

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
This is a thread? Cmon the kid is young and this is only his second year with very few games under his belt. They are all young and they need to get used to the pressure, which should be soon.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

Matthews cann call himself lucky if he ever comes close to becoming the player Bergeron is.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Why ask me. If you can't tell the guy was mentally rattled when he said "**** happens" and how happy he was to get the monkey off his back tonight, I don't know what to tell you.

You can laugh all you want.

But he's the franchise forward. He did nothing in the first two games, and that may cost your team the season. I'm not even the one saying he has psychological problems, I don't know where your getting this from?

What is with all of you, so defensive if someone dare say something bad about Matthews.

I almost feel bad for you guys.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews cann call himself lucky if he ever comes close to becoming the player Bergeron is.

Ever come close? Look at their stats this season (Bergeron's best, Matthews' sophomore) and Bergeron gets more powerplay time and plays with much better players. Matthews is also an above average defensive player. I'll be shocked if he doesn't become better at his peak.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He isn't struggling he just refuses to stop playing perimeter hockey.

He had a concussion earlier in the year and the Bruins are playing an extremely physical brand of hockey (atleast in the first 2 games), can you really blame him?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This is a thread? Cmon the kid is young and this is only his second year with very few games under his belt. They are all young and they need to get used to the pressure, which should be soon.

LOL you're right. This should be renamed "Is HF struggling to come up with intelligent things to talk about during the playoffs".

I guess this is the troll fall back now that their dreams of a sweep have been crushed.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
To OP - Do you struggle to get dressed in the morning?

With threads like these, I have to ask.. Do you struggle to form sentences? Do you struggle to wipe your own ass? Because you must be Pejorative Slured.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

What now? We are talking about one of the best goal scoring centers in the league at 20 years old.

Dude was on pace for 45 goals, PPG+ as a 20 year old and he's better on ES than on the PP right now.

He won't need luck to be one of the best players of his generation.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I love how when a player struggles for 2 games it's all over. So melodramatic. NHL fans have ADD.
I bet the OP had no recollection of how well he played in the playoff last season.
Matthews is a stud.

Reactions: authentic

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
I think Matthews will be a better player than Bergeron but not by much. Probably comparable to Kopitar except more offensively talented and less defensively talented.

People forget that Bergeron had 73 points in his 2nd year in the league. He can score a lot when he's called on to do so but he's employed as a firefighter and that's a role that doesn't allow for too much offensive freedom. The value of a shutdown center is one of the most underrated commodities in hockey and I think if you specifically need a shutdown center then you'd choose Bergeron over Matthews no matter where Matthews is in his career.

Reactions: snowkiddin

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Matthews will be a better player than Bergeron but not by much. Probably comparable to Kopitar except more offensively talented and less defensively talented.

People forget that Bergeron had 73 points in his 2nd year in the league. He can score a lot when he's called on to do so but he's employed as a firefighter and that's a role that doesn't allow for too much offensive freedom. The value of a shutdown center is one of the most underrated commodities in hockey and I think if you specifically need a shutdown center then you'd choose Bergeron over Matthews no matter where Matthews is in his career.

In 2005-06. That was not even his best offensive season, that was the highest scoring year since the early 90s.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What now? We are talking about one of the best goal scoring centers in the league at 20 years old.

Dude was on pace for 45 goals, PPG+ as a 20 year old and he's better on ES than on the PP right now.

He won't need luck to be one of the best players of his generation.

One of is an understatement. He is the best goal scoring center in the NHL, and at even strength alone it is not close.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews is a hell of a lot better than Bergeron at the same age.

He's almost as good now, who are we kidding?

This season:

Patrice Bergeron - 64gp - 30g - 63p +21
Auston Matthews - 62gp - 34g -63p +25

If we include Matthews rookie season the offensive stats don't look so great for Bergeron. If Matthews was a bad defensive player you could say they are not close because Bergeron is just that good, but Matthews is a very good defensive player himself.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
In 2005-06. That was not even his best offensive season, that was the highest scoring year since the early 90s.

2005-06 was a very high scoring year for a lot of players. I bet it's a career year for most of the current active players in the NHL who played back then as well. Brian Gionta had 48 goals that year. Never cracked 30 in any other year.

Reactions: authentic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad