Hartley's 7 Game Segments

TrelivingtheDream

Mar 16, 2013
Leuven, BE
I'm not sure if this is thread worthy, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. It may also have been said before but I haven't come across anything regarding this yet.

This by no means a criticism of Hartley's 7 game segments but I've just noticed how badly the Flames perform in Game 7s of their segments, especially if they are already decided, so I decided to do some stat hunting:

All Game 7s: 4-4-1

Game 7s of Seg. already won: 1-4-0

All Games after Seg. decided: 4-11-1

While these segments have done a great job in maintains the Flames' focus it would appear that once the games become 'dead rubbers' their play drops off. Had anyone else noticed thi? Do you think it's just coincidence?

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I'm not sure if this is thread worthy, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. It may also have been said before but I haven't come across anything regarding this yet.

This by no means a criticism of Hartley's 7 game segments but I've just noticed how badly the Flames perform in Game 7s of their segments, especially if they are already decided, so I decided to do some stat hunting:

All Game 7s: 4-4-1

Game 7s of Seg. already won: 1-4-0

All Games after Seg. decided: 4-11-1

While these segments have done a great job in maintains the Flames' focus it would appear that once the games become 'dead rubbers' their play drops off. Had anyone else noticed thi? Do you think it's just coincidence?

It's probably a coincedence

Or maybe

It's

a

CONSPIRACY!

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
^ lolwut?

I think it's more telling that they actually try harder when the game 7 is meaningful, which is good. They aren't trying harder when the game 7 isn't meaningful, which is bad.

Saw this graphic on the Flames website. Not really anything but a neat graphical representation of how they've done.

segmentsmar162015.jpg

Segment 5 kinda sucked. Imagine if they won 3 of those (like they did in every other segment). We wouldn't be scoreboard watching as hard as we are, that's for sure.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
This is very telling, hopefully they don't lose that game 7 in playoffs after having the segment wrapped up.....

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've really always noticed the same thing and wondered why Hartley doesn't skip to the next segment once the current one is decided. If they truly are a motivational tool, then that motivation goes away once the segment is decided. If it has no effect, then the 7-game segments are completely useless anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad