Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 7 (MOD post 303)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
So Thrower was sent back to the ECHL? He has only three assists in 15 games, I hope he can sort it out, he has some good skills.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
So Thrower was sent back to the ECHL? He has only three assists in 15 games, I hope he can sort it out, he has some good skills.

Several players...I'm looking forward to next season (new fresh healthy start):

<Connor Crisp
<Thomas Nygren (10-20NHL games+ next season? the next Mark Streit?)
<Dalton Thrower (the next Wizniewski?)
<Morgan Ellis (from ECHL to AHL? the next offensive version of Gorges?)

and DLR...Scherbak...McCarron...of course!
(one of Scherbak or Hudon might make the BIG team next season...? or too early?).

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's a write off season for Thrower, Crisp and Nygren since they missed so much time, just like it was for Dietz last year when he missed a large chunk of the season. Hopefully Thrower follows in his former teammates footsteps as Dietz has shown good improvement over last year, if Thrower can do the same it's only going to help the Dogs.

Although I do wonder if Thrower rebounds and they sign Didier, with all those RD's next year, if they would consider sending Lernout back to the dub as an overager. I don't like sending 20 year olds back to the CHL to play against mostly 16-19 year olds but I guess it will come down to if they think Lernout can work on things in the WHL vs the ECHL if they feel he can't get quality ice time in Hamilton. I know that with Thrower it was different as had he been bourn 2 weeks later he would of had to have gone back to the WHL whereas Lernout turns 20 before the AHL season starts.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Without watching Lernout, I couldn't really say for sure, but generally speaking I don't see how a few days on either side of an arbitrary birthdate should really matter... he's got 3 years of major junior experience, 4 isn't going to hurt him. It may help. Playing another year in junior should be a strong consideration in his case.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Without watching Lernout, I couldn't really say for sure, but generally speaking I don't see how a few days on either side of an arbitrary birthdate should really matter... he's got 3 years of major junior experience, 4 isn't going to hurt him. It may help. Playing another year in junior should be a strong consideration in his case.

I haven't seen him either but have heard he could use time to work on his skating. I assume Ellis won't be back, but I wonder what they will do with Pateryn since he's on a one way but he hasn't had the best season so I don't know if he makes the NHL and I'm not overly worried about waivers. So if you have Pateryn plus Dietz and if Thrower impresses, that's going to make ice time hard to come by unless someone moves to LD or they opt to rotate. Then there's Didier, who I would sign but if he has to go the ECHL that's fine. I would consider bringing back Makowski (RD) on an AHL contract for depth as I liked him at Denver and he could help bring Didier along if they sign him.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Must win for the Dogs tomorrow. A W and they are back in a playoff position. They have had a much better second half. Need to play Condon as much as possible.

TroyM

Jan 23, 2004
Is Dietz hurt? I may have missed that. I have Crisp and Nygren as injuries but I noticed Dietz was out of the last game and IMO he's been playing really well so I'm sure it must be an injury. Finley I take it is just a healthy scratch as he's not been very impressive.

DogsFan*

Another game against Iowa tonight, another chance to get a much needed 2 points against a bottom dweller.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
big win against the worst team in the AHL, but the PP struggled again and dropped to 11.9% Dogs schedule is going to get tougher although they still have 2 against the Checkers, the 2nd worst team in the AHL. Next game vs the Marlies is big as we don't want them to win their game in hand.

DogsFan*

big win against the worst team in the AHL, but the PP struggled again and dropped to 11.9% Dogs schedule is going to get tougher although they still have 2 against the Checkers, the 2nd worst team in the AHL. Next game vs the Marlies is big as we don't want them to win their game in hand.

You really do have a knack for making everything sound negative. The team played very well last night. Pasted them in shots, owned the game in every aspect. No, they didn't score on the PP, but they're missing their best weapon (Nygren). It's not like the PP is inept. They have had their chances, they had a puck trickle along the goal line on the PP.

Dumont was great again last night, he really is the total package, and the Bulldogs leader. He leads by example every shift. Drew a penalty last night, was hitting, scored 2 goals, 7 shots on goal, just a great performance from him.

Hudon was impressive again last night. He is a treat to watch. The way he controls the game, especially on the PP, is so fun to watch. He is like PK Subban when he rushes the puck on the PP. So shifty, never really know what he is going to do, and almost always gains the zone. It is so obvious he is an NHL level player it's not even funny. One example I have from last night was when he forced the Wild player to bobble the puck in the neutral zone, as soon as he saw the player start to lose the handle, he took off into open space, waited for his teammate to get him the puck and strolled in on a breakaway. He will be on the Habs out of training camp next year, there is no doubt.

Carr was good again as well, had a few chances to score and ended up with 3 shots on goal.

Tinordi wasn't really noticeable, which is a good thing I would say. Left the game shortly after taking an elbow to the chin, but came back quickly. He uses his body very well to pin opponents to the boards and tie up the play. It's one of his best traits.

Condon... well what can you say about him? He's great. Solid positionally, technically sound, big body, doesn't overcommit. Made a game saving stop with about 3 seconds left, kicked out his pad and made a huge toe save on an empty net. Definite NHL potential.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You really do have a knack for making everything sound negative. The team played very well last night. Pasted them in shots, owned the game in every aspect. No, they didn't score on the PP, but they're missing their best weapon (Nygren). It's not like the PP is inept. They have had their chances, they had a puck trickle along the goal line on the PP.

Dumont was great again last night, he really is the total package, and the Bulldogs leader. He leads by example every shift. Drew a penalty last night, was hitting, scored 2 goals, 7 shots on goal, just a great performance from him.

Hudon was impressive again last night. He is a treat to watch. The way he controls the game, especially on the PP, is so fun to watch. He is like PK Subban when he rushes the puck on the PP. So shifty, never really know what he is going to do, and almost always gains the zone. It is so obvious he is an NHL level player it's not even funny. One example I have from last night was when he forced the Wild player to bobble the puck in the neutral zone, as soon as he saw the player start to lose the handle, he took off into open space, waited for his teammate to get him the puck and strolled in on a breakaway. He will be on the Habs out of training camp next year, there is no doubt.

Carr was good again as well, had a few chances to score and ended up with 3 shots on goal.

Tinordi wasn't really noticeable, which is a good thing I would say. Left the game shortly after taking an elbow to the chin, but came back quickly. He uses his body very well to pin opponents to the boards and tie up the play. It's one of his best traits.

Condon... well what can you say about him? He's great. Solid positionally, technically sound, big body, doesn't overcommit. Made a game saving stop with about 3 seconds left, kicked out his pad and made a huge toe save on an empty net. Definite NHL potential.

When your PP is 28th in the league and under 12%, it's inept. Glad they beat the worst team in the AHL again. Good for the Dogs that they played the worst team 4 out of the last 5 games, they need the points. Still have big concerns that such a bad PP and an offense that consistently struggles to score won't come back to bite them. Although if management wants their AHL team to be like the NHL team, having a bad PP, a team that struggles to score goals and riding a hot goalie then they got it down pat.

edit: didn't see the game. listened to a little of it on the radio, how did former Hab draft picks Stejskal and Archambault look as I see they were recalled from the ECHL.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Would Hudon benefit from playing another year in the AHL? Is his future as a center or a winger?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Would Hudon benefit from playing another year in the AHL? Is his future as a center or a winger?

My guess would be winger that can fill in at center if need be. I think we need to see how he handles himself in the NHL first to see if he can stick. He's having the best year of any Hab prospect in Hamilton since Subban and he plays a good 2 way game with smarts and some sandpaper which imo is going to bode well for him. But we'll have to see how his lack of strength effects him at the NHL level and you never know how a prospect's offensive game will translate at the higher level.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My guess would be winger that can fill in at center if need be. I think we need to see how he handles himself in the NHL first to see if he can stick. He's having the best year of any Hab prospect in Hamilton since Subban and he plays a good 2 way game with smarts and some sandpaper which imo is going to bode well for him. But we'll have to see how his lack of strength effects him at the NHL level and you never know how a prospect's offensive game will translate at the higher level.

Is he playing as a center right now?

If he is then personally I think he could be a potential replacement for Pleks. I like Pleks but just shift to shift he doesn't create enough offensively. He still somehow puts up good points though. He's such a hard player to evaluate IMO.

DogsFan*

When your PP is 28th in the league and under 12%, it's inept. Glad they beat the worst team in the AHL again. Good for the Dogs that they played the worst team 4 out of the last 5 games, they need the points. Still have big concerns that such a bad PP and an offense that consistently struggles to score won't come back to bite them. Although if management wants their AHL team to be like the NHL team, having a bad PP, a team that struggles to score goals and riding a hot goalie then they got it down pat.

edit: didn't see the game. listened to a little of it on the radio, how did former Hab draft picks Stejskal and Archambault look as I see they were recalled from the ECHL.

Like I said, they're missing a big weapon in Nygren, who is a big contributor on the PP. Right now, they're surviving with it the way it is, and honestly their 5v5 play lately has been very good.

Archambault had a point, but I can't recall much else. The Bulldogs really dominated the game despite the score. Stejskal took a high sticking penalty for crosschecking Dumont.

Is he playing as a center right now?

If he is then personally I think he could be a potential replacement for Pleks. I like Pleks but just shift to shift he doesn't create enough offensively. He still somehow puts up good points though. He's such a hard player to evaluate IMO.

He is a C. He is honestly a treat to watch and one of the Habs prospects I'm most excited about. He just has the ability to totally slow the game down to whatever speed he wants. Excellent puck distributer, he typically mans the point on the PP. I'd say its more likely he replaces Desharnais than Plekanec.

Also forgot to mention Andrighetto, since he's been back, he's been a shadow of himself. He hasn't been shooting nearly as much as he's been in the past, and looks to be having a real tough time out there sometimes. He definitely needs to learn to use his teammates better, as well as improving his defensive game a little bit.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Also forgot to mention Andrighetto, since he's been back, he's been a shadow of himself. He hasn't been shooting nearly as much as he's been in the past, and looks to be having a real tough time out there sometimes. He definitely needs to learn to use his teammates better, as well as improving his defensive game a little bit.

It makes me wonder what happened? Is it just a sophomore slump or has something else affected his game? He seemed like he was playing well the first couple of games with the Habs, then got progressively bumped down in the lineup and finally shipped backed to Hamilton. Was his confidence shaken?

It will be interesting to see how he performs down the stretch.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
It makes me wonder what happened? Is it just a sophomore slump or has something else affected his game? He seemed like he was playing well the first couple of games with the Habs, then got progressively bumped down in the lineup and finally shipped backed to Hamilton. Was his confidence shaken?

It will be interesting to see how he performs down the stretch.

Don't worry MT made him a better player by killing his confidence :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad