Hartnell Purposely Knocks Net Off...Only Gets 2 Minute Minor

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So in an action sequence in the 2nd period...Duchene throws the puck in front of the net, it goes past Rinne to Kerfoot. Kerfoot instead of shooting, gives a pass to Barrie who's come from the point which is tipped/saved by the Predators defender/Rinne. The puck goes and is hit in the middle of the air by another Predators defender to clear it to safety. During this time, Duchene has made his way behind the net where the puck ricochets off his visor back to the front of a wide open net where Barrie swats the puck. But just a second before the puck goes in, Hartnell comes from the point and purposely bumps the net off the moorings.

All he gets for this is a 2 minute minor for "Delay of Game". The ****? This type of play should automatically be a penalty shot as we saw in the AHL with the goaler.

I'll try to post a video if it comes up because Rinne could have saved the first one which was quite spectacular.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I always thought that should be a penalty shot when I saw it in the past.

Dominik Hasek was the master of knocking the net off when he was in trouble down low, and when he did it he wasn't even called for a penalty, just got a DZ faceoff.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I always thought that should be a penalty shot when I saw it in the past.

Dominik Hasek was the master of knocking the net off when he was in trouble down low, and when he did it he wasn't even called for a penalty, just got a DZ faceoff.
They re-showed it during intermission and Rinne actually saved the shot, which was hard to see at the camera angles they were using. Because Rinne saved it, it turned out only to be a two minute penalty instead of a penalty shot. I personally believe anyone who purposely knocks the net off should be a penalty shot, I mean the NHL wants to increase scoring right? But give credit where it is due, the refs made the right call via the rule book.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
garbage play but the correct call as per the rule book, should probably be changed.

***** for the record i dont say this because it is my team, in fact for a long time players have been getting tiny pushes from opposing teams and that somehow thrusts them forward to the net knocking it off and it is INCIDENTAL CONTACT, refs need to be a little more strict on this like maybe pre season face off strict

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
I believe the rule is that it's a penalty shot if done in the final 2 minutes or in overtime. If the actual description in the OP is true, and there was no goalie or skater between the puck and the net in any way (like the puck has a breakaway), then it should have been an awarded goal. If other players were behind the puck then yeah, 2 minutes is the correct call. Whether or not the rule should be this way isn't really important to the ref.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I don't know how to link it, but it's at around 2:05 of the game highlights on nhl.com.
Pretty rare to see that done so blatantly.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm not an engineer, but wouldn't a third mooring at the middle of the semi-circle prevent this the majority of the time?

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Probably should have been a penalty shot. Props to Hartnell for knowing the rule book well enough to know that it wasn't though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I believe the rule is that it's a penalty shot if done in the final 2 minutes or in overtime. If the actual description in the OP is true, and there was no goalie or skater between the puck and the net in any way (like the puck has a breakaway), then it should have been an awarded goal. If other players were behind the puck then yeah, 2 minutes is the correct call. Whether or not the rule should be this way isn't really important to the ref.
As I mentioned in the previous post, Rinne saved the shot which was why it wasn't awarded a penalty shot, but it is a rule I think all of us agree should be changed. Because what happened right after that is Barrie got a hooking penalty and completely nullified the original call, so Hartnell got a "get out of jail free card" pretty much.

I don't know how to link it, but it's at around 2:05 of the game highlights on nhl.com.
Pretty rare to see that done so blatantly.
All you need to do is copy and paste the address, no more needing [NHL] or [/yt]

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not an engineer, but wouldn't a third mooring at the middle of the semi-circle prevent this the majority of the time?

It would be a simple matter to anchor the net further, and make it more difficult to push off. The issue with that is the risk to player health. We've already seen that injuries can still result with the current set-up(see: Stamkos).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad