Happy Anniversary, Miracle on Ice

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can still remember watching it on TV that Friday night. My family and I were packing for our weekend up to Lake Placid.

Wasn't at the "Miraclie on Ice" but was in the building to see the US complete the dream and defeat Finland to secure the gold medal.

Old Hickory

I remember it clearly. One of the few positive things that happened that year. It was a dreary dreary time.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can still remember watching it on TV that Friday night. My family and I were packing for our weekend up to Lake Placid.

Wasn't at the "Miraclie on Ice" but was in the building to see the US complete the dream and defeat Finland to secure the gold medal.

The final was on Sunday morning, right John?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The final was on Sunday morning, right John?

Yes. Miracle on Ice was Friday at 5pm. The Finland game was definitely Sunday, and I think it was at like 11am.

We later then bought tickets off scalpers to watch the Soviets play Sweden ... the Soviets smoked the Swedes and Pelle Lindbergh 9-2 .... but by buying tickets to the game, we got to see the medal ceremony which was held right after.

Those USA velour sweatsuits were awesome.:yo:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think you really get a grasp of the impact of the Miracle on Ice when you see the talent that came out of the U.S. in the mid-to-late 80s, and into the early 90s. I'm not talking about guys like Chelios (drafted in 1981) or even LaFontaine (picked in 1983). I think those guys would have gone on to be great NHL players regardless of whether the Miracle on Ice happened or not. But those players who were between the ages of say, six and 13 at the time are the young players on whom the Miracle on Ice had the biggest impact. Those drafts from 1985 to 1991 rate among some of the best ever for the U.S. And it was those draft classes that contributed big-time to the U.S. winning the World Cup in 1996.

Some people have debated Herb Brooks place in the HHOF. They argue it's based on one event. Well, it is the builders' wing, not the coaches' wing. No event has meant more to US Hockey than the Miracle on Ice, not just in terms of the event itself and the memories, but the long-term impact on the game. It probably doesn't happen without Herb Brooks. And that's why Herb Brooks is an HHOF Builder.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I had the privilege of being in the standing room that Friday evening with my father. We had bought the tickets on the street for $50 each, and already had tickets for the Sweden-Finland game that followed. Thankfully, I can document this because I have the tickets as well as an album of photos taken at the US-Soviet game and other Lake Placid Olympic venues. You might say it solidified a passion for hockey that hasn't wavered, despite the Bruins' Cup drought.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I remember driving (just got my license, that's right, I'm old) to pick up my younger sister from her friend's house and hearing the result of the Russian game and I was so pumped, I just laid on the horn for about a minute. I'm sure there were people in this neighborhood who had no idea why some 17 year old kid was blasting his horn.

I also remember watching the final and when the Americans fell behind, I remember thinking, great, what a way to lose the gold and a medal because if they had lost, I believe they would have lost out on a medal.

toastman344*

I saw the Miracle Game Live...Not on tape delay...remember where I was etc., the whole nine yards...I was in a bar watching on a big screen...quite a good crowd too, even though it was early...everyone in the place was loudly cheering on dem Yanks...

In Canada, we got the game live...only the USA audience was shut out... till prime time

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I met Steve Christoff in an airport in Tokyo a couple months ago. He's a pilot now. I didn't bring up the subject of the 80 team - he's probably sick of it. Nice guy though.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I met Steve Christoff in an airport in Tokyo a couple months ago. He's a pilot now. I didn't bring up the subject of the 80 team - he's probably sick of it. Nice guy though.
That's pretty cool. I read about that in Wayne Coffey's book, The Boys of Winter. I highly recommend it to anyone intrested in the 1980 U.S. Olympic Team. Coffey explores the player's pre and post U.S. National Team lives as well.

There's also some interesting research and interviews regarding the rise of hockey in the Soviet Union.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad