Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 7 (MOD post 303)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analyzer*

Renaud Lavoie tweeted awhile back that Bournival was no longer in the Habs plans, which is why they sent him down. He's RFA next year so they will either try and trade him or won't qualify him.

Edit: http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/03/02/bournival-ne-serait-plus-dans-les-plans

Article is in French but says he's no longer in their plans

Hopefully we can get a 2015 pick for him.

Guy is fast, but not very good. Habs tend to draft players like that all the time. Though, we got him from Colorado.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He doesn't have the grit to play on the fourth line and has struggled with the confidence to play on the third. You see the potential with him but it's not high enough to be worth cultivating here. We're competing now, no room for mistakes from our bottom 6.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
He doesn't have the grit to play on the fourth line and has struggled with the confidence to play on the third. You see the potential with him but it's not high enough to be worth cultivating here. We're competing now, no room for mistakes from our bottom 6.

Bournival is one of those players that you probably see in practice and think 'wow..this guy is going to fit great on my second line.', then when you put him there your reaction turns to 'what the heck was I thinking....'

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Renaud Lavoie tweeted awhile back that Bournival was no longer in the Habs plans, which is why they sent him down. He's RFA next year so they will either try and trade him or won't qualify him.

Edit: http://www.tvasports.ca/2015/03/02/bournival-ne-serait-plus-dans-les-plans

Article is in French but says he's no longer in their plans

While I've never been a big Bournival fan, the article doesn't say much. Guess we'll find out in the next few months, but I don't see the harm in bringing him back for cheap depth for the AHL. But it would depend on where we end up roster wise in terms of the 50 contract limit.

As of now without counting any RFA's/UFA's, we have 33 under contract, 11 RFA's, 8 UFA's, and 2 players who if we don't sign we lose their rights (Engqvist by June, Didier by August) Out of those 21, it's anyone's guess who is back and who isn't, but I could see at least half gone.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
While I've never been a big Bournival fan, the article doesn't say much. Guess we'll find out in the next few months, but I don't see the harm in bringing him back for cheap depth for the AHL. But it would depend on where we end up roster wise in terms of the 50 contract limit.

As of now without counting any RFA's/UFA's, we have 33 under contract, 11 RFA's, 8 UFA's, and 2 players who if we don't sign we lose their rights (Engqvist by June, Didier by August) Out of those 21, it's anyone's guess who is back and who isn't, but I could see at least half gone.

I'm not against bringing him back for depth either. In fact, I wish he was healthy and available as depth for these playoffs. If we have an injury to our bottom 6 I I'd rather use Bournival than Malhotra.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have no issues with Bournival as a 13th forward.. but I can see why they might be looking to move him if they want to retain Mitchell/Flynn..

Andrighetto/Hudon are close to becoming NHL regulars.. Scherbak and McCarron will be developing in Hamilton next season.

Bournival, Thomas, Emelin, and Parenteau all look like targets that Bergevin will be trying to move once the trade window opens again.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I have no issues with Bournival as a 13th forward.. but I can see why they might be looking to move him if they want to retain Mitchell/Flynn..

Andrighetto/Hudon are close to becoming NHL regulars.. Scherbak and McCarron will be developing in Hamilton next season.

Bournival, Thomas, Emelin, and Parenteau all look like targets that Bergevin will be trying to move once the trade window opens again.

St. John's :sarcasm: ?

I agree, depends what we do with Parenteau but if we can't trade him, Bournival is out as I think Mitchell and Flynn are better.

I think Emelin will be traded if Tinordi develops like he was supposed to... Thomas will not be qualified imo or we will just take 'the chance' to lose him on waivers.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Beaulieu has been horrible in the playoffs. I doubt management would be comfortable putting him into the top 4 next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not against bringing him back for depth either. In fact, I wish he was healthy and available as depth for these playoffs. If we have an injury to our bottom 6 I I'd rather use Bournival than Malhotra.

Bournival would help the Ice Caps for sure and if injuries hit they know what he brings. As for the playoffs, in this series I would rather have Many Moe as Bournival would get his bell rung as he often does, as this has been a highly physical series. MM is a vet that knows what to do in the playoffs. Now next series we'll have to see who we get but against quicker teams Bournival's speed would come in handy.

I got to think Flynn gets the nod of Bournival easily, Mitchell if he would take a pay cut perhaps they can fit him in. It's hard to say how close Ghetto/Hudon are to becoming NHL regulars, Ghetto still has a lot to work on and Hudon since he didn't get a look I can't guess where he's at in terms of the NHL. We can't go into the off-season and hope one of them can steal a job, same for Scherbak/McCarron who one or both might surprise at camp we just won't know until we see them in action.

Beaulieu has been horrible in the playoffs. I doubt management would be comfortable putting him into the top 4 next year.

The blueline has big question marks for next year since we have so many UFA's, and aside from Pateryn, no one in the AHL has looked like they will steal a job. I still don't know what the future holds for Beaulieu other then he'll be on the team next year but if we lose Petry, it's going to be tough on the entire D core.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I can understand maybe trading Bournival but it would be stupid not offering him a Q.O. It's not like he's a terrible player. I'd rather sign him and risk losing him on waivers next season then let him become a free agent. He could be good depth.

OTOH, they let Ryan White walk. I wasn't too happy with that decision but this management group seems to know who they want and who they don't.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

That sounds like a great arrangement for the Habs but I don't think Bournival would go for that.....If he does, he needs a new agent.

Although minimal, I do think he can fetch some sort of value at the draft. Either a mid-round pick or another depth player that can play a 4th line NHL shift in case of injuries. Honnestly, I think Europe may be a better option at this point depending on which NHL teams are interested. Over there, he could contribute regularly and be a top 6 forward. The kid can skate, he just can't finish at an NHL level.

I all for re-singing Torrey Mitchell and I can see him wanting to re-sign here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I can understand maybe trading Bournival but it would be stupid not offering him a Q.O. It's not like he's a terrible player. I'd rather sign him and risk losing him on waivers next season then let him become a free agent. He could be good depth.

OTOH, they let Ryan White walk. I wasn't too happy with that decision but this management group seems to know who they want and who they don't.

I didn't like letting White go, he's looked good in philly from what I've heard.

That sounds like a great arrangement for the Habs but I don't think Bournival would go for that.....If he does, he needs a new agent.

Although minimal, I do think he can fetch some sort of value at the draft. Either a mid-round pick or another depth player that can play a 4th line NHL shift in case of injuries. Honnestly, I think Europe may be a better option at this point depending on which NHL teams are interested. Over there, he could contribute regularly and be a top 6 forward. The kid can skate, he just can't finish at an NHL level.

I all for re-singing Torrey Mitchell and I can see him wanting to re-sign here.

Bournival doesn't have much leverage at this point, if the Habs give him his QO he can refuse to sign it and hope he can catch on with another team. If not he would have to take the likely two way contract I would assume the Habs would offer. Unless he wants to play in one of the Euro leagues he doesn't have a lot of options. Then again if the Habs don't think he's in their plans perhaps they don't give him his QO which I would be surprised if so but wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I don't know what kind of trade value he has, I was shocked to hear there was interest at the trade deadline as he has really struggled since that hot streak to start his NHL career. But if some team is interest then great for us, would be happy to acquire another pick for Timmins to work his magic, and to replace one of the picks MB traded at the deadline.

Mitchell does make sense, but not at the 2.5M he makes now (1.9m cap hit) so if he's willing to take a home town discount then I'd bring him back.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I didn't like letting White go, he's looked good in philly from what I've heard.

Bournival doesn't have much leverage at this point, if the Habs give him his QO he can refuse to sign it and hope he can catch on with another team. If not he would have to take the likely two way contract I would assume the Habs would offer. Unless he wants to play in one of the Euro leagues he doesn't have a lot of options. Then again if the Habs don't think he's in their plans perhaps they don't give him his QO which I would be surprised if so but wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I don't know what kind of trade value he has, I was shocked to hear there was interest at the trade deadline as he has really struggled since that hot streak to start his NHL career. But if some team is interest then great for us, would be happy to acquire another pick for Timmins to work his magic, and to replace one of the picks MB traded at the deadline.

Mitchell does make sense, but not at the 2.5M he makes now (1.9m cap hit) so if he's willing to take a home town discount then I'd bring him back.

it's not so much about Bournival having leverage with Montreal, but more that he would just sign with another team where he would be given a chance to compete for a spot. If Bergevin said we want you for AHL depth, he's only 25, he's best to explore his options. If the Canadiens were serious about him, he'd be on the team now. He wouldn't be in the AHL. So, if a team think they will have some competition from another team for him, I can see them throwing a 5th/6th round pick the habs way to secure his rights before July 1.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
St. John's :sarcasm: ?

I agree, depends what we do with Parenteau but if we can't trade him, Bournival is out as I think Mitchell and Flynn are better.

I think Emelin will be traded if Tinordi develops like he was supposed to... Thomas will not be qualified imo or we will just take 'the chance' to lose him on waivers.

Well Tinordi's chance to develop any further this year are gone so, in your opinion, is good enough to replace Emelin right now?

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Massive bump here...

He is one of the elder statesman prospects in the system, signed through next year. Am I correct to assume that he loses his waiver exemption at age 25? To those that saw some Dogs games this season, what were your impressions? Do you think he has a future with the organization? Does him being one of the only left d-man prospects weigh in the decision?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it's not so much about Bournival having leverage with Montreal, but more that he would just sign with another team where he would be given a chance to compete for a spot. If Bergevin said we want you for AHL depth, he's only 25, he's best to explore his options. If the Canadiens were serious about him, he'd be on the team now. He wouldn't be in the AHL. So, if a team think they will have some competition from another team for him, I can see them throwing a 5th/6th round pick the habs way to secure his rights before July 1.

Well I don't think MB would say we want you for AHL depth, as he could easily say we hope you can force your way into the lineup. The difference would be a one way vs a two way as I don't see him getting a one way and a two way would show more that the Habs don't have as much faith in him.

But he's only 22 not 25, he's coming off his ELC so it's not uncommon to get a two way for your first contract after your ELC expired. Had he spent the bulk of his ELC in the AHL like many do, it wouldn't be much to do about anything since he would be re-signed with the hope that he might stick and if not the Habs would either trade him if they thought he wouldn't clear waivers or just send him down. Teams don't need to trade a 5th/6th to get his rights, they could just trade for him and give him his QO.

Granted he could look at the big picture and think maybe I don't have a future here so if he gets his QO from the Habs, he could refuse and try to sign elsewhere.

He is one of the elder statesman prospects in the system, signed through next year. Am I correct to assume that he loses his waiver exemption at age 25? To those that saw some Dogs games this season, what were your impressions? Do you think he has a future with the organization? Does him being one of the only left d-man prospects weigh in the decision?

I moved this to the AHL thread, no need to bump a thread from so long ago when it can be discussed here. Bennett has to clear waivers in 2017-2018 unless he plays in 60 NHL games before that.

Clearly the Habs must not be too thrilled with him since they opted not to call him up with the black aces. I have mixed views on his play this year, at times he was a healthy scratch while the coach opted to dress Joe Finley in his place. I thought he was solid for the most part, I'm sure it was a struggle to adjust from the short NCAA schedule to the much longer AHL schedule.

What he does bring is great skating, outstanding mobility, smarts, solid two way play. I do think he has a future with the Habs but his lack of size/strength is a concern. That said puck moving D are good to have, he is so smooth moving the puck up ice. He has a couple years in the AHL to work on things so we'll see how it goes.

Him being one of the few LD's we have doesn't hurt his chances for sure since we are so thin at LD's, but in the end he will need to up his level of play no matter what side he plays on. Plus perhaps a couple of our RD's can play LD. Ellis was doing it this year, not saying you want that long term as with prospects you want to put them in a position to succeed so playing their natural position is the best way to go but for some they can easily play their off-side while for others it's a nightmare.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
With Emelin's NTC, it almost garantee that he will be with Habs next year again.

We will see how Tinordi will be next year.

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes we don't know anything about I can't see any reason Emelin would agree to a trade.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
A bit off topic, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Magnus Nygren. He seems like he has all of the tools to be a contributor at the NHL level but obviously was injured the majority of the year. What was his injury? Does he fit into the Habs long term plans or well he bolt once again back to the SHL next season?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
A bit off topic, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Magnus Nygren. He seems like he has all of the tools to be a contributor at the NHL level but obviously was injured the majority of the year. What was his injury? Does he fit into the Habs long term plans or well he bolt once again back to the SHL next season?

Concussion.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

not off topic at all, a very important question. Personally I'm a huge fan of Nygren and his upside as I think he's something the Habs sorely need for their terrible PP. But I fear that he could be done with the organization as it sounds like he wants to play in the SHL and has zero interest in playing in the AHL. I can't say I blame him for not wanting to ride the buses in the AHL and he made only 70K in the AHL which is likely a lot less then he could have made in the SHL or KHL.

But you have to pay your dues and he hasn't done that so I do wonder if the Habs will just be feed up with him and cut ties. Personally at worst I would just give him his QO and let him go back to the SHL. This way the Habs would retain his NHL rights till June of 2019, so if he does good things in the SHL then the Habs would be able to bring him over ala the Emelin way where he would jump right into the NHL. It wouldn't cost us anything to give him his QO since he won't sign it and he won't count against the 50 contract limit so there's zero downside to the QO. But who knows the behind the scenes story, so if the Habs are that feed up with him they may just say to heck with it and cut ties with him for good. I hope they don't but I don't know the full story, just what I've seen on the ice in Sweden and the limited AHL games he's played.

I'm a big fan of his game so I hope they can not only keep him but bring him back next year but I think he needs more time in the AHL since he's missed so much time this year to the concussion (at least he says he's healthy again) but I don't see that happening from the sounds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad