Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Swamp Rabbits Thread *Part V*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
nyr2k2: can you name one prospect who scored a point per game in the juniors and there were no congratulatory postings about how good his season is? Sure, people will precept this by saying that it's not the best season ever, but it's always graded as a good season.

- Nejezchleb is mostly an offensive player and was an overager. He was thought to be good for scoring ppg.

- Tambellini is all-offense, he's lost on the ice most of the time when he's not firing the puck, yet he was thought to be terrific at 1.2 points per game.

- Bourque is too small to play on the bottom-6, yet he was doing great for scoring a point per game.

- Iverson came close to scoring a point per game for a couple of months: good recovery to a slow start.

- Morrison scores close to a point per game for a month? Same as Iverson and Morrison is 154 pounds.

Hell, you don't even need to score a point per game the whole season, just do it for a month or two, and there will be congratulatory posting here.

Yeah I can relate to this. For example, my five year old nephew successfully tied his shoes in front of me and my wife praised him. I had to remind them both that the sun is going to explode in 4.5 billion years and life is inherently meaningless.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That Skjei play is just bonkers.

The Pack are in 11th place but just 2 points out of 6th. If they could find a way to add a legitimate AHL All Star-caliber forward, they could do some damage.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Skjei was known as probably the best pure skater in his whole draft. Showed it there.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
With skjei and mcdonagh on the same left side we could really carry the puck out... Just worried about the log jam of slower guys on the right side

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers have Kreider, McD and Yandle that can do what Skjei did there, but you really see them accelerate like that this season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
With skjei and mcdonagh on the same left side we could really carry the puck out... Just worried about the log jam of slower guys on the right side

Yeah, but we really need Ds that sees the ice in front of them. In short, create goals.

Skjei is great to have and I like him, very good pick, but he won't solve anything for us.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Yeah, but we really need Ds that sees the ice in front of them. In short, create goals.

Skjei is great to have and I like him, very good pick, but he won't solve anything for us.

Skjei is miles better than staal in that regard and i think thats who he will eventually replace but short term he will most likely have to replace yandle as the 3 pair dman.

moving staal for skjei and girardi for mcilrath would do alot to improve how our defense moves with the puck, without the puck, and overall offensive performance

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
We all want to insert Skjei in Staal's spot, but the question is he ready for it?

If he's not let him develop as he isn't going to be the difference between a cup or not.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Skjei is miles better than staal in that regard and i think thats who he will eventually replace but short term he will most likely have to replace yandle as the 3 pair dman.

moving staal for skjei and girardi for mcilrath would do alot to improve how our defense moves with the puck, without the puck, and overall offensive performance

Just for the record, I never saw the same thing in McD either. I've posted several times on McD something along the line of "McD is great and I love him but I don't think he can become a No 1 D".

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Skeij's goal again, except I let it run a little past the earlier GIF. The Goalie's response is comical. He cracks his stick in half against the post and it goes flying behind the net...almost taking out the ref. He may have even hit him, lol...hard to tell.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
That Skjei goal is one of the best i've seen one of our prospects score since i've been posting here.

Reminds me of one of the Kreider goals from college when he gets a break away by just blowing past the D in 2-3 steps, can't find the video.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That Skjei goal is one of the best i've seen one of our prospects score since i've been posting here.

Reminds me of one of the Kreider goals from college when he gets a break away by just blowing past the D in 2-3 steps, can't find the video.

Dig up some Grachev goals! ;)

Russia is playing Canada (OHL/WHL version of it) and Grachev just gets a hold of the puck and leaves everyone on the ice in the dust and beats the goalie on a breakaway.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember both the Kreider and Grachev plays. They're good illustrations of how one high-end skill can make a guy look dominant against lower-level competition.

Skjei's wheels are nuts. Fortunately he's also a smart player with other skills that make it very likely he'll have a successful professional career.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I remember both the Kreider and Grachev plays. They're good illustrations of how one high-end skill can make a guy look dominant against lower-level competition.

Skjei's wheels are nuts. Fortunately he's also a smart player with other skills that make it very likely he'll have a successful professional career.
I'd say his floor is basically John Moore. Hopefully he knows where to be better than John Moore did.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Skjei is a great skater. He was thought to be among the top 2 or 3 in his draft class. That was a 3v3 situation and the Providence defender did not play that very well sticking too close to the winger on the boards he left a huge gap of ice for Skjei to fly through. Skjei has decent offensive potential IMO but offense is never going to be his calling card. He's not going to be the next Orr. Right now he's working some of the goofy rookie pro mistakes out of his system. I'm thinking he makes a real run at a job in our next training camp and if he doesn't grab one then it will be sometime later in the season. He's not far away. Graves seems pretty close too.

ThatsNashty61*

Skjei is a great skater. He was thought to be among the top 2 or 3 in his draft class. That was a 3v3 situation and the Providence defender did not play that very well sticking too close to the winger on the boards he left a huge gap of ice for Skjei to fly through. Skjei has decent offensive potential IMO but offense is never going to be his calling card. He's not going to be the next Orr. Right now he's working some of the goofy rookie pro mistakes out of his system. I'm thinking he makes a real run at a job in our next training camp and if he doesn't grab one then it will be sometime later in the season. He's not far away. Graves seems pretty close too.

Both Skjei and Graves appear to be on the cusp. If we move Yandle and/or Staal and do not get back a top 6 D we will find out really soon what they have.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Pack went up 2-0, then Albany came back and tied it 2-2. Pack won it in OT on a Nehring goal. It ended Albany's 11 game Home winning streak. Albany is a damn good AHL team and outshot us 34-17. 5 of our shots were in OT....we only had 12 shots in all of regulation (5-3-4).

Below are just a few Highlights...very short. 2 of them are Graves slapshots. They are accurate shots that break the sound barrier. lol. There is also a 3rd play thrown in there of Skeij doing what he does best....skating and throwing a pass to someone in the slot. Resulted in a very good scoring attempt.

Really like doing videos on Graves' slappers. Every game he is ripping away at the puck. It will be an elite slapper even in the NHL.

Ryan Graves Shots 01/21/2016

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Also want to mention a play made by Graves that did not make the highlights.

Graves was in the O-Zone and had pinched in a bit on the far borads. The puck got past him and two Devils had the puck just inside their own blue line. Graves took a couple of strides back towards the Albany Blue line and used his enormous reach to poke the puck away from the controlling Devil and the puck went directly to a Pack player in our own neutral zone. As a result of that....within 30 seconds we had regained the O-zone and Jensen scored the first goal of the game. It was one of those things that could go unnoticed, but turned out to be key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad