TV: Happy!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Twisted new show based on some graphic novel written by someone.

Happy! (TV Series 2017– ) - IMDb

Syfy in the US (I think) but on Showcase in Canada. Pilot was tonight.

Imagine if Chris Meloni's character in Law and Order SVU got drummed out of the NYPD, developed chronic alcoholism, dressed like a bum and became a low-rent hitman. Then he had a really, really, REALLY shitty day. After receiving a new assignment to kill some twenty-something mob idiots, the job goes awry in spectacular form due to a little girl's imaginary friend. You see, there was a children's concert at which a sweet, cherubic little girl was kidnapped by an even creepier guy than Nick Sax (Meloni). BUT, she had an imaginary friend: a little blue cartoon horse called Happy! This imaginary friend escaped from the kidnapper, flew around the city for a while, but eventually found Sax to get him to help his little girl friend! Hooray! However, grown men in their 40's with substance abuse issues and half the city's mob out to get them rarely if ever react well to the appearance of a flying cartoon horse nobody else can see.

But Nick Sax and Happy are now together and have to learn to get along. I think.

Pleasingly psychotic stuff. Chris Meloni gets to have fun again. Strong opening, hope it keeps up the gore and absurdly inappropriate humour.

Reactions: Legionnaire

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Second episode tonight.

Lessons we learned: Don't give imaginary friends cocaine, don't use them to cheat gangsters in poker games, regret sometimes lasts longer than romance, and don't play poker with Nick Sax. Even when the guy beside you is called Jabba the Hebrew.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Did I mention Patton Oswalt does the voice of the imaginary little blue unicorn and delivers lines like: "Nick...you're smiling at me like someone who doesn't know what smiling is for...!" and "I'm a little girl's imaginary friend, not yours, Nick. I don't want to know what that would look like."?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
3rd episode...less humour more urban decay and horrible backstory. Happy still got a few chuckles, and does Chris Meloni have a clause in his contract that we have to see his ass at least once in every series he's in? Didn't see Law and Order SVU enough to know if his bare ass made an appearance, but obviously it did in Oz. But then, so did everybody's.

Anyway, in this episode we're treated to some of the formative events leading to Nick Sax washing out of the NYPD and the part of humanity that showers and can go more than an hour without a shot of whiskey. Also, his search for the little girl continues, leading him to prostitutes, a brief homage to The Shining, and a truly gross stripper bar called The North Pole, where street and department store Santas can unwind among their own kind. Willie "Tugboat" Soke from Bad Santa would feel truly at home there. It's that gross.

Also Happy mistakes a rainbow dildo for the magic carrot that makes Santa's reindeer pull the sleigh. Spoiler alert: it's not.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I always find it funny the disconnect between fan groups. Hockey message board - Happy a graphic novel created by "Someone", in other circles he's known as "Grant Morrison" the man who created All-Star Superman, worked on Batman, X-Men, Justice League for a couple decades.

I don't say that with any pretentiousness, I wouldn't expect hockey fans to know Grant Morrison more than I'd expect comic nerds to know the name Jaromir Jagr.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I always find it funny the disconnect between fan groups. Hockey message board - Happy a graphic novel created by "Someone", in other circles he's known as "Grant Morrison" the man who created All-Star Superman, worked on Batman, X-Men, Justice League for a couple decades.

I don't say that with any pretentiousness, I wouldn't expect hockey fans to know Grant Morrison more than I'd expect comic nerds to know the name Jaromir Jagr.
...which is presumably what one would expect when encountering a thread about the tv show, not the graphic novel.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
This show is totally warped. The last warped show I truly loved was Banshee, this is much weirder but I am liking warped stuff as they're not the same old Superhero crap we have been getting pounded with.
It's very interesting so far, I would have thought it's a Cinemax show. lol

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Really unique show. Enjoying it. I wouldn't give it over an 8 like on IMDB, but I think it's a solid 7. Good entertainment.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The continuing adventures of Nick and Happy take them through Chinatown, which (surprise!) is another place Nick hates, but it's a good excuse for some chop-socky action as caricatures of Chinese gangsters come in waves out of the walls. Nick's former partner on the force continues to track Very Bad Santa in search of the missing children, and the Italian mob boss Mr Blue Scaramucci is annoyed by his daughter running around on reality tv. So is his boss, Bug. Who is dressed as a giant roach. At a party where people in latex bug suits do...things.

This show is f***ed up.

Don't order the Yin/Yang fish. I just googled that; apparently it's a real thing. Which is also f***ed up.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Season 2's out now. Can't say I'm liking it as much as the first one.

Sonny Shine's now seeking to ruin Easter, Blue Scaramucci's in prison but also possessed by a demon who's taking over his mind, Nick's trying to stay sober while still being disgusting, Hailey's been sent to a Catholic girls' school because nobody on this show knows how to deal with kids who have PTSD, Meredith's moonlighting as a real estate agent and still find a way to get her badge back by nailing Sonny Shine, the terrifying Smoothie is skinning people and leaving them inside chocolate bunnies, and Happy himself is still being annoying to Nick.

It's missing something.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Season 2's out now. Can't say I'm liking it as much as the first one.

Sonny Shine's now seeking to ruin Easter, Blue Scaramucci's in prison but also possessed by a demon who's taking over his mind, Nick's trying to stay sober while still being disgusting, Hailey's been sent to a Catholic girls' school because nobody on this show knows how to deal with kids who have PTSD, Meredith's moonlighting as a real estate agent and still find a way to get her badge back by nailing Sonny Shine, the terrifying Smoothie is skinning people and leaving them inside chocolate bunnies, and Happy himself is still being annoying to Nick.

It's missing something.

sounds good to me !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->